16 ft bumper pull lowboy. Can I pull it 6 miles with just 3 wheels?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I've seen trailers going down the road with a wheel and tire missing but I've never had to do it myself. I need to go get an empty 16' utility trailer off the side of a farm to market road and pull it here, about 6 miles. If I jack it up, remove the blown out tire and wheel, will the hub for that wheel stay up off the ground? (Left front trailer wheel)
It has fenders so I know I can't chain the axle up to the trailer frame.

I've seen trailers going down the road with a wheel and tire missing but I've never had to do it myself. I need to go get an empty 16' utility trailer off the side of a farm to market road and pull it here, about 6 miles. If I jack it up, remove the blown out tire and wheel, will the hub for that wheel stay up off the ground? (Left front trailer wheel)
Take a come a long and a chain. If the hub wants to drag use your imagination and the. Come a long to jack up the hub.
Compressing the spring basically. Use the chain to secure it should your come along cable break. Haul azz
Edit. If you can get the jack under the axle you can eliminate the come along step . Just chain it up.

You can take a block of wood jack the trailer up and place the block on one of the equalizer on the tire and wheel that is still on the trailer. Forcing the equalizer on the spring that has the wheel removed to be high. Hope this makes sense.

6 miles isn't far GB. If you were to use a tractor with a tow ball on the 3 pt linkage and lift it high so the front wheels are barely touching the ground and make your way home. I often do this moving my wifes horse float so that the tandem axles aren't fighting each other and tearing up the grass when I'm turning it in tight areas.

Ken

Took the spare from my trailer and borrowed another since I didn't know the hole pattern. Neither fit.
I flipped my reciever hitch upside down and put the ball on top, which raised the hitch up and pulled it to my house with no wheel on it. Cleared the roadbed by about 5" without having to tie the axle up.
Thanks all.

The axle hub missing a tire absolutely should be higher than the remaining good wheel. If not, real poor engineering design.

That's not necessarily true. Depends on the set-up and front or rear etc. I'm not speaking as a engineer but as someone who's been there done that.
Exactly. A come along or strap or some thing is part of our tool kit for trailers.

There is a certain amount of sag in leaf springs when you take the weight off.

I have had people tell me if you take a front one off to take both off so the axle hangs evenly. The one good tire can try to shove the other hub/ spindle in to the ground. I've never done it that way, we just suck the one up a little but it makes sense.

Latest posts