Help PLEASE...Feeding Cow w/Twins?

Help Support CattleToday:

kdhansen

Reaction score
Need help for safe optimum feeding of cow (2nd yr Angus) that had twins 6 days ago. It's been touch and go with twin bull calves. Cow is doing a great job, has good milk, but I know this is going to take a toll on her if both live. She had only been on pasture, but in decent weight. Started her on 2#COB morning and evening, and have put out some good quality grass hay (which she is eating when not tending to calves). Any suggestions on what one would start feeding and how much, how often...also how FAST to increase? Been told put her on 16% dairy, calf manna, etc...concerned about too much, too fast. #1 was 73#, #2 was 70#, I had been watching her closely as I thought she might have one big calf due to her belly so wide before calving...and then she has two...I don't care for this! Both developed scours on day 2, have on Naxcel and giving electrolytes. Thought #2 wasn't gong to make it at first, but he has turned around, and the larger boned one (#1), now took a turn for the worst. Did get him up and nurse a little every 4 hours last night, this morning he got up by himself, but sure looks pathetic. Most of what I've been doing I've got from searching this forum on twins and scours...but would like some reassurance or advice. Also, how much Kaopectate, how often...pros and cons of it???

I think Kaopec says the dosage on the label. 30-60cc's every so many hours as needed.... check it or call your vet. Pros: it'll bind to toxins that are created by the scour-causing bugs. Cons: don't give it with oral antibiotics, as it seems to bind to those too.

As long as you have good pasture/hay (preferably alfalfa) the cow should be fine, perhaps 5-8lbs/day in grain would be sufficient if she starts to lose weight. I have a 2 y/o angus/Hol cow here that is raising 3 calves (only one is her's), cow is in good condition and calves are gaining over 2lbs/hd/day. No grain needed so far.

Did she have trouble having the twins? I've had many sets of twins over the years, and haven't found the calves to be more prone to be sick than a single born calf, so it seems odd that they both have been sick. Obviously you've been watching them, so they should have gotten colostrum.

I wouldn't give the cow much more than you're doing right now, unless you don't think she's milking very well. The calves are young yet, so they aren't eating that much, and if one or both is sick, especially not eating as much. But you can gradually get her up to a few lbs of a bagged sweet mix feed a day and good hay. It may get to the point where it's easier to feed the calves in a creep feeder than the cow.

The first calf born seemed pretty normal birth(especially because I was expecting a huge calf). The second calf came about 30 minutes later, and acow couldn't have been down more than 1 minute...I thought it was dead, but she got right after it and it seemed ok. #1 was up and nursing before #2 got up, and #2 was up and nursed within 30 minutes...all seemed ok. The cow had passed the first afterbirth pretty quick, but the second one did not. The vet put her on LA200. I've never had a retained placenta, so one not passing worried me, vet said just leave alone and keep an eye on. Then the babies started the scours. Don't know if any of this connects. Vet figured they picked up something with the wet weather not helping. I've never had scours (7 calf seasons, though only 6-8 calves a year), so this is a definite learning experience (and not the kind I like)... The cow is really good on the milk. If they haven't nursed in 3-4 hours, she is dripping milk. I won't worry so much about the extra feed then...but will keep a close eye on her. I wondered about the alfalfa...but I assume I best start slow on that, too, if/when she may need some. I've already planned to help "subsidize" the calves when they are able. I did note the amt on the Kaopec...3-4oz as needed (after each bowel movement)...just seemed like an awful lot. So beings they are not getting an "oral" antibiotic, this should be ok? THANKYOU both for your feedback...and if any of the info I've given you turns a light bulb on, please let me know...

Something to think about-it's easier, quicker and will take less feed to keep one in good condition than what it will to get her back. When she starts to slide you should start pushing her quickly vs letting her get to a bcs 2 and then trying to get her back.

One of our heifers had twins this year. She is doing fantastic taking care of both of them. I asked our vet about supplimenting her and he said that if she is in good body condition, it is does not make much sense in a beef animal. She was in excellent body condition so we did not. He did suggest supplimenting the calves if we saw a problem. He also said watch to make sure the bigger of the calves was not pushing away the smaller.

I was looking at them today, they are about 6 weeks old, everybody is looking great. She has maintained very good condition on pasture and the calves, though smaller than their herd mates, are healthy and stout little heifers. I am sorry you are having to deal with scours, that is a mess for sure. Engler is right though, try to catch her going down if she is going to do that (she may very well be fine), it is definately easier to maintain than it is to bring them back up.

So far, so good. Had a day there where I wasn't so sure if they were going to get better, but they have bounced back pretty good. I started checking every 2-3 hours one night as they seemed a bit lathargic every time I went out there, but if I got just a little electrolytes and warm water down them, they'd start nursing agressively. Kaopectate seems to have helped with the scours, they are better each day. The cow is in good condition, but keeping a close eye on her, so will adjust/add feed if necessary. I have gained a whole new appreciation of this cow, as she has been so attentive, but yet lets me get in there and do my part. The weather has been so wet and rainy (records for August). Now the grass is coming back up, apparently high sugar content (per vet), and causing loose stools and major mineral consumption, but none seemed distressed. Here's a picture of the cow when she was a calf...she can have a bit of an "attitude" at times, but maybe that's a good thing for when things get tough. I know after this, she has risen up the "favorites" list. Thankyou all for your help, experiences and suggestions...so deeply appreciated.