Twin heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Would you breed them or eat them? Not free martins since they are both heifers, but do they have an increased chance of having twins themselves? If they did, in the short term, it could mean more calves, but smaller.

Depends on their quality. Just because they are twins does not mean they will throw twins. It would not sway me either way, it would totally depend on the animal itself and whether she is worthy of being a cow or not.

There is a slightly greater chance they will twin then those from a single birth. There was a guy I think in Iowa or someplace similar that was developing a line of twining cows. He only kept twin calves and bull that were twins. That deal finally ended because even with the supposed twining genetics it was still only about 30 come percent twins being born. Regardless of them having enough milk, the main problem with twins is frequently (maybe most of the time) they are difficult births and frequently only one calf is born alive, if eithr of them are. Then there is the problem with the cow raising twins getting bred back on time without supplementation. Twins take a whole different management generally then single births.

After all that prattling, if they are ghood enough to keep as replacements I would keep them and just be aware that there may be issues with calving/breeding back

i have no prob breeding a set of twin heifers.if they are grown off an are good enough to breed.