Used JD or NH Haybine

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I took a look at disc bines but just couldn't justify the cost. Good used disc bines are $8,000 to $11,000 around here. They would be handy for cutting reed canary but I don't grow much of that.

I am currently looking at a couple local used hay bines - - a JD 820 and a NH 1499. Any input on either make before I make an offer?

I bought a new Vermeer discbine last year. Will never go back to a haybine. Try a used discbine.

Around here you can get a good gas powered self propelled haybine with cab and air and a 12-14' head for $3-6 grand. The only problem like the rest of those around us is that you can't get down the roads anymore too safely anyway because of all of the traffic.

regenwether":2vdse2t6 said:
I bought a new Vermeer discbine last year. Will never go back to a haybine. Try a used discbine.

Which one did you get?

cfpinz

Stocker Steve":1krvhtdf said:
I took a look at disc bines but just couldn't justify the cost. Good used disc bines are $8,000 to $11,000 around here. They would be handy for cutting reed canary but I don't grow much of that.

I am currently looking at a couple local used hay bines - - a JD 820 and a NH 1499. Any input on either make before I make an offer?

I have an 820. Bought it new the year after JD stopped making them.

I'm well pleased with it. I like the flap in the rear for spreading hay out as wide as the machine. Only part I've replaced was the reel belt. Ran a fawn through it and the belt broke.

Three reasons I bought the 820. I didn't want to buy a larger tractor to pull a disc bine, my old 1217 was 16 years old and needed some rebuilding and I got a price I couldn't walk away from. Glad I got it too with todays fuel prices.

The reel on the 820 also has 5 rows of teeth. One set is made so it can be flipped back to make it easy to get to the cutter bar. I have non clog guards that have to be gapped and getting those spring teeth out of the way is nice.

I'm sure all the NH cutters are good machines. Lots of them in my area. I was looking at a NH when I bought the JD. Just got a lot better price on the 820 at the time.

well a brand new NH haybine cost 80 grand with a 16foot head. we demoed a new deere diskbine and it was 95 grand. only used used haybines that ar earound here are 2001 with 3000 hrs and they still want 50 grand for those. so i dont know

No one that I know of has had that much luck with John Deere hay equipment. SO personally I would go with the New Holland, we've never had problems with ours and we've had it for 4 years. But if you have the money get a disc bine, they are worth the extra money.

I went and looked at a lot of used NH hay bines. Most of them had metal showing on the conditioning rollers. How much life can you expect after that happens?

Also, I have a neighbor who is a big fan of the old Heston hay bines with one rubber and one metal conditioning roll. Any recommendations Heston models?

Stocker Steve":13i3vikt said:
I went and looked at a lot of used NH hay bines. Most of them had metal showing on the conditioning rollers. How much life can you expect after that happens?

I had a chunk of rubber about the size of a skillet ripped off my Vermeer a few years ago. Didn't give me any trouble until I got in some thick wet hay that had laid down, then it started wrapping the roller. Couldn't get the rubbers anymore so Vermeer split the cost of a set of new steel ones.

To answer your question: It depends. And sometimes the rollers cost more than the haybine's worth.

cfpinz

I just updated from a 1071 hesston to a 1110 hesston and I couldn't be more satisfied! Hesston redesigned this machine and did a wonderful job on it. One thing they did was to speed the knife and the reel up to a much faster speed, you can cut faster with it. I paid $4800 for it which wasn't a steal but was in very good shape, I sold mine for $2800.

Latest posts