used vegetable oil in diesel engines

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
I watched the show Myth Busters the other day and they used old fast food oil that they strained and used it like diesel fuel. They said that there were no modifications done to the diesel engine. They did strain the oil before using. If I remember right the oil did a little better on mileage than diesel.

I'm curious-What would be the long term ramifications to the motor (and any other parts that the oil goes through), if any to using the oil instead of diesel?

Gate Opener":dyz3e5nd said:
I watched the show Myth Busters the other day and they used old fast food oil that they strained and used it like diesel fuel. They said that there were no modifications done to the diesel engine. They did strain the oil before using. If I remember right the oil did a little better on mileage than diesel.

I'm curious-What would be the long term ramifications to the motor (and any other parts that the oil goes through), if any to using the oil instead of diesel?

Do a search there was an intense debate over this nothing wrong with biodiesel, I remember used cooking oil caused a lot of problems.

Thanks CB

I figured the used oil would be too easy. I like watching Myth Busters but the problem is they don't show experiments results long term. Probably will be a lot of tore up diesels now.

My boyfriends dad owns a convenience store in the Giddings area and he uses the used vegetable oil from the fryers in his diesel pickup. He strains it using pantyhose and puts it straight into his truck. He has been doing this for the past five years with no mechanical problems.

Viscosity. It is my understanding that used vegetable oil is more viscous than diesel fuel and needs to be heated to reduce the viscosity so that it will flow through the injectors correctly.

MythBusters did a show some time ago saying it was impossible to Robin Hood wood arrows from a traditional stick recurve bow. They said Hollywood used special effects to do it on TV and movies.

BS - I know of 6 guys from our archery club who have done it either accidently or deliberately.

That said, I'm curious about the used cooking oil. McD's may have yet another useful byproduct.

The deisel engine was invented and originally designed to run on straight vegtable oil. The basic design is still the same and cleanliness of the used oil would be the only long term effect. They make tank heaters to address the vicosity issue. I'd say myth busters wasted a show. This isnt a new science.

I have seen traditional wood recurves sink arrows into a previous shot shaft many times. I imagine it would be hard to consistently do on purpose, but it definitely isnt an impossible feet.

The biggest problem I see is everywhere you drive, you will smell like freedom fries. :lol:

Personally I wouldn't risk it in the newer diesel engines. Filters, injectors, and other equipment is designed to pass/filter diesel oil only. Why risk a multi thousand $$ repair bill to save a couple hundred?

They make cheap conversion kits that you can put on yourself to address those issues Flaboy. I even saw a program on TV about a class at some community center in CA where they help you install them on your car

3MR":2zgcrn4c said:
They make cheap conversion kits that you can put on yourself to address those issues Flaboy. I even saw a program on TV about a class at some community center in CA where they help you install them on your car

Yeah, I had a uncle that played that game one time. I remember asking him why it was making so much noise. He said it's the new fuel. About six months later it blew up.

I might try it in a 6.9 or pre-powerstroke 7.3 though.

seems I would have quite using "the new fuel" :lol: Ive seen feazable do it yourself at home plans to turn the used oil into bio-diesel. I think thats probably what I would do if I was so inclined.

The only deisel I have is my tractor so it just isnt worth the time or effort at this point even with the current price.

The folks I've seen run that set-up around here start the truck and warm the engine, (and veg oil), up to operating temperature on diesel before switching over to fry grease. And when they shut the truck down, they purge all the lines with diesel first. Seems like a pain in the butt to me.

cfpinz

The problem with used cooking oil is acidity and viscosity.
Used cooking oil is a train wreck looking for a spot to happen.
I wouldn't run anything in mine but diesel or bio made by a reputable company. Today's diesel has a lubricicty package added. You might save ten bucks in fuel but spend thousands in injector pump's fuel lines etc.

a boy down the road has a "Vegistroker" system (or something like that) on his PSD...starts up on regular diesel then runs off pure vegi. oil...I think he's put on close to 100,000 miles since he's been running vegi oil...and he aint had a problem yet

NamVet_Farmer44":3dln12vk said:
a boy down the road has a "Vegistroker" system (or something like that) on his PSD...starts up on regular diesel then runs off pure vegi. oil...I think he's put on close to 100,000 miles since he's been running vegi oil...and he aint had a problem yet

Lot of difference in bio vegtable oil and used oil.

I would not use vegitable oil in my diesel. I have (and do) use Biodiesel in both my truck and one of my tractors but there is a lot of difference between Biodiesel and straight vegi oil, the first of which is the percentage. Commercial Biodiesel in only 5 % vegi oil although when I first started using the stuff it was B85 (85 %).

The down side to the Biodiesel is that it really cleans out your system. Be prepared to change your filters frequently during the first several hours of operation.

Our bus. partner gets used cooking oil from resturants and runs it through this contraption that he built. He filters it, adds in some components and runs it in his truck and tractor. When he's running either you can tell because the exaust smells like mexican food. He did say that he had to change out the fuel filter several times when he first started using it and you don't want the switch back and forth between diesel. He also said he has about $0.50 per gallon in the fuel. He's been running it about 6 mts now and have had no issues other then the initial fuel filter changes.

Latest posts