Turning out cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I know from north to south there is a lot of difference but when do you quit feeding hay and turn out for the summer? I plan on turning out this weekend if I can get them all worked.

Except for the cows going to the annual sale they have been out on pasture all year. Haven;t fed hay in a couple of weeks

Well, it depends. This year I will have them out before 4/15. Last year it was 5/1 and the year before it was 4/1. Just depends on the condition of the forage and of course how much hay I have left figures into the equation too.

because of the ice storm i finally turned out the last group 2 weeks ago. they quit eating hay about the same time.

same here our cows are on pasture year round.an they quit eating hay about the 1st of march.only ate 4 bales on the bad cold snapps.

What exactly are you looking for in the grass to determine when to turn out. Some turn out when the grass is green, others wait for 6" of growth, others wait until fescue is in the 3 leaf stage.

DS FARM":14nypxw7 said:
What exactly are you looking for in the grass to determine when to turn out. Some turn out when the grass is green, others wait for 6" of growth, others wait until fescue is in the 3 leaf stage.
I usually turn my cows out around 4/15 1 because I try to wean around the 1st week of April and also I like the grass to be about 6inches tall or a little taller
this yr weaning is on 4/10 so the 15th will be real close to turn out

In Wisconsin I am still feeding hay and will be until about May 1. North and west there is another snowstorm coming. Mine are in a sacrifice area for another 2 weeks then to a small south facing pasture for 30 days and hopefully most of the calving.

This is another reason I am trying to compress the calving season. I'm looking for 20-30 days max. I know it can't be done. But if cows and bull are in top shape by July 4th maybe it will help.

There is no green grass yet to speak of. If allowed on any wet pasture it will really be destroyed right now. Everyone is running out of hay.

Thank goodness for the corn stalks for the steers and bull. I will have to leave them on the stalks until about May 1 with the hay situation. I need to get the grazed corn fields ready to plant corn again about the 2nd or 3rd week in May.

Next year I will have the cornstalks divided better so we can have his and hers stalks up until just a week or so prior to calving start. If the areas are sized correctly the grain will be mostly gone by early or mid Feb then they can wander and graze the husks and stalks more and not get fat nor require as much hay as they have since I pulled the cows from the stalks about Feb 1.

FWIW in the north.

Latest posts