New calf pics, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim, you handled that beautifully!!! :clap: :clap:
You're definition is perfect.
I did not even come close to thinking/insinuating your good new heifer was butcher bound. She's real nice! Just pointing out she's in much better BCS than the steers - but we all know pictures are deceiving.

I understand Jim everyone has their own opinion of the word Natural on the beef product label. The problem arises from the fact there is only 1 legal definition of the word. Everytime someone claims all natural means no antibiotics and no hormones. They have in reality misrepresented a product for the benefit of the packing industry.

longtimelurker":k0h5td8m said:
I understand Jim everyone has their own opinion of the word Natural on the beef product label. The problem arises from the fact there is only 1 legal definition of the word. Everytime someone claims all natural means no antibiotics and no hormones. They have in reality misrepresented a product for the benefit of the packing industry.

I see what you mean. However that is not something I can change nor am I going to worry about. By the "legal" definition it seems like all beef could be called "natural".

The websites I list above and my own sell sheets go beyond using the word "natural" and detail how my beef is raised. In the end my product speaks for itself. My customers are smart enought to look for more than just the word "natural" - they want details and I give it to them.

I do see your point though. I don't think the USDA definition of "natural" was really intended to apply to meats.

Jim

The USDA definition is a crock anyway. You can pick up a package of meat in the grocery store that proclaims ALL NATURAL in large print on the front, but on the back in the fine print are "ingredients". Excuse me, but the meat case shouldn't have any ingredients besides meat! If something has been added to it, it is no longer in it's natural state, is it? No wonder consumers are so ready to believe the worst when the activists and attention-hungry reporters trot out the next horrifying expose' about meat production. I think if you polled 100 average grocery shoppers as to whether meat that is labeled "natural" was produced using growth implants or constant antibiotics fed to the animals, the overwhelming majority would say NO.

longtimelurker":1rn1xlh0 said:
Colorado's Best Beef actually defines the term Natural on their label it appears.

I think that is what we all need to do - define what WE mean by natural beef and what is in or not in our beef. My label also defines what I claim as natural beef.

Jim

MO_cows":1m60h0s5 said:
The USDA definition is a crock anyway. You can pick up a package of meat in the grocery store that proclaims ALL NATURAL in large print on the front, but on the back in the fine print are "ingredients". Excuse me, but the meat case shouldn't have any ingredients besides meat! If something has been added to it, it is no longer in it's natural state, is it? No wonder consumers are so ready to believe the worst when the activists and attention-hungry reporters trot out the next horrifying expose' about meat production. I think if you polled 100 average grocery shoppers as to whether meat that is labeled "natural" was produced using growth implants or constant antibiotics fed to the animals, the overwhelming majority would say NO.
I would like to see that package of meat.

longtimelurker":mp9ccer0 said:
MO_cows":mp9ccer0 said:
I would like to see that package of meat.

Go to your local grocery store and look around. One that I saw like this was ground turkey, I think the brand was Honeysuckle. Another was boneless, skinless chicken breast, either Tyson or Pilgrim's Pride brand.

Lovely heifer, but really lovely cow with the new calf as well :)

I had some bale feeders like that, used them for my goats, then promptly put them away. I had several killed when the top part of the hay bale fell down and suffocated them. I guess cows would be stronger to pull their heads out from under the hay.

Funny, about 'natural' farm products. I dont know what the legal Australian definition is, but I market my mohair, meat and milk as 'naturally' produced - its not labelled as such but just marketed as such. But I include my definition of natural so that my consumers are well aware of what it means - my animal products are produced with a minimum of chemicals, no hormones. No regular antibiotics, they only get antibiotics when they are sick. No hormones.

I have had really good feedback from customers because of this.

A reply from Laura's

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 9:14 AM
Subject: re: label

Dear XXX,

Thank you for visiting our website. We appreciate your interest in our
lean, all-natural beef where the cattle are raised without antibiotics or
growth hormones, and are fed an all-vegetarian diet.

The word natural on our label means - contains no artificial ingredients;
minimally processed.

Laura's Lean Beef is all-natural, with nothing being added to it: no water,
no fillers, no additives, no preservatives, no coloring or dye. It is just
pure and simple beef.

Thank you again for your interest in Laura's Lean Beef!

Kindest regards,
Janet Blakeman
Laura's Lean Beef
Customer Service
http://www.laurasleanbeef.com

To learn more about what makes Laura's Lean Beef different, click on
http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/aboutOurBeef/products.php

And for the latest recipes and cooking tips, go to
http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/inTheKitchen/