truck wheels

Help Support CattleToday:

katydid

Reaction score
I need some truck wheels for my big bale trailer . They are 20 inch bud wheels with a 5 hole 8 inch hole pattern with a 5 7/8 center hole.
Does any one know what truck these came off of ?

Thanks for your help

1940-50's I think, check this out. Found it on the web, maybe it will help..http://www.yesterdaystruck.com/cgi-bin/ ... =wwwboard1

Response: Re: Have widow maker wheels and need source for 1-piece ones
Poster: truckdog62563 Date: 01-29-2008 08:34:57 Thread: 28809.html
Man are you in good company. Budd, Motor Wheel, and Kelsey-Hayes listed both "lock ring" style and "side ring" wheels in their catalogs back in the day with your 5 lug x 8" pattern. While the wheels were made and sold by these companies, they all used outer rim designs from either Firestone or Goodyear. It seems that only Ford, though, made exclusive use of the deadly "side ring" Firestone RH-5° design where the rim's halves connect at the middle of the wheel. It appears that more and more shops are opting out of working on them for insurance/liability reasons.
Replacement "lock ring" wheels might be found at Stockton Wheel in CA, plus I've heard that Les Schwab on the west coast sometimes has reconditioned wheels available. Also, Bob Jones, who I suspect will be by here sortly, knows of another source that escapes me at the moment. I've had my best success on my trucks doing junk yard searches. Be careful, though, to make sure that any wheel you get has the lock ring mounted on it. You never want to buy a wheel and ring separately because there were many different designs. Mix matching rim and ring can be deadly too.

Budd and Accuride also manufactured one piece rims with this bolt pattern for tubeless radial tires into the late 1970s in both 19.5" and 22.5" sizes. They are VERY sought after by Ford, IH, and Dodge Travco motor home collectors. The only source I know of that keeps an eye open for these is Chuck Mantiglia of Chuck's Trucks in CT. His web page is http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com. Stu

Thanks for the reply.
I have been on the yesterday trucks website before, I have searched the internet for wheels.
I was hopeing I could find someone that could remember what year and kind of truck had these wheels or if someone knew of a salvage yard not listed on the internet

Thanks again

Some of the Ford P500's in the 60's ran a 5 hole budd wheel, the 2 piece ones were 18" and I think the 1 piece ones were 20" if I remember right, old step vans.

katydid":3txdxb0c said:
Thanks for the reply.
I have been on the yesterday trucks website before, I have searched the internet for wheels.
I was hopeing I could find someone that could remember what year and kind of truck had these wheels or if someone knew of a salvage yard not listed on the internet

Thanks again

I talked to the tire shop that services all our company trucks, he has been around a few years. He said to look at the 60's and 70's 2 ton trucks, he said a lot of them came with this size Budd wheel. Down here you see a lot of the old grain trucks with this style of rim. Not sure if that helps any though.

Easiest thing to do is go to a truck shop, buy two outer rims without the center plates off a trailer to fit standard 22.5" tires. Cut out the center plates for your old rims with a torch and well them to the new rims. The center on the new rims should be deep enough the weld the old center plate to. Measure just to be sure. That's what I did for my old wagon. No more screwing around with 20" tires or old rims.

Thanks for all the replys
One of my wheels broke out at the bolts holes so I can't use that wheel center.
Good news is I went to a farm auction Saturday and they had a old lowboy built with the same wheels that I need and I got it bought at a reasonable price.
Thanks again everyone

Latest posts