Why 16.1" wheels instead of 16"

Help Support CattleToday:

I see new balers with 16.1" wheels. Why not 16"?
I suppose it's to keep people from using used pickup tires.
I bet a 16 inch tire will fit on a 16.1 wheel. I've seen a lot of low-riders with a full inch discrepancy between the tire and the rim. It's been a thing for decades.

Getting a 16" tire to hold on a 16.1" rim at low pressures is tough. From memory the 16.1" tire beads are different angles than a typical 16" truck tire.

16.1" tires have been common for years on heavy equipment and tractors.

As for running "tires and rims with a full inch discrepancy" I kind of doubt that. Getting a smaller tire stretched on a bigger rim is nearly impossible, and the opposite (bigger tire than rim) ain't going to seat the beads.

Went to my first Lowrider Car Show and Hop Contest. So much attention to detail on these cars ...

Yeah that's a 15" tire on a 15" rim. Sure the tire is 6" wide on a x10" rim and the beads are stretched. Simple to do with a ratchet strap and a bead blaster. Maintain a high air pressure to keep the beads seated.

But that is NOT a 15" tire on a 16" rim, or 16" tire on a 15" rim.

Yeah that's a 15" tire on a 15" rim. Sure the tire is 6" wide on a x10" rim and the beads are stretched. Simple to do with a ratchet strap and a bead blaster. Maintain a high air pressure to keep the beads seated.

But that is NOT a 15" tire on a 16" rim, or 16" tire on a 15" rim.
Okay... then go down to southern California and check them out yourself.

10-4 tire expert..

And of all places California are absolute nazies about vehicles and inspections so I highly highly doubt of all places they are trying to somehow reinvent the wheel with mismatched tire to rim size.

Heck you can't hardly change your air filter there. Haha

Mounting a 16 inch or 16.5 on a 16.1 rim or any mixture is a good way to die. You might as well take the top nut of a strut without compressing it with the proper tools.
The reason 16 inch pick up tires went to 17 and larger size rims oe was to allow more room for brake calipers to allow rear disc brakes with enough capacity to stop the heavier vehicles.

Latest posts