US cattle herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Cows and heifers that have calved, 38 million, down 1%
Beef replacement heifers, 5.5 million, up 2%
Cattle on small grains pasture in KS, OK and TX, 1.61 million, up 20%

While the beef replacement heifer number, up 2% at 5.5 million, shows a robust desire by cattlemen to begin restocking pastures, last year's report showed a similar figure. Much of that desire to restock withered along with pastures, and many of those heifers wound up in a feedyard as drought conditions prevailed throughout much of cattle country. Drought conditions heading into 2014 are better than a year ago, but Mother Nature still is the deciding factor, as dry conditions are prevalent in parts of the High Plains and throughout the West and Southwest.

I agree that I like $1.40 fats, but I am more than a little concerned that we are going to kill demand. I'm sorry but with this economy people are going to trade down to chicken or pork before paying up for beef. We've been losing market share since the 70's and this isn't going to help. The cure for high prices is high prices.

toughntender":3mu7ycyl said:
I agree that I like $1.40 fats, but I am more than a little concerned that we are going to kill demand. I'm sorry but with this economy people are going to trade down to chicken or pork before paying up for beef. We've been losing market share since the 70's and this isn't going to help. The cure for high prices is high prices.
When prices began to rapidly increase I read where it was the food stamp group that was keeping beef moving off the retail shelf. The article said the people getting free food has tripled since '08.
It is obvious the supply end has decreased. The demand side is not a guarantee. This is going to be an interesting ride.

Ground beef had been bouncing up and down from about $2.50 -$3.00 here. My wife came in last night and said that it had jumped to $5.00. Ribeye was $9.00/lb. She said she watched one man pick up a pack of steaks look at the price and put it back. He told her he could not pay that for meat. She also said that the bins were full and some looked like it had been there for awhile.

Deepsouth":23k2gnsc said:
Ground beef had been bouncing up and down from about $2.50 -$3.00 here. My wife came in last night and said that it had jumped to $5.00. Ribeye was $9.00/lb. She said she watched one man pick up a pack of steaks look at the price and put it back. He told her he could not pay that for meat. She also said that the bins were full and some looked like it had been there for awhile.

Been paying around $4.50 lb. for 93/7 Ground Beef for quite a while here. Meat counter still looks empty when you shop at the HEB grocery store late in the evening.

George

supply an demand is good.but once the supply drops below demand in comes the imported beef.

In my calling around, it seems that prices can really vary quite a bit from area to area ... and from month to month.

And, I agree ... this will be an interesting ride for both the commercial guy and for the direct-to-consumer operation.

Box beef prices dropped nearly $20 last week. Not a good sign.
Retailers unloaded a lot of meat at a loss to keep it from going bad. Retail beef orders are down this week. Chicken and pork are slightly up.
Stores can not move what the buyer can not afford. Cattle numbers may be at an all time low. If consumption matches the production numbers then there is no shortage.

around here the grocery stores seem to be moving the meat I don't see anything on sale like its close to expiring and I see them restocking in the middle of the day I dunno I would think with herd number down prices up and sure is nice to be making good money compared to all those year when feed was sky high and cattle prices were low with feed, fuel, fertilizer, and grass, oat and hay seeds high we need high cattle prices

U.S. Cattle Herd Is At A 61 Year Low and Organic Food Shortages Reported Across America

February 2, 2014 By Dr. Rich Swier 0 381

Michael Snyder from The Economic Collapse reports, "If the extreme drought in the western half of the country keeps going, the food supply problems that we are experiencing right now are only going to be the tip of the iceberg. As you will see below, the size of the U.S. cattle herd has dropped to a 61 year low, and organic food shortages are being reported all over the nation. Surprisingly cold weather and increasing demand for organic food have both been a factor, but the biggest threat to the U.S. food supply is the extraordinary drought which has had a relentless grip on the western half of the country."

"If you check out the U.S. Drought Monitor, you can see that drought conditions currently stretch from California all the way to the heart of Texas. In fact, the worst drought in the history of the state of California is happening right now. And considering the fact that the rest of the nation is extremely dependent on produce grown in California and cattle raised in the western half of the U.S., this should be of great concern to all of us, "notes Snyder.

A local Fox News report that was featured on the Drudge Report entitled "Organic food shortage hits US" has gotten quite a bit of attention. The following is an excerpt from that article…

Since Christmas, cucumbers supplies from Florida have almost ground to a halt and the Mexican supply is coming but it's just not ready yet.
And as the basic theory of economics goes, less supply drives up prices.
Take organic berries for example:
There was a strawberry shortage a couple weeks back and prices spiked.
Experts say the primary reasons for the shortages are weather and demand.
And without a doubt, demand for organic food has grown sharply in recent years. More Americans than ever have become aware of how the modern American diet is slowly killing all of us, and they are seeking out alternatives.

Due to the tightness in supply and the increasing demand, prices for organic produce just continue to go up. Just consider the following example…
http://drrichswier.com/2014/02/02/u-s-c ... s-america/

wacocowboy":2ydyymw5 said:
around here the grocery stores seem to be moving the meat I don't see anything on sale like its close to expiring and I see them restocking in the middle of the day I dunno I would think with herd number down prices up and sure is nice to be making good money compared to all those year when feed was sky high and cattle prices were low with feed, fuel, fertilizer, and grass, oat and hay seeds high we need high cattle prices
Prices are the best I have ever seen. I added 47 additional bred cows last February and am glad we did.
The meat packers are concerned. They have a work week dictated by labor agreements so they must have numbers to slaughter. Stores are balking at what the packers are asking. That caused boxed prices to spiral downward last week. If the packing companies can not make enough profit they close plants. Retail markets are all reporting reduced beef product purchases. Hopefully sales will pick up when the weather improved.
National Beef Company just announced they will close their processing facility in Brawley, California. 1,300 employees will be out of work. This plant mostly processed holstein steers from the large dairy numbers in California. Closing a plant that has a daily capacity of 1,900 per day will have an effect. Remember that Cargill closed the Plainview, Texas plant last year, with a 4500 per day capacity.
There has to be a demand for the shortage of beef.

Coyote":akkr41lc said:
Isomade,Good!!!
Of that 1.6 million head that you are down, 100,000 head died in the blizzard in South Dakota last fall. Is that still " good" or is it someones pain is someones gain?

I don't think anyone thinks people being wiped out in blizzards is good. I doubt many wished for blizzards or other catastrophes to occur. That said, it's naive to think that misfortune of others doesn't at times create opportunity in the market place. I also think it's silly to be hyper-sensitive and look for offense in off the cuff statements that are obviously absent of any malice.

I agree with BigBull, the potential for imports is looming in the background, once the gates are open to imports it will be a wild ride. South America is poised for that opportunity. As others have said high prices will drive folks to alternative meat choices, which as we have seen in the past, they don't all come back when beef prices drop.

Opening up to imports would be a "game changer" to cattlemen in this country and it would be felt very rapidly. We need prices that will keep us in business for the long haul.

morancher":3pj534du said:
I agree with BigBull, the potential for imports is looming in the background, once the gates are open to imports it will be a wild ride. South America is poised for that opportunity. As others have said high prices will drive folks to alternative meat choices, which as we have seen in the past, they don't all come back when beef prices drop.

Opening up to imports would be a "game changer" to cattlemen in this country and it would be felt very rapidly. We need prices that will keep us in business for the long haul.

The only way to achieve that is Government intervention...........anybody want that? Prices always find their own level. The gov however can tariff the imports to level the playing field and quality will determine who buys what.

yall are talking about 2 packing plants closed that can kill close to 6000hd a day.the reason those plants have closed is because of massive cattle # drop.if the cattle arnt there you cant butcher them.the beef prices float to keep people eating beef.

The power's that be are going to use every thing they can to get our borders open to Brazil and any other cheaper type countries as a great help to the consumer's. Even if the beef is mostly a manufactureing quality product it will be used as a way to lower prices across the board. Our govt. will be one of the biggest buyer as it will fit the insitutional use very well and thet can point out to us what a great savings it is to the taxpayer etc. This movement is just around the corner!

Latest posts