Vaccinated the first bunch today.

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
First 220 done. Sorted a bit for colour as we hadn't when we started feeding. I built these corrals the first time in 1987. Rebuilt most of them in 2016 and 17. Two of us worked these cows in a little less than 3 hours. Scourbos vaccine, Boss pour on, replaced a couple tags, pregged a couple cows (one was open), shortened the horns on one that was close to ingrown and had time to plow snow later. Was a good day.
3 year olds come home tomorrow. We wintered these cattle 5 miles from the home place.

They look like pretty usefull yards Dave. Timber yards are certainly a lot quieter than the clang of metal yards. I usually associate timber yards with poorly fitting gates as posts start to lean, alleyways vary in width etc but these look all straight and uniform and gates fit well.
Those black cows look very thick.
Ken

Worked another 230ish today.

Taking a dozen that preferred not to carry calves full term to the sale tomorrow.

Have one more bunch to move home on Friday, work them Saturday and the heifers Sunday.

You Southerners please send heat and a bit of wind..........

Sorry, don't have any spare heat to send!
Around here a lot of people had abortion problems from the few windstorms we had knocking down the ponderosa pines

This year is the first time I haven't had any in a couple years.. I said screw shelter for the cows, you're not getting anywhere NEAR a pine tree.. Well look at that.. no abortions!
I forsee myself burning lots of pine in the shop for the next few years, anything pine in a location where they can get to it is probably going to come down.. not only that, but the pines suck ALL the nutrients and water for a 100ft radius under them and I notice the dry spots in my fields just 2 weeks after irrigating

Cattle and facilities look nice.. care to come do mine?? :p

Nesikep said:
Sorry, don't have any spare heat to send!
Around here a lot of people had abortion problems from the few windstorms we had knocking down the ponderosa pines

This year is the first time I haven't had any in a couple years.. I said screw shelter for the cows, you're not getting anywhere NEAR a pine tree.. Well look at that.. no abortions!
I forsee myself burning lots of pine in the shop for the next few years, anything pine in a location where they can get to it is probably going to come down.. not only that, but the pines suck ALL the nutrients and water for a 100ft radius under them and I notice the dry spots in my fields just 2 weeks after irrigating

Cattle and facilities look nice.. care to come do mine?? :p

Most of these cattle didn't have access to pine this winter but we have found even the brown needles from dead pine will abort.

I can give you measurements and encouragement...…... ;-)

If I rebuilt them when they should have been rebuilt, it would be time to redo them again now.. More bale twine.. more bale twine!

Third bunch sorted and done.

Heifers left to do tomorrow unless the forecast bit of snow arrives.

Latest posts