Cow raising twins

Help Support CattleToday:

medicinewoman":3ai4fslt said:
CKC1586

two sets of twins and has raised two singles six calves for a 7 year old
You should have had at least 6 calves in 7 yrs with no twins, which tells me that cow was non-productive for around 24 months of her 6 potential productive years.
Around 12 months in a 6 year productive life would be close to normal. That's a 60 day breed back time each year.
Sounds to me like she has a breed back problem.
I would defiantly cull her.

Did you intentionally leave her open for a total of 12 months over those 6 years?
MW

I'm just guessing here but, I think it was intentional. Perhaps the Cows first 12 months of it's life.

LRTX1

The cow is " 7 years old" and I allowed for 1 year to reach first heat.
Which leaves 6 productive years to produce 6 calves with no twins.
With 2 sets of twins and 2 singles, for a total of six, there are two years unaccounted for.
2 sets of twins is equal to 2 births and 2 singles is equal to 2 births, for a total of only 4 births in 6 years.
What happened to the 2 missing births she could have produced? :???:

MW

LRTX1":3r7k9uma said:
medicinewoman":3r7k9uma said:
CKC1586

You should have had at least 6 calves in 7 yrs with no twins, which tells me that cow was non-productive for around 24 months of her 6 potential productive years.
Around 12 months in a 6 year productive life would be close to normal. That's a 60 day breed back time each year.

Did you intentionally leave her open for a total of 12 months over those 6 years?
MW

I'm just guessing here but, I think it was intentional. Perhaps the Cows first 12 months of it's life.

This cow may also be a fall born animal, which would mean she is bred now. That would make 6 calves from 2007 (as a 2 year old) to 2011. I don't think that is bad at all, especially when she has produced that much.
MW, have you ever had a cow produce like that and miss a little time?

medicinewoman":zrwzrljl said:
CKC1586

MW
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However this"Gold Trophy Dam" will not be culled any time soon probably not until she is in her 20s. This is a late maturing breed and we let them gain maturity before breeding. They mature late but produce for many many years far beyond many of the "traditional breeds". Six productive years???? I would change breeds if that is all you can get.

I must have junky cows because I find it hard to get 6 calves out of a raised hiefer by her 7 th b day

medicinewoman":1w79pyf9 said:
LRTX1

With 2 sets of twins and 2 singles, for a total of six, there are two years unaccounted for.
2 sets of twins is equal to 2 births and 2 singles is equal to 2 births, for a total of only 4 births in 6 years.

MW
Gold Trophy Dam: 6/18/2005 left her to mature before breeding I do not want them giving birth until they are at least two. She has many many many productive years ahead of her. Giving them time to reach maturing will give me more productive years. Certainly more that six for cripes sake! What the heck breed do you raise?

CKC1586":2oxgchzw said:
medicinewoman":2oxgchzw said:
LRTX1

MW
Gold Trophy Dam: 6/18/2005 left her to mature before breeding I do not want them giving birth until they are at least two. She has many many many productive years ahead of her. Giving them time to reach maturing will give me more productive years. Certainly more that six for cripes sake! What the heck breed do you raise?

CKC we all agree with you, good producers do not want our heifers bred until they are around 15 months of age, unless we need to short breed to move up a calving season etc. and we are willing to take that chance. Being a bred growing heifer is hard enough, let alone raising a good calf, producing decent milk and breeding back in a timely manner . Btw ,anyone in their right mind would be ecstatic to have your Gold Trophy Dam in their herd . :tiphat:

JSCATTLE":1ozwjuk7 said:
I must have junky cows because I find it hard to get 6 calves out of a raised hiefer by her 7 th b day

I must be doing something wrong . I want my heifers to calve at 24 mo. and then every 12 mo after that . By the time they are 7 ( give or take 45-60 days ) they need to have calved 6 times..
:rtarrow: :2cents:

hillsdown":3ce894bw said:
CKC1586":3ce894bw said:
medicinewoman":3ce894bw said:
LRTX1

MW

CKC we all agree with you, good producers do not want our heifers bred until they are around 15 months of age, unless we need to short breed to move up a calving season etc. and we are willing to take that chance. Being a bred growing heifer is hard enough, let alone raising a good calf, producing decent milk and breeding back in a timely manner . Btw ,anyone in their right mind would be ecstatic to have your Gold Trophy Dam in their herd . :tiphat:

Well as you know HD after "my episode" the folks came from Nebraska to look at my group and were so impressed they made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the entire group. They are very happy with their purchase and are using my cattle in their promotion pictures and on their website. I have my embroys still and hope to regroup/recover to the point I can cook a couple next year. I feel kinda stupid for responding to the poser but was only trying to contribute to what I thought was a legitimate thread. Bless your heart for your support and friendship.

hillsdown":dezektg8 said:
James T":dezektg8 said:

In spite of the dunce cap roaming the North, I would agree somewhat in letting a prospective buyer know that the bull is one of the twins just to address whatever concerns they have (regardless of those being possibly unjustified). The bottom line would be a BSE on the bull which would reveal any issues with testical size, live sperm count/ratio, etc. If the BSE is sound, it should dispel any concerns. Good luck with it and I hope it works out!

His EPD's and registration will show it if the breeders are worth a pinch of salt in integrity .

I had best go knock my clean up bull on the head now as he must be a piece of crap. The dam raised him and his sister by herself and he was a forage only raised bull with a 39 cm scrotal circumference as a 15 month old and tested in the 90's for fertility and mobility . :lol2:[/quote]

And here I was thinking that purveyors of seedstock were into genetic improvement. I've learned something interesting and different today!

Revealing the EPD's and BSE is certainly expected in my book, but so would being made aware that the bull was one of the twins so that at least, I could make the choice.

So I don't know why I am continuing to respond to this but.....The first set of twins bull is working up North and his owner is thrilled with his performance. As I stated before his sister went to the freezer. The second set one is working in Texas one did a little bit of work in Michigan and is now in Nebraska. And of course there was full disclosure as to all of their birth circumstances.

CKC1586":3vzfw9zv said:
So I don't know why I am continuing to respond to this but.....The first set of twins bull is working up North and his owner is thrilled with his performance. As I stated before his sister went to the freezer. The second set one is working in Texas one did a little bit of work in Michigan and is now in Nebraska. And of course there was full disclosure as to all of their birth circumstances.

Yeah, the one in Texas is on my farm and I can't wait to see his first offspring. If I do retain one of his heifers I'll probably have my fingers crossed she gives me twins one day.

CKC1586":9me0789l said:

I wasn't responding to your post CKC but I appreciate that you disclose such things to your buyers even though it's not likely the twin bull would have any problems, particularly with EPD's and a positive BSE in hand. My concern was that if a breeder failed to deal with a "perceived" issue, regarding twins when they sold the bull, then it might come back to haunt them later. You disclosed it anyway, even though you knew there was no problem. So, when that buyer is asked for a referral of a breeder, who do think he/she going to name? The one who revealed everything about their bulls or the one he later learned didn't disclose it all?

slick4591":305ygol4 said:
CKC1586":305ygol4 said:

Yeah, the one in Texas is on my farm and I can't wait to see his first offspring. If I do retain one of his heifers I'll probably have my fingers crossed she gives me twins one day.
I am excited to see his first crop of babies too! I don't know if I had told you that Dyson went to Nebraska? They bought all of mine, 15 of Jerry's and 10 of Dan's. They had a double decker semi load! Oh Henry has quite a reputation up north near Edmore. His owner's neighbors have used him too, he leads him down there to visit their ladies.

Kathie in Thorp":3bnbwfye said:
So glad you found the perfect placement for your cattle, CKC!!
Really, they found me. THey are living on a beautiful ranch and there are big plans for them. I am still pretty much heartbroken at having to part with them. But so glad they are where they will be appreciated and cared for.

CKC1586":3ddusf4p said:
Kathie in Thorp":3ddusf4p said:
Really, they found me. THey are living on a beautiful ranch and there are big plans for them. I am still pretty much heartbroken at having to part with them. But so glad they are where they will be appreciated and cared for.
I know that was hard for you, Cindy. Glad you were able to visit them at their new place, and the new buyers will keep you in the loop! Hugs! :)

Kathie in Thorp":2mbcatjs said:
CKC1586":2mbcatjs said:
Kathie in Thorp":2mbcatjs said:
I know that was hard for you, Cindy. Glad you were able to visit them at their new place, and the new buyers will keep you in the loop! Hugs! :)
Thanks Kathie!!!!