Fencing full of Brush, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

if its your property. the smartest thing to do is bite the bullet. bulldoze the whole mess out and get it right. never worry about it again with the exception of a little herbicide once a year.

callmefence":2ousi7iy said:
if its your property. the smartest thing to do is bite the bullet. bulldoze the whole mess out and get it right. never worry about it again with the exception of a little herbicide once a year.

Yep.

Get a skid steer with a grapple attachment and use it to pull trees, bushes, fence, posts, everything out and pile up, then burn it. After it cools down get the wire out of the ashes. Then put up a fence.

I'm thinking about tearing down all my fences, my cows ain't leaving. If they do, I don't need em. :lol: :lol:

jehosofat":37hjni9m said:
I'm thinking about tearing down all my fences, my cows ain't leaving. If they do, I don't need em. :lol: :lol:

Shoot, after my cows are done rolling up the hay they didn't eat they go and fix fence themselves.

I would clean out the corners enough to anchor a high tensile fence just inside the old one. A couple hot wires inside on t-post. Starting spraying the old fence and decide later which fence to use long term. Later you can move the hot wires to the old fence once it is ready to go. Then use the T-post to cross fence, or keep the new fence and add wood post.

after 33 years of being in insurance in a rural community, the only sound advice is going to deal with replacing a beat up, rusted, overgrown fence with a good 5 strand fence. In Florida, there are some statutory protections for a rancher (6 acres and/or 6000 acres)....IF a cow gets out on a roadway and someone is killed (or worse...badly injured) and the fence is a minimum of 5 well maintained strands, and the fence posts are in good workable condition. I think C.B. used the word "knowingly" and that word is a mouthful in a court room, but even if the rancher unknowingly had a bad fence, that won't remove an even bigger word...as he is still "negligible" and responsible for his or her fences being in good condition. If the fence is in good repair, it's hard to get sued. Not impossible, but not easy either.

To the OP, for the life of me, I cannot think of one solitary reason why you or anyone else would want to risk putting cows in a 6 acre pasture without aligning your priorities correctly. First, you're not going to make an appreciable amount of money with 6 acres regardless, so this venture is mostly hobby related. Secondly, and especially as a hobby, I would sure hate to lose my home, life savings, and even more importantly cause a kid to grow up without a father because he was killed when his semi tractor/trailer hit a cow on the road...and then ran off the road and had an oak limb come through his front windshield killing him instantly (true story, he was my best friend). All could be prevented by making sure you had a good fence before unloading those two cows. Just some thoughts from a little different angle.

callmefence":2klpbdhm said:
ga.prime":2klpbdhm said:
Get a skid steer with a grapple attachment and use it to pull trees, bushes, fence, posts, everything out and pile up, then burn it. After it cools down get the wire out of the ashes. Then put up a fence.

A tractor will work too, but a skid steer will run rings around a tractor.

ga.prime":2d4yxt1y said:
callmefence":2d4yxt1y said:
ga.prime":2d4yxt1y said:

A tractor will work too, but a skid steer will run rings around a tractor.

:pop: LOL

but even if the rancher unknowingly had a bad fence, that won't remove an even bigger word...

In the Texas statute that CB was subtly referring to, the word 'knowingly' only pertains to knowingly allow stock to roam free. The state sees no difference in whether the fence is a 10' tall HT net fence or 3 strand elec fence...they are only concerned with whether the stock owner knew he had stock that could get out.

For the majority of Texas farmers/ranchers, there is no 'minimum fence' stipulated when it comes to keeping livestock in.
It's only along a State or Federal highway that specifics get involved, and the farm to market roads (all 3000 of them stretching 41,000 miles) are not included as state roads when it comes to fences..........except the State does tell you what kind of fence you have to have to keep other peoples stock OUT of your property.

greybeard":3fa7od6q said:
but even if the rancher unknowingly had a bad fence, that won't remove an even bigger word...

In the Texas statute that CB was subtly referring to, the word 'knowingly' only pertains to knowingly allow stock to roam free. The state sees no difference in whether the fence is a 10' tall HT net fence or 3 strand elec fence...they are only concerned with whether the stock owner knew he had stock that could get out.

For the majority of Texas farmers/ranchers, there is no 'minimum fence' stipulated when it comes to keeping livestock in.
It's only along a State or Federal highway that specifics get involved, and the farm to market roads (all 3000 of them stretching 41,000 miles) are not included as state roads when it comes to fences..........except the State does tell you what kind of fence you have to have to keep other peoples stock OUT of your property.

Lets not confuse facts with opinion . we all know where the sun rises and sets

M-5":2k4tnf18 said:
There is not a person on this board that has not brought an old fence up to snuff with cutting away growth and putting in patches. everybody talks a big game but reality is what it is.

Just cause your a half azz don't make it right. But you have a point. Look at all the dumbazzs pouring out expensive minerals just because they read it here.

callmefence":2cb9u9gx said:
M-5":2cb9u9gx said:
There is not a person on this board that has not brought an old fence up to snuff with cutting away growth and putting in patches. everybody talks a big game but reality is what it is.

Just cause your a half azz don't make it right. But you have a point. Look at all the dumbazzs pouring out expensive minerals just because they read it here.

Have you forgotten you have posted pics of your fences before.

M-5":185jj080 said:
callmefence":185jj080 said:
M-5":185jj080 said:

No I show my work all the time....you care to show me the half azz stuff.
Or you just gonna blowhard.

callmefence":aom3llm9 said:
M-5":aom3llm9 said:
callmefence":aom3llm9 said:

If you need some time until the boss ain't watching I understand.....well really I don't.. :lol2:

callmefence":20pw4rx2 said:
M-5":20pw4rx2 said:
callmefence":20pw4rx2 said:

What about the fences on your place ?? They are all brand new and nothing is patched??

I know I got half azz fences in some places just like everyone else does.

M-5":kp22eua9 said:
callmefence":kp22eua9 said:
M-5":kp22eua9 said:

What about the fences on your place ?? They are all brand new and nothing is patched??

I know I got half azz fences in some places just like everyone else does.

All of my perimeter on my home place is 10-11 strand barbwire. Tight and right.

All of the perimeter fence on my lometa property is net with Barb.

Lease places are patched....
You gonna post those pics are not??

Latest posts