Twin surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Been noticing 2 little baldie heifer calves not doing bad but just not fat and slick like the other calves in my son's commercial herd . Just thought I had 2 mommas that might need to take the ride to the sale barn . Well yesterday I saw this cow get out of the pond and these 2 calves start nursing her . She turned right and licked that one for a minute and then turned left and did the same . Light 💡 time ! Twins . They look enough alike that I guess I would see her with one but not both until yesterday? Herdsman needs to step his game up and I'll give you one guess who the herdsman is . IMG_4686.jpegIMG_4685.jpegIMG_4688.jpegIMG_4687.jpeg

Probably put my creep gate back up and make a little creep feed available in late August or early September. Bigger / older calves will be gone by then . Good rains are making the crabgrass grow like crazy for now .

We have two sets of twins this year. Early preg checks say I have another set coming in the spring. Not sure what it is but went years with no twins and last few years we seem to have at least one set for sure. Had a cow give us four sets, four years in a row.

Twins are a pain if things don't go well but we have been fortunate…calving unassisted, claiming and raising. So what can one say. 🤷‍♀️

I pray this set coming next spring goes well…the cow is my "crankiest" post calving and calves sure shooting in the worst weather. Hasn't been an issue cause we haven't had to "deal with her" in close contact and she licks calf dry in no time, mothers well despite weather - but twins could present a challenge. Kids "laughed"… "good times" when vet announced "twins on this one." Of all cows not what we wanted to hear. Every spring… "should cull her on attitude"; every fall "damn that is a good calf", every preg check confirmed in calf at 35-42 days…this year twins at 35 days postpartum. Guess we'll go another year with Miss Cranky Pants!

Don't know the stas but in the last 3 years we have had 2 sets and these are the only ones we have ever raised . In 10 years we have had 5-6 sets and have lost all except the last 2 .

Latest posts