Cow raising twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad to know Dyson ended up with them, too. They are putting together quite a string! And I need to get you a recent picture of Bryson.

slick4591":28k4fabc said:
Glad to know Dyson ended up with them, too. They are putting together quite a string! And I need to get you a recent picture of Bryson.
Yes you do! He has to be really coming into his own.Hope he gives you some heifers. I am going to go back out to Nebraska after they get some of their projects done there at Toro Ranch. They just took ownership December first and have big renovation plans. Josh and Jenny are just what the breed needs and the company they work for has their poop in a group! Exciting for the breed!

medicinewoman":1pevl5yc said:
Did I miss something- What breed is this "Gold Trophy Dam " ?
MW

I believe she is Piedmontese. From Slick's profile pic and CKC's, that is what their cattle look like.

Well it's certainly an interesting breed, but I don't thing they will make it as a commercial cow/calf operation.
MW

medicinewoman":1ne5p7l2 said:
Well it's certainly an interesting breed, but I don't thing they will make it as a commercial cow/calf operation.
MW
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. :tiphat: But I "thing" you are wrong. We'll see.

medicinewoman":2j5uaio6 said:
MW

So, PLEASE give us your "EXPERT" opinion on what WILL make it as a commercial cow/calf operation?

medicinewoman":3srv2vhg said:
MW

It is an interesting breed and that's why I bought a group of them. They'll be more interesting when I start cashing the nice checks they bring.

CKC1586

But I "thing" you are wrong. We'll see.
True! And it wouldn't be the first time for me.
I was two years late switching from Herefords to Black Angus when I didn't think that fad would catch on.

greatgerts

So, PLEASE give us your "EXPERT" opinion on what WILL make it as a commercial cow/calf operation?
I would hardly call myself an "expert" on this breed as I only know what I have read about it.
As for " what WILL make it as a commercial cow/calf operation ? "
Right now just about any other breed that has already proven itself.
But Black Angus is the hottest breed --------- for now.

As for the Piedmontese, I would have to see a lot more independent studies done on them before I would invest in them as I have far too many unanswered questions about the breed.

As I read it, their claim to fame is lean meat and I don't see a demand for more lean meat.
There is more then enough lean meat already coming from the dairy industry and you can take almost any meat and trim it and properly cook it and it becomes lean with out giving up the flavor and/or tenderness.

But that's just me.
MW

medicinewoman":3op30tws said:
I was two years late switching from Herefords to Black Angus when I didn't think that fad would catch on.

If you were two years late then there must have been a year that was the one to make the change. What year was the exactly correct year to switch from Herefords to Black Angus?

What year was the exactly correct year to switch from Herefords to Black Angus?
??????? 2003 - 2004 ???? When the rumors of Certified Angus Beef ® brand and McDonald's serving CAB first started flying.

How long has it been since you heard anyone asking for a leaner burger or a soy burger?
MW

medicinewoman":33dtfykb said:
??????? 2003 - 2004 ???? When the rumors of Certified Angus Beef ® brand and McDonald's serving CAB first started flying.

How long has it been since you heard anyone asking for a leaner burger or a soy burger?
MW

August of 2011 for me. It was my last catering gig and it was for a party of 125. Out of the total I had 37 vegetarian burger patties to grill along with smoked turkey and brisket. That's when I learned that a little Greek seasoning would make BOCA burgers taste better. Whether you would like to admit it or not lots of people are eating and buying healthier, and I include myself in the word "lots".

slick4591":e6gc01j8 said:
medicinewoman":e6gc01j8 said:

MW

August of 2011 for me. It was my last catering gig and it was for a party of 125. Out of the total I had 37 vegetarian burger patties to grill along with smoked turkey and brisket. That's when I learned that a little Greek seasoning would make BOCA burgers taste better. Whether you would like to admit it or not lots of people are eating and buying healthier, and I include myself in the

word "lots".
Lots but not lot enough, never seen so many fat folks in all my life. Young old black or white. I think the black female hold the record. Fat fat and super fat.

medicinewoman":3h88ns4g said:

MW

I think that 2003-2004 would put you way behind the curve. I noticed in the early 90's that black feeder calves were getting at least a dime more than straight Herefords. By that time it was getting tough to a ranch that had a straight Hereford cow herd. I still have some Hereford cows but they have baldie calves at their side. I worked for a rancher in the early 80's who had a straight Black Angus herd. Old Charlie didn't know just how far ahead of the times he was.

lynnmcmahan":22ez3vhp said:
Lots but not lot enough, never seen so many fat folks in all my life. Young old black or white. I think the black female hold the record. Fat fat and super fat.

Lynn, you need to quit shopping at Walmart. :lol:

You're right Slick, almost got creamer by a 300#er driving one of those fat person scooter.
Soon WalMart will look like a bumper car track.

medicinewoman":1pts50hg said:
Well it's certainly an interesting breed, but I don't thing they will make it as a commercial cow/calf operation.MW

What kind of commercial cow/calf operation are you referring to as a potential failure? All of them? Just feedlots? By breed (breeders)? The general private treaty market? The salebarn? The grass fed or natural market? A breed like Piedmontese has some special traits that certainly wouldn't be financially appreciated by the cookie cutter black of the feedlots and certainly not by salebarns. But those in the lean beef market, grass fed/natural and niche breeders have produced a demand that makes it viable for someone to entertain.

Define 'make it".

James T,
What kind of commercial cow/calf operation are you referring to as a potential failure? All of them?
Yes, all of them.

The goal of any cow/calf operation, from gene selection to finished product at the slaughterhouse is to produce fat ( marbling ) which produces USDA Prime beef ( aka restaurant quality beef ) which pays a premium price.
Or as close to prime as they can to maximize their return.
A cow/calf operation not only breed for quantity they also breed for quality.

For a commercial cow/calf operation to inject genes into a herd which produces lean beef would be equal to cutting their own throat and I don't see that happening.

Nor do I see a sufficient demand for lean beef to create a new and separate pipeline to those few consumers who want lean beef as they can already buy lean beef in most any grocery store.

Then there are all the negative health issues associated with an animal that does not have a reserve of energy (fat) to be dealt with.

MW

medicinewoman":240z1vz6 said:
James T,
What kind of commercial cow/calf operation are you referring to as a potential failure? All of them?
Yes, all of them.

The goal of any cow/calf operation, from gene selection to finished product at the slaughterhouse is to produce fat ( marbling ) which produces USDA Prime beef ( aka restaurant quality beef ) which pays a premium price.
Or as close to prime as they can to maximize their return.
A cow/calf operation not only breed for quantity they also breed for quality.

For a commercial cow/calf operation to inject genes into a herd which produces lean beef would be equal to cutting their own throat and I don't see that happening.

Nor do I see a sufficient demand for lean beef to create a new and separate pipeline to those few consumers who want lean beef as they can already buy lean beef in most any grocery store.

Then there are all the negative health issues associated with an animal that does not have a reserve of energy (fat) to be dealt with.

MW

I guess only seedstock Angus herds are going to survive...