Piccies of round bales, etc

Help Support CattleToday:

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I took some photos this morning.

Our weaners - still 100 round bales to pick up.

DSCF0492small.jpg

We bring up 17 at a time. 15 on the trailer and Goldie brings 2 up.

DSCF0471small.jpg

DSCF0485small.jpg

We have started filling our little storage area where we keep our round bales. Yes we would rather keep them under cover.

DSCF0478small.jpg

and I also took a photo of Harriot with her calf born 3rd of February 2011, so 8 days old here.

DSCF0500small.jpg

and a piccie of Magpie and Mosaic as they were standing together.

DSCF0511small.jpg

nice pics
the only problem I see is the way you stack your bales with the sides close together if you get much rain you are trapping water on the bales and therefore get more loss from moisture
always leave the sides not touching and then the water will drain off and not into the bales

It is on a hill. The water will hit the face of the bale at the top, but the ones in the middle are fairly protected.

The bottom of the bale itself does get very wet, but the rest of the bale seems fine. This happens in time with the bales on the outside and the inside.

Are you saying that putting them further apart would stop the bottom from getting so wet? It is under the bale that gets wet.

But the rain we have been having recently everything is wet. The ground has been so saturated, that we are getting bogged where we normally don't. Sneeze and a tree will fall over.

Suzie Q":2mrk7i6m said:
It is on a hill. The water will hit the face of the bale at the top, but the ones in the middle are fairly protected.

Are you saying that putting them further apart would stop the bottom from getting so wet? It is under the bale that gets wet.

it just seemed we always had less waste if we left a foot or so between the rows of bales
The bottoms still got wet but seemed like they didn't get as wet if the rows were spaced apart maybe the sun and air between them helped with that I don't know
might of been because grass would grow between them also and maybe it soaked up some of the moisture also
How you liking your new tractor
Glad you were able to get it

Goldie isn't the new tractor we are looking at getting. We have had her for a few years now. I have to sell a house on 5 acres before I get my new equipment and that won't be any time soon. The tenant who is looking at buying it just changed jobs and is on probation, so he won't be able to get a loan until after that.

I am guessing we have very different weather to you. I live in the Sunshine State. We get no snow, and sun, sun, sun and more sun. So when that happens everything dries out.

Angus Cowman":gqdghs8m said:
Suzie Q":gqdghs8m said:

it just seemed we always had less waste if we left a foot or so between the rows of bales
The bottoms still got wet but seemed like they didn't get as wet if the rows were spaced apart maybe the sun and air between them helped with that I don't know
might of been because grass would grow between them also and maybe it soaked up some of the moisture also
How you liking your new tractor
Glad you were able to get it

I always put bales tight end to end with the rows spaced 2 feet apart running east to west so the sun can dry between the bales. I definitely have less waste that way.

Is this spotted cow a Gurnsey cross It is nice to see a spotted cow anymore Ive always liked spotted cows.
Bluegoose1

They are put East to West, but that is only because of the way the hill is. Put them the other way and they would roll down it.

No Bluegoose, both are beef cattle.

Magpies Mum is a Brahman x Murray Grey, known as a Greyman. Every calf she gives us is a different colour, We have had brown brindle and black before and this is the first time with broken colour.

Dad is a 7/8th Bazadais x 1/8th Droughtmaster.

Mosiac's mother is a droughtmaster x Charbray and is completely cream like a Charbray. So quite a surprise with the colour for both those two calves.

What is all that green stuff on the ground??? Ours is all white right now. And what is that liquid stuff in the pond??? guys are driving on our ponds and sitting out there in little shantys over a hole in the ice.

Beautiful pictures and countryside! Thanks. I need to see something like that right now, a reminder that it will warm up some day!

Jim

My computer will happily send you heat vibes. When it gets too hot, it turns itself off!! That is because of a missing 5000 gallon tank that used to stop the sun coming in this room. Yes I have curtains up.

Latest posts