Unwanted Critters etc

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman":489azc1l said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":489azc1l said:
I keep my feed in those cheap plastic garbage cans with the lid that snaps on tight. As far as critters go if they need shot they get shot. End of story. Just keep whatever you shoot to yourself. ;-)

I have had coon"s to actually pull the lids off trash cans and get to the feed. :mad:

I've had "something" chew holes along the bottom edge. Now I have self-draining garbage cans (they look like crap though).

Also on this subject... not just with feed, I've had hay ruined when the little b...s...rds crap all over bales they've nested in. They eat a lot of blackberries is all I can say.

backhoeboogie":1y12ucfg said:
There may be mice trapping seasons too. I dunno. Possum in the feed bin is a dead critter right off of the get go in my opinion. Those PETA folks may lock me up some day :)

My dogs wipe them out. We had pups in the barn one summer and the grown dogs killed 8 possums while the pups were there. Guess Peta would have to choose between the dogs and the possums. ;-)

Angus/Brangus":g2yhfsq8 said:
CattleHand":g2yhfsq8 said:
Angus/Brangus":g2yhfsq8 said:
You could elect to obliterate the entire local population of these natures creatures OR just build yourself a box, w/lid, out of scrap lumber.

We had pack rats at my grandparents place but every spring and fall my cousin and I would burn their nests and shoot any that ran out when we weren't busy. We cant enjoy in that past time as no more reside on our land. :lol:

Popping those rats I understand but some of the other varmints can actually help us out if we can figure a way to keep them out of feed. :D

I follow you on that. I never thought it was a good idea killing a rat snake or owls. I figure they do more good than they do bad.

Wisteria Farms":1r56uzh8 said:
Also on this subject... not just with feed, I've had hay ruined when the little b...s...rds crap all over bales they've nested in. They eat a lot of blackberries is all I can say.

hehe.... you think blackberrys are bad, you need a few chinaberry trees around.

danl":1piy8912 said:
Brandonm2":1piy8912 said:
I don't know about other states; but in Alabama you legally have to have a current hunting license too shoot just about anything.

On your own farm?

In Missouri you can hunt on your own farm without a permit for anything but deer and turkey. The state gives free (not so sure about free, just got my property taxes) landowner permits for deer and turkey.

However, I don't consider eradicating possums and coons hunting, just good riddance.

Dan

Legally, (in Alabama at least) you can't shoot a squirrel or a rabbit or a coyote for that matter without having a valid hunting license on your person.........even if you own the land if I am reading my rulebook correctly.

Jogeephus":2d6k7gid said:
Good point. If you leave feed out here, mice will come and with mice you will have cotton mouth water rattlers in your barn and running into one of them will take three years off you life.

I just gotta be askin. I heard of a cotton mouth water moccasin before but what be a cotton mouth water rattler????

Rookie":3c3iv617 said:
Jogeephus":3c3iv617 said:
Good point. If you leave feed out here, mice will come and with mice you will have cotton mouth water rattlers in your barn and running into one of them will take three years off you life.

I just gotta be askin. I heard of a cotton mouth water moccasin before but what be a cotton mouth water rattler????

These are bred when the moon is just right and a cotton mouth breeds with a rattle snake. The hestoresis between the two breeds produces a very large and aggressive snake. We have a three way cross variety that has a copperhead mixed in. These grow up to 15 feet long and have been known to eat city folk who leave gates open. 8) ;-)

hillbilly beef man":qbulwu6n said:
Rookie":qbulwu6n said:
Jogeephus":qbulwu6n said:

These are bred when the moon is just right and a cotton mouth breeds with a rattle snake. The hestoresis between the two breeds produces a very large and aggressive snake. We have a three way cross variety that has a copperhead mixed in. These grow up to 15 feet long and have been known to eat city folk who leave gates open. 8) ;-)

So then would that be tha Coppermouth cottonhead diamondbelly water snake I heard tell about???????

Angus/Brangus":237x3gp0 said:
MissouriExile":237x3gp0 said:
Ignorant of many things but this one for sure.

I had a possum take up residence in my barn recently. It was getting into the feed bags. I used welders gloves and picked it up by its tail, put it in a pet carrier and drove it 3 miles or so and released it in some woods.
A few days passed and I went out to see what the dog was barking at only to find the possum (or its twin) behind the barn.

I dispatched it with a shot gun. Did I break the law? (Missouri). Are possums a pest that needs to be dealt with severely? Other ideas on how I should have taken care of the problem?

Jon

In my opinion, as long as you have bags of feed out in the open then, you're going to get critters - rats, Oppossums, Raccoons, Squirrels etc. You could elect to obliterate the entire local population of these natures creatures OR just build yourself a box, w/lid, out of scrap lumber. I screwed a clasp on mine and it has worked out great. I'd buy 10 bags of Accuration at a time (got a discount) and Coons would open every one of them (they like the fish oil based product). Well, I like the Coons too so I built the box and all is well.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

msscamp":1xwzbpqy said:
Angus/Brangus":1xwzbpqy said:
MissouriExile":1xwzbpqy said:
Ignorant of many things but this one for sure.

I had a possum take up residence in my barn recently. It was getting into the feed bags. I used welders gloves and picked it up by its tail, put it in a pet carrier and drove it 3 miles or so and released it in some woods.
A few days passed and I went out to see what the dog was barking at only to find the possum (or its twin) behind the barn.

I dispatched it with a shot gun. Did I break the law? (Missouri). Are possums a pest that needs to be dealt with severely? Other ideas on how I should have taken care of the problem?

Jon

In my opinion, as long as you have bags of feed out in the open then, you're going to get critters - rats, Oppossums, Raccoons, Squirrels etc. You could elect to obliterate the entire local population of these natures creatures OR just build yourself a box, w/lid, out of scrap lumber. I screwed a clasp on mine and it has worked out great. I'd buy 10 bags of Accuration at a time (got a discount) and Coons would open every one of them (they like the fish oil based product). Well, I like the Coons too so I built the box and all is well.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldn't agree more. I happened to have an old chest freezer go kaput a couple of months ago. After this incident I cut off the power cord, drilled some holes in the side and covered them with a fine screen and frame. All feed now stored inside now.

I had no trouble putting the possum down but didn't enjoy it. Rather not have to do it again.

Thanks to all for thoughts and advice.

Jon Davis

BertS":3mkme5ri said:
Rookie":3mkme5ri said:
So then would that be tha Coppermouth cottonhead diamondbelly water snake I heard tell about???????

Copperrattlemoscin, at least that is what we call them down Texas way.....lol....

Is that what this is?

snake.jpg

dun":g8ekp253 said:
BertS":g8ekp253 said:
Rookie":g8ekp253 said:

Copperrattlemoscin, at least that is what we call them down Texas way.....lol....

Is that what this is?

snake.jpg

That looks like a Copperrattlemoscingater.

KenB":1jv9n11g said:
dun":1jv9n11g said:
BertS":1jv9n11g said:
Rookie":1jv9n11g said:

Is that what this is?

snake.jpg

That looks like a Copperrattlemoscingater.
Holey Jumping Jeriboas!!!! It isn't poison,by the teeth,but would sure make me hurt myself getting away from it!!!

(Edit--looked at teeth better--gotta be photoshop)

Latest posts