Upcoming semen sale, rare air if you are interested.

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
My friend Lance Cline at Black and Red Angus has put together an online auction for semen of special sires throughout history.

There is a bit of everything for those of you that don't just breed Angus

Here is the link

http://bit.ly/2IseCXG

The bidding starts on April 20th 7:30 CDT

I've bought semen from Lance before and he provides excellent service, the whole experience went very smoothly from the first contact to when the cannister arrived from KABSU.

Let's hear the favorites in the auction?

I can think of some very interesting crosses I could do with some of the bulls available

I'm surprised there's any interest in using old Angus genetics. I was under the impression that every new calf crop in the registered business is supposed to be better than the previous calf crop?

True Grit Farms said:
I'm surprised there's any interest in using old Angus genetics. I was under the impression that every new calf crop in the registered business is supposed to be better than the previous calf crop?

I doubt theres anything there that will compare to America :)
Id be willing to pay shipping for them to get rid of the junk, if I could figure out how to use Amps, It would just be for old time sake.

bse said:
True Grit Farms said:

Id be willing to pay shipping for them to get rid of the junk, if I could figure out how to use Amps, It would just be for old time sake.

Like I said, if anyone is interested.

************* said:
bse said:
True Grit Farms said:

BSE, isn't scared to breed to old genetics, he has a good idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm just a multiplier and not qualified to experiment with older genetics.
I was looking forward to hearing other folk's thoughts on this subject, but I guess their gun shy.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:
bse said:

BSE, isn't scared to breed to old genetics, he has a good idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm just a multiplier and not qualified to experiment with older genetics.
I was looking forward to hearing other folk's thoughts on this subject, but I guess their gun shy.

If I was more proficient at using the ampules, and thought that they were still good, assuming the packaging and storage of the semen was top notch, then I would like to try certain combinations just to see what happens.

For example, I would like to take a daughter from a VERY NEW, unproven bull and breed her back to a bull from the 60's. I cannot say for sure, but I think that there may be some presence of hybrid vigor even though you are breeding within the same breed.

Who knows?

I see it like putting a new crate motor from 2019 into a car from the 50's. If nothing else it would be a lot of fun doing this.

************* said:
True Grit Farms said:
************* said:

If I was more proficient at using the ampules, and thought that they were still good, assuming the packaging and storage of the semen was top notch, then I would like to try certain combinations just to see what happens.

For example, I would like to take a daughter from a VERY NEW, unproven bull and breed her back to a bull from the 60's. I cannot say for sure, but I think that there may be some presence of hybrid vigor even though you are breeding within the same breed.

Who knows?

I see it like putting a new crate motor from 2019 into a car from the 50's. If nothing else it would be a lot of fun doing this.

We see things vastly different. I can know the results in a few hours and fine tune - program an engine to fit my needs. Where as you won't know anything for at least 3 years on how your breeding decisions worked out short term.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:
True Grit Farms said:

Who knows?

We see things vastly different. I can know the results in a few hours and fine tune - program an engine to fit my needs. Where as you won't know anything for at least 3 years on how your breeding decisions worked out short term.

How so? When I send in a DNA sample within days of the calf being born?

Angus GS can predict with a surprising degree of accuracy what you have in front of you.

I'm not guessing at as much as you may think.

The reason I said who knows, it that I doubt on some of those bulls that are offered, that there is a DNA test. When the dam and the sire are both tested, and even further back from what I've been told, and the actual progeny is tested, then you have a pretty accurate picture of the traits that calf will be bringing to the table.

Ebenezer said:
Do the sellers make any mention of the viability of the semen or is it "as is"?

That was big question I had as well.

I bought Net Worth semen from Lance, who is setting up the sale, and it was handled and shipped from KABSU which gave me a lot of confidence. I would be more concerned if it had come out of someone's tank that had not been maintained properly.

If you notice quite a few of the straws are being held at reputable places.

You obviously weren't around during the belt buckle to mammoth era nor a Harlan Ritchie fan. ;-)
1964: https://msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/ankonian_president.jpg

76 Bar said:
You obviously weren't around during the belt buckle to mammoth era nor a Harlan Ritchie fan. ;-)
That goes back!!
A few years ago I was fortunate enough to look over Al Gore Sr's sale facilitys I was amazed how small the ally ways were, small scales and the doors couldn't have been more then 4ft tall coming into the ring. Nothing fancy just liked looking at it for the history of it all.

If the S A V Density semen was sexed female, I would definitely be submitting some bids. Always got very nice females out of Density. Problem was I never kept any. I always sold them as weanlings or yearlings. One of my bigger mistakes in terms of owning cattle. Any of the calves that I later saw as adults were great looking cows and appeared to raise great calves.

76 Bar said:

Back in the 60's Angus were not well favored precisely for the reasons that the picture demonstrates!

************* said:
True Grit Farms said:
************* said:

Who knows?

How so? When I send in a DNA sample within days of the calf being born?

Angus GS can predict with a surprising degree of accuracy what you have in front of you.

I'm not guessing at as much as you may think.

The reason I said who knows, it that I doubt on some of those bulls that are offered, that there is a DNA test. When the dam and the sire are both tested, and even further back from what I've been told, and the actual progeny is tested, then you have a pretty accurate picture of the traits that calf will be bringing to the table.

So the dna test would tell you if your breeding decision was good or not even tho the calf is just days old?? I have to missing something.

Latest posts