Turning out heifer pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I helped B today. We hauled about 100 heifer pairs and turned them out. It is about 15 miles one way by road. The cows will walk home considerably shorter this fall. Three trailer hauled 4 trip each. Two full of the heifers and one not so full with the calves who go with the heifers in the other two trailers. 26 calves and a lead heifer in my trailer each trip. I was considerably under weight and had lots of room.
The first load for some reason B's hired man popped my trailer door right away. The "lead" heifer in that load was a Longhorn/Waygu cross. She hit the ground like her tail was on fire. She quickly disappeared down the draw 300 yards down hill with 26 bawling calves in tow. The other 25 heifers got out of the trailers walk 40 feet and their heads go down and they go to eating. We are afoot and not much we can do. Put the dogs on them and drove down to where the calves disappeared. Hope the heifers keep going or the calves come back. There is a couple thousand acres for them to get lost in.
The second trip it started snowing. April 28 and it is snowing!!! Third trip the ground is white and it is snowing sideways. A great day to turn out heifer pairs. Fourth trip the snow level has gone up some so it is warming a little. The ground up there is pretty wet. We just need it to warm up a little so grass will grow.

How do you select lead heifers, or do they select you?
I didn't select them. But after that first one I said use the tamest Hereford in the bunch. I think that first one selected herself by not sorting way from the calves. A sorted group was run into an alley. 14 heifers cut off and down the alley into the first trailer. Next trailer got 11 heifers. I got loaded last. The one heifer left and all the calves went on my trailer.

I can't tell you how many times some one has told me... they do this all the time... they been doing it a long time... they know what they are doing... and then I'm cleaning up a mess that could have been prevented with a little communication.

I can't tell you how many times some one has told me... they do this all the time... they been doing it a long time... they know what they are doing... and then I'm cleaning up a mess that could have been prevented with a little communication.
Makes you wonder how they ever get anything moved/sorted.

I have a friend who helps me with cattle. He's old enough to be my dad moves slow and doesn't get loud. Knows where to stand and where not to stand. He's worth more than my cousins three boys were altogether. They had cattle all their lives and were always on the wrong end of the business. Not just them but plenty others I've worked with too.