Trouble for Oregon. Some don't know how to pump their own gasoline

Help Support CattleToday:

Been to the one in Temple and they had the least expensive fuel of anyone on 35. Used the restroom and looked around a bit, but that was about it. Impressive store, but it came with prices I didn't want to pay.

I felt lost in the one I stopped at. Wanted to,get some lunch and had to ask someone how to order. Went to a touch screen out in the store and ordered it just exactly how I wanted it. The machine gave me a number and a few minutes later the speaker in the store called it out. I had looked around while it was being fixed. A little Expensive but very good food.

Well it isn't all over the place in Oregon yet. The wife and I just ran down to The Dalles (closest town of size) to get a prescription for BIL who had some health issues over night. Gas in the car was getting lower and gas is cheaper in Oregon so I pulled into a station. There was a guy there to fill it up for me.

callmefence":3nt6igvh said:
greybeard":3nt6igvh said:
a858bcc80d223ff8f40afc655b2fb572--awkward-pictures-fail-pictures.jpg

cb4WrNi.png

PDXMomProbs-GasPump.png

It ain't rocket surgery. Back in the 50s and 60s, young teenagers were hired to pump people's gas at real 'full service' stations.

Maybe that first lady is used to driving a flatbed.....not everyone will get that. :hat:
Exactly what ran through my mind.

I moved to Oregon 25 years ago and it took me a little while to get use to the fact that I was not allowed to pump my own gas. I had it taken out of my hands with a stern warning a few times, and I would sometimes grumble about waiting while the attendant filled other cars. I have never understood it, and I would have never believed it would still be the law today, but I have grown to like it. It is pretty nice to sit in your dry comfortable car while someone else stands out in the freezing rain or baking sun and fills you up. I don't really mind the extra few minutes I sometimes wait anymore, but I am retired now, so I have more time. We now joke about what a burden it is to get out of the car whenever we travel into another state.

Katpau":242ru0go said:
I moved to Oregon 25 years ago and it took me a little while to get use to the fact that I was not allowed to pump my own gas. I had it taken out of my hands with a stern warning a few times, and I would sometimes grumble about waiting while the attendant filled other cars. I have never understood it, and I would have never believed it would still be the law today, but I have grown to like it. It is pretty nice to sit in your dry comfortable car while someone else stands out in the freezing rain or baking sun and fills you up. I don't really mind the extra few minutes I sometimes wait anymore, but I am retired now, so I have more time. We now joke about what a burden it is to get out of the car whenever we travel into another state.

The trouble was places like Burns. Not enough traffic to pay for an attendant outside main hours. But if you are going east out of there it is 150-190 miles to the next gas. Going west it is 120 miles to the next gas. Now a person will be able to use a card and fill up in the night. I think it is only in towns with a low population (less then 10,000 people?) that will allow self service. That is pretty much all of far eastern and southeast Oregon.

Latest posts