Trouble for Oregon. Some don't know how to pump their own gasoline

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":38mjj8qt said:
dun":38mjj8qt said:
Bright Raven":38mjj8qt said:
Apologize, but you may not remember. When I was very young, dad got his gas at an old country store. You pumped a lever on the side of the "pump". It charged the reservoir on top the "pump". It was glass and graduated in gallons. Then, you used the nozzle to gravity feed the gas into your car. Thus, the term 'pump your gas'.
The ones I used had dollar values on the glass top not gallons.

I never seen one like that.
They were in a small town that refused to use pennies. The only business was 2 gas stations across from each other. One of which was also a liquor store and the other a general convenience store. Penny candy cost a nickle, but you got 5 pieces.

Bright Raven":3r2xtmtp said:
D2Cat":3r2xtmtp said:
So is turning the key in the ignition pumping the engine?

Cat. When they came out with key start, the old guys still called it "crank it up".
But the starter was doing the cranking

dun":11qntawy said:
Bright Raven":11qntawy said:
D2Cat":11qntawy said:
So is turning the key in the ignition pumping the engine?

Cat. When they came out with key start, the old guys still called it "crank it up".
But the starter was doing the cranking

Yes. These old guys went back to the time when you used a "crank" at the front to trun the engine over.

BTW: that is a funny term - " turn the engine over".

Also, the old guys in my area did not say car - they said "machine".

Bright Raven":2x3n90ae said:
dun":2x3n90ae said:
Bright Raven":2x3n90ae said:
Apologize, but you may not remember. When I was very young, dad got his gas at an old country store. You pumped a lever on the side of the "pump". It charged the reservoir on top the "pump". It was glass and graduated in gallons. Then, you used the nozzle to gravity feed the gas into your car. Thus, the term 'pump your gas'.

The graduated gallons was in the glass tank, the price was a placard on top the tank.

Ky hills":3tcrl33a said:
My mother would take up for them, she is 89 and has never pumped her own gas and refuses to.
She went to a full service station as long as we had one in town, now I have to go fill her car up.
Same situation here. Father in law passed away last year and we had to take mother in law to station and teach her to pump gas . She's 86.......all those years and he simply refused to let her.....til the day he had to quit driving, he still walked around to her side of the car and opened the door for her.

Caustic Burno":2agzmrlq said:
Bright Raven":2agzmrlq said:
dun":2agzmrlq said:

The graduated gallons was in the glass tank, the price was a placard on top the tank.
Not at those joints. Lines painted on the glass top with dollar values, only even dollars, no change or partial even though gas was only 15 cents a gallon. It was only that high becuase it could be. Only places to get gas for miles.

I am thinking it will speed things up for me when I travel down there. Most of my driving down there is on I-84. I pull into a truck stop off the freeway for gas. Five islands and only two attendants. And you are not allowed to get your own gas. So you stand there and wait for the guy to get to you. He puts the nozzle in and heads off to help someone else. it clicks off but you have to wait for him to come back. Self service and I would be done and gone a couple minutes earlier.
The counties in Eastern Oregon really wanted this change in the law. The snowflakes over in Portland and on the west side of the state still have to wait for someone to pump their gas for them.

Dave":1utxzalh said:
I am thinking it will speed things up for me when I travel down there. Most of my driving down there is on I-84. I pull into a truck stop off the freeway for gas. Five islands and only two attendants. And you are not allowed to get your own gas. So you stand there and wait for the guy to get to you. He puts the nozzle in and heads off to help someone else. it clicks off but you have to wait for him to come back. Self service and I would be done and gone a couple minutes earlier.
The counties in Eastern Oregon really wanted this change in the law. The snowflakes over in Portland and on the west side of the state still have to wait for someone to pump their gas for them.

If I remember correctly self serve started here in the early 70's.

D2Cat":jd62tax6 said:
slick4591":jd62tax6 said:

I've done that once, at least. But I put gas in the diesel tank.
Ran the neighbors snowmobile all day on diesel once! It was pretty tough to pull start though!

I stopped at a few Buc-ee's in TX this fall where there were as many as 30-40 cars and trucks filling up at once. Sure would have had the attendants busy if it was like that there.

Caustic Burno":1dqdu3u2 said:
Bright Raven":1dqdu3u2 said:
dun":1dqdu3u2 said:

This shows the graduated scale of gallons. Totally charged, it contained 10 gallons.
mwxfr4.jpg

kenny thomas":33sce99m said:
I stopped at a few Buc-ee's in TX this fall where there were as many as 30-40 cars and trucks filling up at once. Sure would have had the attendants busy if it was like that there.

They do a land office business.
Never seen one that wasn't packed.

Caustic Burno":22ey5b9q said:
kenny thomas":22ey5b9q said:

For anyone not familiar with Buc-ee's Google them. They are famous for their restrooms.

kenny thomas":2om1i7s0 said:
Caustic Burno":2om1i7s0 said:
kenny thomas":2om1i7s0 said:

For anyone not familiar with Buc-ee's Google them. They are famous for their restrooms.
wow quite a gas station!

kenny thomas":3pgr7v7k said:
Caustic Burno":3pgr7v7k said:
kenny thomas":3pgr7v7k said:

and their high prices on everything in-store...Stuckeys on steroids.