Fencing full of Brush, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I am fortunate to live in a "free range" area. If my cow gets on the road and somebody runs into it they gotta dig out their check book.

i have 3 strands.. mostly loose HT.. 40-60' post spacing .. for perimeter I use a single polywire for gates..

usually have some cows wondering around wherever.. most of the time the others will tell on them though.

i think i win this contest.

ddd75":1ihom2li said:
i have 3 strands.. mostly loose HT.. 40-60' post spacing .. for perimeter I use a single polywire for gates..

usually have some cows wondering around wherever.. most of the time the others will tell on them though.

i think i win this contest.

You just might be right!

I am not allowed to fence the back of my place. Read that again Not Allowed To Build Fence. It is a shared allotment with BLM. If I were to fence it I would lose my right to run the cows on about 10,000 acres of BLM. So I can go to the expense, time, and effort to build fence on 1,200 acres of steep rocky ground. Or do nothing and run cows on 10,000+ acres. It is a tough decision. It is a shared allotment so the neighbors cows are on the back of my place at times but when he gathers in the fall he will bring my cows out too.

I think I might win.

M-5":1sc3t7af said:
There is not a person on this board that has not brought an old fence up to snuff with cutting away growth and putting in patches. everybody talks a big game but reality is what it is.

I don't think I saw where anyone said the OP couldn't cut away growth and patch his fence. Heck, IMO if done correctly, a patch is probably as strong as the original unpatched strand.......but that isn't the point, nor the question. Not too sure where you ran off the road.

The OP stated that he didn't have the funds to hire someone, nor the time to cut away the growth and patch the fence himself. He then asked, "Is the "pretty-good" fence that's already there, PLUS the brush that's grown up in it....enough to keep the cows contained? It's grown up really bad. A cow would have to run with all it's might to get past all of the brush. haha. I'm just new to this and didn't know if I still needed to redo the fence, or what. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you." I have no idea what you were referring to regarding everyone talking a big game. Incidentally, sun rises in the east, sets in the west. :mrgreen:

Dave":3njoa5de said:
I am not allowed to fence the back of my place. Read that again Not Allowed To Build Fence. It is a shared allotment with BLM. If I were to fence it I would lose my right to run the cows on about 10,000 acres of BLM. So I can go to the expense, time, and effort to build fence on 1,200 acres of steep rocky ground. Or do nothing and run cows on 10,000+ acres. It is a tough decision. It is a shared allotment so the neighbors cows are on the back of my place at times but when he gathers in the fall he will bring my cows out too.

I think I might win.

very interesting to hear about those in free range territories! I guess it's also important to keep a decent relationship with the neighbors, and be willing to work together.

It isn't totally free range. There are fences around the BLM. But they are more of a suggestion than a fence. However, on the road there are cows or horse on the road about every other day. Go down the road a couple of miles to where a road turns up into the wood gulch allotment there is no fence at the road. It is 5 or 6 miles back up there until you run into a fence. Cows show up there once or twice a week. They come down there to get water from the irrigation canal. They hang around for a couple days until someone runs them back up into the hills.

south0085":12wwjgw7 said:
I have about 6 acres that I need to put some cows on. I just have a small hobby farm in Kentucky. Most of the lot has barb wire. Not the best in some places. But it other places, pretty good. No hot wires anywhere on it. I plan to fix the bad spots and leave the rest. In a perfect world, I would add one or two electric wires.

The problem is: it's ALL grown up with weeds, briars, trees, etc. Really badly.

I don't have the money to hire someone to come and clean it out for me. I don't really have the time to do it myself. I work another job full-time. What are my options?

Is the "pretty-good" fence that's already there, PLUS the brush that's grown up in it....enough to keep the cows contained? It's grown up really bad. A cow would have to run with all it's might to get past all of the brush. haha. I'm just new to this and didn't know if I still needed to redo the fence, or what. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

You've gotten a lot of advice here, but my negativity just kicks in. 6 acres ? 6 acres? I have had a full time job my entire adult life. Take care of 100 plus acres plus go help the in-laws and go help dad back when they were living.

A "full time job" is no excuse in my opinion. 40 to 50 hours a week on your day job and 60 hours a week (some weeks) with cattle was my norm. For decades.

Get out there and get it done. This is less than a weekend project.

Dave":fhv38smv said:

I think I might win.
Are you saying that 'your' place (or part of it) is shared?
Admittedly, I have no idea how BLM property allotments are set up, but I do remember this county when it was still open range. You could fence your property off from the govt land but still run cattle and hogs on that govt land (along with everyone else's). I don't remember what the annual fee for running stock on the govt land (Nat Forest) was but it was almost nothing, as that's also what the quantity and quality forage in there was....almost nothing.

greybeard":3g9ahra6 said:
Dave":3g9ahra6 said:

I think I might win.
Are you saying that 'your' place (or part of it) is shared?
Admittedly, I have no idea how BLM property allotments are set up, but I do remember this county when it was still open range. You could fence your property off from the govt land but still run cattle and hogs on that govt land (along with everyone else's). I don't remember what the annual fee for running stock on the govt land (Nat Forest) was but it was almost nothing, as that's also what the quantity and quality forage in there was....almost nothing.

Yes a portion of my place is in a shared allotment with BLM land. I could fence it if I wanted. But doing that would exclude me from that BLM allotment. I can run a lot more cows by being in that allotment than I could if I ran them exclusively on my property. And that very difficult and expensive fence would be installed at my expense. I knew this before I purchased the place. I am also in another BLM allotment on the other side of the valley that I have no property in. Both allotments are shared in that several ranches run cattle in common on the allotments (3 ranches in both cases, but not the same ranches). My shared property is very steep and has no water. It doesn't get used a lot by the cattle. I am much better off with cows being able to go the BLM ground. The flatter, better watered range land is not in the shared allotment. All of the irrigated fields are definitely not shared.

callmefence":28pnwudy said:
M-5":28pnwudy said:
There is not a person on this board that has not brought an old fence up to snuff with cutting away growth and putting in patches. everybody talks a big game but reality is what it is.

Just cause your a half azz don't make it right. But you have a point. Look at all the dumbazzs pouring out expensive minerals just because they read it here.

I ain't in the fence bidness (even though I build a pretty good fence), I'm in the boat business. I own and drive a boat that is in the top 1% of fastest boats on the planet, but when a man walks in my shop with a 35 horse ol' Mercury, on a 16 foot jon boat, that he loves . . . . . . .I don't tell him what a piece of sheit he is.

jehosofat":25yzadd3 said:
callmefence":25yzadd3 said:
M-5":25yzadd3 said:

Just cause your a half azz don't make it right. But you have a point. Look at all the dumbazzs pouring out expensive minerals just because they read it here.

I ain't in the fence bidness (even though I build a pretty good fence), I'm in the boat business. I own and drive a boat that is in the top 1% of fastest boats on the planet, but when a man walks in my shop with a 35 horse ol' Mercury, on a 16 foot jon boat, that he loves . . . . . . .I don't tell him what a piece of sheit he is.
I don't worry too much about it. Seems there is alot of "special needs" in tx .

i thought with BLM land you got exclusive access if you had the rights. from what i read, most hold rights forever until they give them up. when the ranch is sold, the BLM lease land is included in the sale, with value.

jehosofat":11qvivug said:
callmefence":11qvivug said:
M-5":11qvivug said:

I appreciate what you're saying although it's not exactly apples to apples. And I don't reckon that 1percenter is held together with halfazz either. The op was asking a question and i stick by my answer. As far as fives option.... let's just be glad he didn't recommend some roofing product he liberated from work...
He's insulted my work and my intelligence , just fine I'm all grown up and I'll just let it go before someone gets their feelings hurt and leaves.....rengr... ;-) :lol2:

ddd75":u1tcs1gh said:
i thought with BLM land you got exclusive access if you had the rights. from what i read, most hold rights forever until they give them up. when the ranch is sold, the BLM lease land is included in the sale, with value.

With a BLM allotment get you the rights to X number of cows grazing from a certain date until another certain date. They are not necessarily exclusive to one ranch. It is not unusual for several ranches to run in common on an allotment. But the rights are held by the owner. They can be bought, sold, or leased out just like deeded property. They also often have a rotation plan which is prescribed by the BLM. We are lucky here as our BLM range manager is a ranch raised young man who is easy to work with. Not all BLM districts are so lucky.

callmefence":2nxj7wx3 said:
jehosofat":2nxj7wx3 said:
callmefence":2nxj7wx3 said:

I appreciate what you're saying although it's not exactly apples to apples. And I don't reckon that 1percenter is held together with halfazz either. The op was asking a question and i stick by my answer. As far as fives option.... let's just be glad he didn't recommend some roofing product he liberated from work...
He's insulted my work and my intelligence , just fine I'm all grown up and I'll just let it go before someone gets their feelings hurt and leaves.....rengr... ;-) :lol2:

the jury is still out on intelligence.

Caustic Burno":2q6nfnpv said:
M-5":2q6nfnpv said:
Get in the real world, everybody don't have a mountain of cash buried in back yard to fix or buy new every time something needs doin. You will Loose the dam farm trying to impress the neighbors too.

You lose it quicker with pee poor fences. Has nothing to do with impression till your in front of a jury.
One word will get you every time in Texas is knowingly. If you know the Fence is substandard or should have known open up the liability checkbook.
1981 your county was designated a free range county. Is that still in effect??

TexasBred":37crv5ik said:
Caustic Burno":37crv5ik said:
M-5":37crv5ik said:
Get in the real world, everybody don't have a mountain of cash buried in back yard to fix or buy new every time something needs doin. You will Loose the dam farm trying to impress the neighbors too.

You lose it quicker with pee poor fences. Has nothing to do with impression till your in front of a jury.
One word will get you every time in Texas is knowingly. If you know the Fence is substandard or should have known open up the liability checkbook.

No TB last I looked it up there was only 20 or so free range counties left in the state. TSCRA had a list in an issue.

TB I have talked with our State Representative several times as Texas fence laws are as screwed up as a football bat. Just finding out if your county is open or closed is a pain in the a$$.
https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2014/05 ... ot-part-1/

Caustic Burno":3ibfg1jc said:
TexasBred":3ibfg1jc said:
Caustic Burno":3ibfg1jc said:

No TB last I looked it up there was only 20 or so free range counties left in the state. TSCRA had a list in an issue.

TB I have talked with our State Representative several times as Texas fence laws are as screwed up as a football bat. Just finding out if your county is open or closed is a pain in the a$$.
https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2014/05 ... ot-part-1/
I hear you. Gotta hire a Philadelphia lawyer to know if you are required to build a fence or not.

Latest posts