Using bulls of the past

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
leeshy":38c1nbwi said:
Alan you are right. we seem to get cought up in trends and fads and sometime take offence when one questions our opnion. After all that is what this board is about. If one wants to study the future There is something good that every bull has to offer. I asked my father just a couple of days ago what do you think would happen if we bred some power house cows of today to bulls of the past like Quester 604M, WSF Mainstream, BT CL Domino 15G, WSF PRL JUSTA BANNER , JR NICK THE BUTTLER and so on what do you think?

I as 1848 stated, I too would like to hear your Dad's thoughts on this, as well as others.... Good question.

My opinion; Great bulls of the past, in any breed, are just that bulls in the past. In theory, if we as breeders are doing things right :roll:, we should be improving our herds with every breeding. I know that doesn't happen every time due to bulls and cow not "clicking" in the breeding. So with a bull like Just A Banner, or even Vindicator while they were great bulls, they should have thrown better bulls since their day. Now with that being said, would I give up a Banner or Vindicator daughter if she was a good producing cow? Heck no :D . Any seed stock producer should be making an attempt to move forward with their respective breed.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":3026a33g said:
leeshy":3026a33g said:
Alan you are right. we seem to get cought up in trends and fads and sometime take offence when one questions our opnion. After all that is what this board is about. If one wants to study the future There is something good that every bull has to offer. I asked my father just a couple of days ago what do you think would happen if we bred some power house cows of today to bulls of the past like Quester 604M, WSF Mainstream, BT CL Domino 15G, WSF PRL JUSTA BANNER , JR NICK THE BUTTLER and so on what do you think?

I as 1848 stated, I too would like to hear your Dad's thoughts on this, as well as others.... Good question.

My opinion; Great bulls of the past, in any breed, are just that bulls in the past. In theory, if we as breeders are doing things right :roll:, we should be improving our herds with every breeding. I know that doesn't happen every time due to bulls and cow not "clicking" in the breeding. So with a bull like Just A Banner, or even Vindicator while they were great bulls, they should have thrown better bulls since their day. Now with that being said, would I give up a Banner or Vindicator daughter if she was a good producing cow? Heck no :D . Any seed stock producer should be making an attempt to move forward with their respective breed.

JMO,
Alan

Alan,

I agree with your statement to a point....

The question I would ask is as great as some of these bulls have been did the breeders go in the right direction.
Some of the selections had to be made by personal ideals or peer pressure of the day.

With that said you are right the bulls of today SHOULD be better genetics???
I dont think we should go back, but I am in favor of dipping into a gene pool from back in the day now and then.

As a last with the horned issue going on, I think there will be a move to try and "rebuild" the genetics that will surely be lost from the groups that are positive.
And well they should, alot of good bulls stand to be removed as sires.

I think bulls of the past can be used to add a specific trait.

For instance if your herd lacks depth of chest, Vindicator are almost a sure hit to add that to his progeny as I have seen very few Vindicator sired cattle that lacked in this department. In fact most of the Victor line will do that for you. The downside is that they typically had very little pigment so it will be a give and take situation.

I think re-introducing some easy keeping genetics will do the hereford breed as a whole much more good than chasing more performance. How much it will affect performance I am not sure. One of the board members do still use or have recently used Justa Banner, hope he chimes in on this.

I agree with red. Today's bulls SHOULD outperform sires from the 80s and 70s; but if you are AIing 50 cows....I don't see where breeding four or five too Enforcer 107H, 15G, (I wouldn't consider using Nick the Butler because of the whole hairless calf thing) Braxton Giant I, Justa Banner, or in Angus Scotch cap, Pine Drive Big Sky, Tehama Bando, etc is a bad experiment at all. Afterall, N Bar Emulation EXT is a father to daughter cross of Emulation 31 (a 1968 model sire).

KNERSIE":q632dqk7 said:
I think bulls of the past can be used to add a specific trait.

For instance if your herd lacks depth of chest, Vindicator are almost a sure hit to add that to his progeny as I have seen very few Vindicator sired cattle that lacked in this department. In fact most of the Victor line will do that for you. The downside is that they typically had very little pigment so it will be a give and take situation.

I think re-introducing some easy keeping genetics will do the hereford breed as a whole much more good than chasing more performance. How much it will affect performance I am not sure. One of the board members do still use or have recently used Justa Banner, hope he chimes in on this.

While I agree that some past bulls may be able to add a missing trait to a herd, don't you stand to lose some of the other traits by using past bulls? ie; carcuss values, pigmention, (as you stated above), milking quality.
I would think there would be a current bull that could add a trait without stepping backward on another trait. Doing this doesn't mean chasing the new bull of the month.

Alan

Does anyone have a map. No one around me knows where their going. Most don't know where they were. And I've seen a few pass me a few times already. I think they may be going in circles :shock:

I may be looking at things a little bass ackwards when it comes to some of the genetics.
I have done some research on the genestar data on certain bulls. Well the ones with a lot of stars are pretty pricey. So what I have done is trace back through the pedigrees of many many animals and tried to find the common denominator. From that list I have come across some line bred bulls. From that list I have chosen those that have fit my other criteria. Some of these bulls are so old that I am getting the semen in ampules.
So far the results have been great.
For and added bonus the bulls EPD's all have high accuracy % scores.
I would assume one could trace back other genetic characteristics as well.

novatech":26h6oawj said:
I may be looking at things a little bass ackwards when it comes to some of the genetics.
I have done some research on the genestar data on certain bulls. Well the ones with a lot of stars are pretty pricey. So what I have done is trace back through the pedigrees of many many animals and tried to find the common denominator. From that list I have come across some line bred bulls. From that list I have chosen those that have fit my other criteria. Some of these bulls are so old that I am getting the semen in ampules.

Now that is really interesting, I don't think its backwards at all, that is about as ground breaking as it gets in my book. You are breeding brahmans?

KNERSIE":3bl2c950 said:
novatech":3bl2c950 said:

Now that is really interesting, I don't think its backwards at all, that is about as ground breaking as it gets in my book. You are breeding Brahmans?
Yes Brahmans. The one known for the toughest meat in the industry.
The way I look at it is that although you can breed animals up to a certain standard, every time we do it we have diluted the genetics. So we end up with less keepers. The genetics are just not strong enough to constantly pass along the desirable traits. By backing down the road a bit we may find the strength of genetics we need and develop more consistency. It was Doc. Harris that brought this to mind when I read about the cattle they were breeding with concentrated genetics.

This year, approximately 25% of my breeding was to bulls with semen stored in ampules, such as HCJ Beau Rollo 60 and W Beau Rollo 10. One of my herd sires is out of Adv Modest Lamp 57, who was born in 1952. I also bred to 15G (straws) and a couple of exceptional performance but relatively unused L1 bulls from the 80's. For modern genetics, I bred to M326, Kudzu, and Wideload.

My best cow in terms of performance is a 15G daughter out of a Headline S133 daughter (DTF Kaleigh 15G 917). She has produced my best performing bull, weaned a steer at 700 lbs without creep, and produced 1 DOD thus far. She competes against the best modern genetics I can find. After breeding her to a son twice, I recently flushed her to M326 and W Beau Rollo 10.

Growth is definitely sacrificed when I use bulls prior to 1970. Hardiness, volume and carcass characteristics seem to improve. The first few I've ultrasounded indicate that they do not share the same strong correlation between BF and IMF that modern genetics do.

FWIW, pigment is definitely lost using pre-1970 bulls, but I have noticed that the calves from some sires tend to recover from pinkeye quickly and do not have spots. Modern calves in the same field have to be treated or they develop major problems.

Tom Underwood":xozn202u said:
This year, approximately 25% of my breeding was to bulls with semen stored in ampules, such as HCJ Beau Rollo 60 and W Beau Rollo 10. One of my herd sires is out of Adv Modest Lamp 57, who was born in 1952. I also bred to 15G (straws) and a couple of exceptional performance but relatively unused L1 bulls from the 80's. For modern genetics, I bred to M326, Kudzu, and Wideload.

My best cow in terms of performance is a 15G daughter out of a Headline S133 daughter (DTF Kaleigh 15G 917). She has produced my best performing bull, weaned a steer at 700 lbs without creep, and produced 1 DOD thus far. She competes against the best modern genetics I can find. After breeding her to a son twice, I recently flushed her to M326 and W Beau Rollo 10.

Growth is definitely sacrificed when I use bulls prior to 1970. Hardiness, volume and carcass characteristics seem to improve. The first few I've ultrasounded indicate that they do not share the same strong correlation between BF and IMF that modern genetics do.

FWIW, pigment is definitely lost using pre-1970 bulls, but I have noticed that the calves from some sires tend to recover from pinkeye quickly and do not have spots. Modern calves in the same field have to be treated or they develop major problems.

Tom

This is interesting. Tell me what are your overall plans?
Also tell me who you have used that has surprised you in anyway either good or bad.
Not pickin in just interested in what you are doing.

The question I have is this:

What exactly are we improving?

Most properly managed cattle today have plenty of performance.

Actually, my belief is that there is too much performance which people in drought stricken areas with short winter feed are going to learn to their extreme detriment.

Higher performance leads to higher input costs, kinda like the grain farmers gloating over high corn prices till they figure out what the increases in land, anhydrous, P and K, seed and chemicals has cost them.

I forget the exact percentage difference on choice grades, but cattle in the 60s and 70s blew todays cattle out of the water on quality grade.

When I was on the judging team at Purdue, Doc Hunsley told us about the pendulum, swinging back and forth. Cattle breeders chasing single trait selection in one direction and then going back the other way when they realized their mistake.

Many of the so called cattle breeders of today are doing nothing but chasing extremes or single traits. For cripes sake take a look at the sale catalogs coming out, there are some very poorly structured, downright ugly cattle being sold for big bucks.

In the early eighties, late seventies, there were some really good cattle being bred, that to me seemed just right. We bought a Justa Banner son from Islers, that was a great bull, I would like to have him today. We ai'd his daughters to vindicator and boy they were something.

What I am trying to do, is to produce a five-six frame animal that is thick, good milking, but not too much, good uddered with low birth weight and is Tender. I do not particulary find the super high weaning weight cattle impressive, because I know from my own herd that those cows eat a lot more than the average cow with a six weight calf does.

I also think that the guys that think that 4 weight cattle at weaning is the wave of the future are kidding themselves. ie, the Colorado Kool aid drinkers. I want cattle that are efficient and give me the option to go after the grassfed market or the conventional market.

I am not convinced that the "Good" cattle today are actually better than what we had 25 years ago, all things considered.

KMG I think the direction to go is up to the breeder in what they want to do. You mentioned your goals and they sound great.
we have a different set of goals for our herd.
I keep hearing stories from both my husband and his uncle about the hereford cattle back in the 70's & 80's. I'm not sure if we personally would go back to those old bulls. It would be up to each breeder.

The concept of breeding "older" genetics is not necessarily taking a step back.

For example, I myself have used some "older" shorthorn genetics. Some of these older bulls were bulls ahead of their time and performance wise are performing with the best of the modern bulls.

In recent years chasing show model bulls has increased BW, lowered WW and YW and decreased Mat. Milk, and created cattle with less capacity and longevity. Therefore, to correct these problems it is sometimes necessary to dip back sometimes.

I think the key is to use bulls from both newer genetics and older genetics that will work together to produce the desired end product of longevity, performance and carcass.

Especilly when the most newer genetics bulls of functionality trace to a handfull of older genetic bulls. Some of the newer models are better but some are not as good. Therefore why not incorporate the best genetics regardless of if old or new.

Simply put use the best genetics available regardless if they are "old" or "new"

I agree with phillse, breeding older genetics is not necessarly a step back. In about 2 months we will calve 5 flush cows, the dam is a 10yr old Glacier Logan 210(born in 1992) cow and we bred her to FCC Rambo 502(born in 1985) Ratios: BW106 WW134 YW 126. Rambos dam(born in 1982) Ratios: BR 91, WW 114 & MPPA 110.8, you have to do some searching to find this kind of production past or present so just because it's older genetic and very proven I don't think it shoud be disregarded. I'm a little scared of what people think is improving the different breeds, I think several people must agree, we stole Rambo 502 semen at $900.00/straw, it has sold at Denver stock show for $1400.00/straw. Remember this is a bull born 12yrs ago and is still in high demand.

I'm just glad to see more people questioning what "improvment" is. Bigger and more is not alwasy improvment.

dun":33gydi8c said:
I'm just glad to see more people questioning what "improvment" is. Bigger and more is not alwasy improvment.

Much of the so called "improvement" was actually just getting the diffrences between breeds less pronounced. In the process many of the good traits the original breeds offered got lost.

If anyone asked 75 years ago which breed will do well on the dry western range everyone would have answered hereford. Nowadays herefords milk like simmentals used to, grow like charolais used to, the downside is that they have also lost a lot of that easy keeping performance that came from being moderate in all traits. The same goes for other breeds.

I have read often about angus being high strung on the boards and from talking with a few angus breeders. I asked about this to an old time angus breeder the other day and he said back in his days angus was a very docile breed, similar to hereford. Was this also your experience back then? If so when did that change?

I guess we just spoil our cows. We pull the calves at 6-7 months and depending upon pasture conditions we feed them.

Listening to the guys who raised them in the 70's and 80's (talked to the uncle again.) He raised registered Herefords years ago and talked about steer calves weighing in at 700-800# at weaning time with no hormones. I guess in away we are going backwards, personally speaking, by wanting to bring that back into our herd. We got them up to 600#.

I luv herfrds":1tl2rt6y said:
I guess we just spoil our cows. We pull the calves at 6-7 months and depending upon pasture conditions we feed them.

Listening to the guys who raised them in the 70's and 80's (talked to the uncle again.) He raised registered Herefords years ago and talked about steer calves weighing in at 700-800# at weaning time with no hormones. I guess in away we are going backwards, personally speaking, by wanting to bring that back into our herd. We got them up to 600#.

YOUR UNCLE is exaggerating the positive characteristics of the older Herefords. They had a lot of good qualities; BUT growth was not their strong point. Most modern lines will easily outgrow most lines of the 70s. The BIGGEST Herefords of all time did pop up in the mid to late 80s; but many of the 'racehorse' style Herefords were hit and miss on the growth traits and many of their daughters were so huge they were expensive too maintain.

Tom

This is interesting. Tell me what are your overall plans?
Also tell me who you have used that has surprised you in anyway either good or bad.
Not pickin in just interested in what you are doing.

Honestly, my direction continues to evolve. Currently, my goal is to produce consistent tender grass-fed beef that can grade high-choice or better in roughly 30 months. Further, I'd like long-lived, low input cattle that can weather tough times.

I believe that it is necessary for feeder cattle to consistently have their nutritional needs met in order to maintain tenderness. The are studies to back up this belief. Therefore, in order to stick with grass and consistently produce a high-quality tender product, total required nutrients need to be scaled by significantly. Conversion efficiency and lower growth are the only two ways to scale back nutrient requirements.

Further, I want cattle to finish with marbling rather than backfat at a later age on grass. I have come across some very old Hereford genetics that I believe lend themselves to marbling more than backfat. A couple of more years of ultrasound data will confirm or refute my guess.

As for my observations, take them for what they are worth. They are my opinion based on limited sample sets, but I believe the observations will hold – otherwise, I would not make them. In terms of gain on grass, I've found that 15G and Headline S133 genetics do well. Rusty's cows build great condition on grass after the calf is weaned, but they milk very heavily. Therefore, the longevity does not seem to be there, despite Rusty himself living a long time. 517's calves tend to do much better with creep. Some of his dams are low-milking, but they are not hardy. 774 adds frame (for me – I'd guess his progeny average around 6-6.5 frame), quite a bit of white, and marbling. Steers out of 774 really grow on grass, but I'm not a fan of the quality and I've had a few steers from my 774 son that were not very tender. I think BTF Grazer 540 5015 may add more hardiness and more conditioning than any other modern bull I've found, but my best dam from him produces calves that finish with too much backfat (they still marble fairly well). Limited Edition calves do well with supplements but fall apart when only on grass in a drought. 9126J produces large cows, and they seem somewhat hardy with fairly good carcasses. My Knight Ryder influenced genetics seem to outgrow all other genetics. They come out large, but they keep growing. Then again, the calves look like ponies when they are yearlings. They also are difficult to get to breed back when only on grass.

For the older genetics, HCJ Beau Rollo 60 calves almost look like M326 calves at birth (except they average 65 instead of 80 lbs), but at 90 days the 60th calves have butts! They also are about 10 pounds behind the M326 calves at 90 days. The most distinctive calves I have ever had have been from EEH Lamplighter 21. Bred to modern genetics, they average less than 60 lbs at birth, and they come out looking like little blocks. I can tell his calves versus all other genetics at 100+ yards away. They also grow very slowly until about one year of age. Thereafter, they grow fairly quickly. In terms of slow growth, the 21st calves trail M326 calves in total weight by roughly 70-85 pounds at only 90 days of age (yes, I know that's a lot for 90 days). Kudzu calves seem to grow about like M326 calves. My guess is that Kudzu calves will outgrow from weaning to yearling versus M326, because they seem to already have a little more frame at 90 days.

Latest posts