How many miles would you go before you changed this oil?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I put it in a couple vehicles, but 20k miles sounds like way too many miles between changes.

ni2CN1d.jpg

Last edited:
I have 9 autos and I go 15k or so. Engines are better and so are oils than years ago. I have never had a problem. Fact the autos has a change oil light that comes on about that time so even the manufacturers know this

I wonder what the * statement after the guarantee states. agree that engines and oils are much better than years ago but not sure I would drive 20,000 miles without oil change. maybe it is for an electric powered vehicle.

5000 is about the limits.

"Guaranteed" is on the label, but who would win a lawsuit against big oil?

My guess would be,.....NOT a farmer!

I have 9 autos and I go 15k or so. Engines are better and so are oils than years ago. I have never had a problem. Fact the autos has a change oil light that comes on about that time so even the manufacturers know this
The manufacturers also know most people will opt to buy another vehicle rather than pay thou$and$ for a new engine.

I put 1/4 million miles on an older ('84) Jeep Cherokee, changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles and it still ran good when I finally sold it.

I go 5,000 on the gas rig and 10,000 on the diesel. The change engine oil light comes on at around 10,000 on the diesel so guess that's right. The wifes car gets changed when the light comes on too. Definitely wouldn't go 20,000 but wouldn't doubt it'd be fine either. Allot has changed since the 60's when 3,000 was recommended.

I put it in a couple vehicles, but 20k miles sounds like way too many miles between changes.

ni2CN1d.jpg
I've always had a job off the farm... and most of those jobs were in a parts department somewhere. Three dealerships, and Napa and O'Reilly's. Lots of experience with seeing the results from changing oil... or not.

And oddly enough, a lot of the people that change oil more than recommended also have the vehicles that break and wear out. I know that sounds weird... but bear with me. If someone takes a vehicle in to a dealership or a mechanic for oil changes, the people making money from doing work on vehicles are NOT making money changing oil. They are looking for anything else they can upsell. I've seen more than one mechanic find a ($0.50) thermostat gasket that "might" be leaking, and they sell the customer on an intake gasket set "since we're going to be in there anyway". And then they replace the radiator, the hoses, the belts, and flush the radiator, etc. etc. etc. to the tune of $4,500/6,000. AND... the more work they do on the vehicle, the more likely it is to need work.

Of course there are also people that can't drive a car without breaking stuff... and others that can drive a car and it always runs fine.

In my early parts selling years we would sell remanufactured engines and require a core, and people would bring in engines that ran fine, "but were getting a little tired"... and we would take those same engines and put them in a circle track car and beat the crap out of them and they won races. It was easy to see which people used Pennzoil or Quaker State because those oils had paraffin in them and the engines were chock full of gunk. The Valvoline and other oils left very little deposits. But regardless... the engines all ran the same and had similar wear, and they ran just as good in a track car.

I've seen cars with forty thousand miles on them and no oil changes or added oil, the gunk so bad that when the drain plug was removed nothing would drip out of the pan, and the car running fine. I've also seen them running fine one day... and not the next. I bought a Chevy truck like that, making lifter noise because the lifters were gunked so bad that they were collapsed... and I put a quart of transmission fluid in and changed the oil every 500 miles until the noise disappeared. I put 24K miles on that truck and sold it two years later running fine for twice what I paid for it.

So if you want a recommendation... change your oil at recommended intervals. Do it yourself. Don't worry if you go over the recommended miles by thousands, but do change your oil and filter. Brand of oil? Whatever is cheap. Synthetics? Only if you don't have any leaks and only if the manufacturer recommends them. Never to break in an engine unless recommended by the manufacturer. I do buy better quality filters.

Over the years I've pulled oil samples and sent them off to the lab and got the results back in various engines at various mileage/hours. Modern gas car or diesel with good oil 7-10k miles is a-ok. Went 12k miles in the wife's car and sent a sample in, results said it would have been fine to keep running it... but for piece of mind I wouldn't do that frequently.

Newer diesel equipment I run out to 400-600 hours between changes. Older "dirty" diesels it's usually in the 100-200 hour range.

My trucks wouldn't have any oil left at 20k.
LOL, Every time I had one like that it would last longer than the ones that didn't use oil as long as I added oil when needed. I had an old 88 Honda Accord you checked the gas, filled it up with oil and I put 60k on it like that.

Newer vehicles I go by the computer, the oil life remaining screen. ...fyi - For extended oil change intervals you need the synthetic filter as well as the full synthetic oil.

LOL, Every time I had one like that it would last longer than the ones that didn't use oil as long as I added oil when needed. I had an old 88 Honda Accord you checked the gas, filled it up with oil and I put 60k on it like that.
The old F150 uses about 2 qts in 3000 miles. The older 7.3 leaks more than it uses probably, so I do what you described. Check it and top it off. Way cheaper than a payment and easier to deal with than someone else's problem. I don't put 20k miles a year on between them so it isn't a big deal.

My wife's o work car, she'd say my cars smoking its out of oil.. kidding I would say .wait till it quits smoking, then it's out..

Latest posts