Unwanted Critters etc

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
Ignorant of many things but this one for sure.

I had a possum take up residence in my barn recently. It was getting into the feed bags. I used welders gloves and picked it up by its tail, put it in a pet carrier and drove it 3 miles or so and released it in some woods.
A few days passed and I went out to see what the dog was barking at only to find the possum (or its twin) behind the barn.

I dispatched it with a shot gun. Did I break the law? (Missouri). Are possums a pest that needs to be dealt with severely? Other ideas on how I should have taken care of the problem?

Jon

The only thing you did wrong was waiting till the second time. There are seasons on some animals but I'm not sure about possums. As long as it's a pest and doing damage or eating feed I think it's perfectly legal to shoot them. At least that's the premis I've always worked under. If in doubt, adhere to the 3 Ss, Shoot Shovel Shutup

There may be mice trapping seasons too. I dunno. Possum in the feed bin is a dead critter right off of the get go in my opinion. Those PETA folks may lock me up some day :)

Dun, does that apply to unwanted Brother-In-Laws in the fridge too? :D

Never ceases to amaze me when someone questions their right to terminate a pest or predator that is damaging or threatening one's feedstuffs, livestock, property, or humans. Of course, if one is living in the "city limits" or in one of those "small acreages" where many neighbors, businesses nearby, then there might be an issue of "discharging a firearm within the city limits"...

BTW, Opossums carry a disease that can harm horses and/or other livestock.

Recalling my experiences decades ago in Army Basic Training: If you asked "can I" the answer was always "NO". If you volunteered for something, it was usually KP or PLO duty, or some other nasty detail.

Yes, there is always a food chain. Some "bad" animals always kill "badder animals" (and vice versa). Skunks, Opossums, Armadillos, Badgers, Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Dog Packs, Poisonous Snakes, and the list goes on. It all depends on what one is willing to tolerate and pick up the damage afterwards.

;-)

Angus/Brangus":1mlpueiz said:
MissouriExile":1mlpueiz said:
Ignorant of many things but this one for sure.

I had a possum take up residence in my barn recently. It was getting into the feed bags. I used welders gloves and picked it up by its tail, put it in a pet carrier and drove it 3 miles or so and released it in some woods.
A few days passed and I went out to see what the dog was barking at only to find the possum (or its twin) behind the barn.

I dispatched it with a shot gun. Did I break the law? (Missouri). Are possums a pest that needs to be dealt with severely? Other ideas on how I should have taken care of the problem?

Jon

In my opinion, as long as you have bags of feed out in the open then, you're going to get critters - rats, Oppossums, Raccoons, Squirrels etc. You could elect to obliterate the entire local population of these natures creatures OR just build yourself a box, w/lid, out of scrap lumber. I screwed a clasp on mine and it has worked out great. I'd buy 10 bags of Accuration at a time (got a discount) and Coons would open every one of them (they like the fish oil based product). Well, I like the Coons too so I built the box and all is well.

Good point. If you leave feed out here, mice will come and with mice you will have cotton mouth water rattlers in your barn and running into one of them will take three years off you life.

I keep my feed in those cheap plastic garbage cans with the lid that snaps on tight. As far as critters go if they need shot they get shot. End of story. Just keep whatever you shoot to yourself. ;-)

Angus/Brangus":1r1qltvc said:
You could elect to obliterate the entire local population of these natures creatures OR just build yourself a box, w/lid, out of scrap lumber.

We had pack rats at my grandparents place but every spring and fall my cousin and I would burn their nests and shoot any that ran out when we weren't busy. We cant enjoy in that past time as no more reside on our land. :lol:

We've always kept the horse feed in an old unusable freezer (take the lock off if you have kids around). The cow feed we keep in an oval metal water trough with a hinged wood lid on top... works great. We don't think twice about eliminating coons/possums... if you don't they'll come back and bring their cousins.

I don't know about other states; but in Alabama you legally have to have a current hunting license too shoot just about anything.

Brandonm2":193w5rvp said:
I don't know about other states; but in Alabama you legally have to have a current hunting license too shoot just about anything.

On your own farm?

In Missouri you can hunt on your own farm without a permit for anything but deer and turkey. The state gives free (not so sure about free, just got my property taxes) landowner permits for deer and turkey.

However, I don't consider eradicating possums and coons hunting, just good riddance.

Dan

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":9gm6733r said:
I keep my feed in those cheap plastic garbage cans with the lid that snaps on tight. As far as critters go if they need shot they get shot. End of story. Just keep whatever you shoot to yourself. ;-)

I have had coon"s to actually pull the lids off trash cans and get to the feed. :mad:

We had a big old coon knocking a piece of sheet metal weighted down with two concrete blocks off a feed bin a few years ago.
Of course the lovely thing about him is he wasn't content to just eat the grain he had to crap all over the place too. Including the feed.

Kept putting out bigger and bigger steel traps till I got him.

Dan

There are no laws here protecting coons/opposums/yotes/skunks causing problems on your property. I will not hesitate to kill a skunk. However ~ I appreciate what A/B is saying. I am of the same mind (sorry A/B ~ I hope that last statement doesn't negatively impact your self image :oops: ).

Latest posts