understanding EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A few months ago someone posted a link to help understand EPDs. The new Genex catalog came and I'm trying to decide which of their straws to use on our Angus and angusXherfords. If you could post the link again it'd really be helpful. Thanks

[email protected]

I've posted this one previously. Maybe it can help you out. It's "Bull Buying Strategies...." <A HREF="http://www.angus.org/pubs/bullbuy.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.angus.org/pubs/bullbuy.htm</A>

What bulls are you looking at? We used Bando 5175 from Genex last year. The calves are young, but look pretty good...

> A few months ago someone posted a
> link to help understand EPDs. The
> new Genex catalog came and I'm
> trying to decide which of their
> straws to use on our Angus and
> angusXherfords. If you could post
> the link again it'd really be
> helpful. Thanks

[email protected]

>I printed it off this time. We're thinking of useing a simmental bull, GW "Lucky Break" 047G. We have been trying to sell the steers as freezer beef, and try to finish with as little grain as we can [we have none and have to buy it]. Concerned with birth weights also. Thanks for the link.

[email protected]

I hope it can help you somewhat. The Angus Assn. doesn't have a "Calving Ease" EPD; we use the BW EPD to select calving ease sires. It's my understanding that the higher the Calving Ease EPD #, the better? On the other hand, a lower BW EPD is better than a high BW EPD number for calving ease. Lucky Break looks good; wish he had some carcass data. Good luck....

[email protected]

The Calving Ease EPD relates to percentage of UNASSISTED births in first calf heifers, so the higher the number the better.

Ann B

> I hope it can help you somewhat.
> The Angus Assn. doesn't have a
> "Calving Ease" EPD; we
> use the BW EPD to select calving
> ease sires. It's my understanding
> that the higher the Calving Ease
> EPD #, the better? On the other
> hand, a lower BW EPD is better
> than a high BW EPD number for
> calving ease. Lucky Break looks
> good; wish he had some carcass