Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

if a egg splits before its fertilized results in semi identical twins and the egg splits after fertilization results in identical twins i can understand this part but still dont understand how a bull himself is responsable for the twinning of the calves.seems like it would be maternal orinented

ALACOWMAN":3lk1wmqo said:
still dont understand how a bull himself is responsable for the twinning of the calves.seems like it would be maternal orinented

The sire of the twins doesn;t have the affect. The sire of the mother of the twins can have the affect of causing twinning.

dun

dun":2yev4ff2 said:
ALACOWMAN":2yev4ff2 said:
still dont understand how a bull himself is responsable for the twinning of the calves.seems like it would be maternal orinented

The sire of the twins doesn;t have the affect. The sire of the mother of the twins can have the affect of causing twinning.

dun
yes dun i know that part. read what msscamp wrote thats were im confused.

ALACOWMAN":3u0d0wbk said:
dun":3u0d0wbk said:
ALACOWMAN":3u0d0wbk said:

dun
yes dun i know that part. read what msscamp wrote thats were im confused.

I was proposing the possibility - that's all.

if a egg splits before its fertilized results in semi identical twins and the egg splits after fertilization results in identical twins

An egg is haploid meaning it only has half of a set of DNA if it was to split before fertilization it would only have a quarter set of DNA rendering it useless. Eggs splitting before fertilization is rare and i doubt if a calf has ever been born from one.

although its unlikely that this would happen,thats not what im talking about. what im talking about is the sire of the twins has no influence over the twinning other than the fertilization of the eggs.

Other than the possibility of the genes on Chromosone #5 (which sounds interesting). Yes you are Absolutely right. A bull that is more fertile will have a higher probability of fertilizing all the eggs. The fertile bull might also have the problem of too many sperm as in more than one gets in the egg which would result in embryo loss. Another factor would be a bull which has a defect that causes severe embryo malformitiy. This would cause all embryos in question to be lost early in pregnancy.

You've got your head on straight ALACOWMAN.