Cow raising twins

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
This is in response to my post about my cow having twins.
If I am able to get the cow to accept both I know she will need extra attention in order to raise the calves properly.

If i give the cow extra feed, plus good grass, mineral, and salt, would she be able to raise the calves to a normal size and breed back?

The cow would not be going with the bull until October.

Once the calves were old enough they can eat the feed as well. The bull calf would most likely be sold as a herd bull prospect and the heifer for beef so extra conditioning would not hurt either when it was time to sell them.

I own twin heifers (beef-type), born to a co-worker's first-time calver last year. She was on good grass; may have been supplemented with some grain. Twins were not bottle-supplemented They were weaned at 6 mos., in great shape, and they are in great shape/expected size now that they are yearlings.

BRAFORDMAN":va6ebkoo said:
This is in response to my post about my cow having twins.
If I am able to get the cow to accept both I know she will need extra attention in order to raise the calves properly.

If i give the cow extra feed, plus good grass, mineral, and salt, would she be able to raise the calves to a normal size and breed back?

The cow would not be going with the bull until October.

Once the calves were old enough they can eat the feed as well. The bull calf would most likely be sold as a herd bull prospect and the heifer for beef so extra conditioning would not hurt either when it was time to sell them.

Yes .

BRAFORDMAN

Yes, but don't breed her back until the calves are weaned, as producing 3 calves at the same time is too much to ask of her.
Even if she is a good milk producer both calves will probably be on the light side as twins are often runts.

The bull calf would most likely be sold as a herd bull prospect
I would highly recommend against that, unless you fully disclose he is one of twins, as most commercial cow/calf operation do not want anything to do with twins, or runts.

MW

medicinewoman":167jdg8m said:
BRAFORDMAN

Yes, but don't breed her back until the calves are weaned, as producing 3 calves at the same time is too much to ask of her.
Even if she is a good milk producer both calves will probably be on the light side as twins are often runts.

I would highly recommend against that, unless you fully disclose he is one of twins, as most commercial cow/calf operation do not want anything to do with twins, or runts.

MW

:lol2: :lol: :dunce:

medicinewoman":1bz8autg said:
BRAFORDMAN

MW

If your going to feed her She better breed back or she's a cull .

I've seen alot of twin bulls sell to commerical breeders. If its a runt its needs to be culled at weaning .

medicinewoman":3uqfapmb said:
BRAFORDMAN

MW

I perfectly understand. I'm not going to market a bull if he is a runt. But this bull calf is one of the best built brahman calves I have raised. He is only 5 days old and shows lots of potential. He is very wide across his back. and has a nice build.
Too soon to tell about how he will be marketed, whether commercially, seed stock, or cull at salebarn. But I know a good bull calf when I see one. Time will tell.

Out of 3 bull calves last year. One is for sale as seedstock material. One has a bad disposition and will be culled. And the third may be marketed commercially or culled. I am picky when buying bulls and I will be when selling them.

I am not planning on putting the cow with a bull until late October. The calves will be about 6 months then and I will wean them before hand.

So glad you are here to post links to such useful information. :tiphat: How the hay real ranchers/cattlemen/women got along without you is flipping amazing . :tiphat:

If you want to know about twinning why not ask those that know what they are doing. Oh wait, that would be much too basic for an idealist such as yourself or as you would say ,one that "thinks outside of the box" !

medicinewoman":3644u5fm said:
BRAFORDMAN

MW

In spite of the dunce cap roaming the North, I would agree somewhat in letting a prospective buyer know that the bull is one of the twins just to address whatever concerns they have (regardless of those being possibly unjustified). The bottom line would be a BSE on the bull which would reveal any issues with testical size, live sperm count/ratio, etc. If the BSE is sound, it should dispel any concerns. Good luck with it and I hope it works out!

I don't care If she's raising 4 she better breed back or im sending her to the sale . No way on earth would I wait to wean a calf before I put her with a bull. I bought some brangus cows 3 years ago one had twins on her . I sold 1140 pounds of steer that year off her . I made 250 bucks over what I paid for her in 4 months . And she calved on time the next year .

JSCATTLE":2wdpyquc said:
I don't care If she's raising 4 she better breed back or im sending her to the sale . No way on earth would I wait to wean a calf before I put her with a bull. I bought some brangus cows 3 years ago one had twins on her . I sold 1140 pounds of steer that year off her . I made 250 bucks over what I paid for her in 4 months . And she calved on time the next year .
The only reason I am waiting until October is because that's when my main brahman herd is put with a bull.
She got bred in July on accident last year.

James T":1i3o8w3t said:

In spite of the dunce cap roaming the North, I would agree somewhat in letting a prospective buyer know that the bull is one of the twins just to address whatever concerns they have (regardless of those being possibly unjustified). The bottom line would be a BSE on the bull which would reveal any issues with testical size, live sperm count/ratio, etc. If the BSE is sound, it should dispel any concerns. Good luck with it and I hope it works out![/quote]

His EPD's and registration will show it if the breeders are worth a pinch of salt in integrity .

I had best go knock my clean up bull on the head now as he must be a piece of crap. The dam raised him and his sister by herself and he was a forage only raised bull with a 39 cm scrotal circumference as a 15 month old and tested in the 90's for fertility and mobility . :lol2:

BRAFORDMAN":2gmawzsh said:
JSCATTLE":2gmawzsh said:
The only reason I am waiting until October is because that's when my main brahman herd is put with a bull.
Thats a good reason...

JSCATTLE":4a610xoj said:
BRAFORDMAN":4a610xoj said:
JSCATTLE":4a610xoj said:
Thats a good reason...

I'm with you 100% on cows needing to get bred on time.
I have learned from the past.

Considering how much i hate twins, I would be the type of producer who would want to know if he was a twin. Not a risk I like. If it were me, I would pass just because i hate having twins so much.
IMO, twins cost more, need more groceries to the cow to raise decent calves, and the risk on breed back or even the risk on a good sizes weaned calf next year due to being run down a bit is what is the draw back to me.
We have had a few twins, and it takes it's tole on a cow, in Manitoba winters that is

rockridgecattle":2oewss28 said:
Considering how much i hate twins, I would be the type of producer who would want to know if he was a twin. Not a risk I like. If it were me, I would pass just because i hate having twins so much.
IMO, twins cost more, need more groceries to the cow to raise decent calves, and the risk on breed back or even the risk on a good sizes weaned calf next year due to being run down a bit is what is the draw back to me.
We have had a few twins, and it takes it's tole on a cow, in Manitoba winters that is

Twins are also associated with retained placenta, later breed back, open cows, and more work. I always love every calf, even twins, but to have twins is not only lovely.

If a herd bull was born a twin, this will not bring more twins in his progeny, because the cow decides to twin or not. However, his daughters may carry genetics that favour twinning. Also many bulls and cows that are born non-twin carry the same genetics.

BRAFORDMAN":iapvxj83 said:
medicinewoman":iapvxj83 said:
BRAFORDMAN

MW

I perfectly understand. I'm not going to market a bull if he is a runt. But this bull calf is one of the best built brahman calves I have raised. He is only 5 days old and shows lots of potential. He is very wide across his back. and has a nice build.
Too soon to tell about how he will be marketed, whether commercially, seed stock, or cull at salebarn. But I know a good bull calf when I see one. Time will tell.

Out of 3 bull calves last year. One is for sale as seedstock material. One has a bad disposition and will be culled. And the third may be marketed commercially or culled. I am picky when buying bulls and I will be when selling them.

I am not planning on putting the cow with a bull until late October. The calves will be about 6 months then and I will wean them before hand.

:shock:

Remember, as seedstock producers, a knife can be our most useful tool! :tiphat:

My 2005 cow sucessfully raised two sets of twins and has raised two singles six calves for a 7 year old is pretty darn good in my opinion. Her 2007 bull calf is producing calf crops that his owner is very pleased with, he was a twin to a heifer. The heifer was tested and she went to the freezer.

CKC1586

two sets of twins and has raised two singles six calves for a 7 year old
You should have had at least 6 calves in 7 yrs with no twins, which tells me that cow was non-productive for around 24 months of her 6 potential productive years.
Around 12 months in a 6 year productive life would be close to normal. That's a 60 day breed back time each year.
Sounds to me like she has a breed back problem.
I would defiantly cull her.

Did you intentionally leave her open for a total of 12 months over those 6 years?
MW

Latest posts