Trouble for Oregon. Some don't know how to pump their own gasoline

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... e-gas-law/

"I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian . . . I say NO THANKS! I don't like to smell like gasoline!" one woman wrote.

"No! Disabled, seniors, people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe. This is a very bad idea. Grrr," another woman wrote.

"I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This [is] a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas."

'qualified people'?
Are you kiddin me?

Let me guess..............can't bag their own groceries either......

Poor entitled little babies.......

:bang: :bang: :bang:

:shock: :shock: How do they not know how to pump gas? :???:

a858bcc80d223ff8f40afc655b2fb572--awkward-pictures-fail-pictures.jpg

cb4WrNi.png

PDXMomProbs-GasPump.png

It ain't rocket surgery. Back in the 50s and 60s, young teenagers were hired to pump people's gas at real 'full service' stations.

My mother would take up for them, she is 89 and has never pumped her own gas and refuses to.
She went to a full service station as long as we had one in town, now I have to go fill her car up.

"What's next? Taking my own shopping cart back to the cart coral? Cleaning after my dog? Using one parking spot?"

greybeard":2879jnj1 said:
"What's next? Taking my own shopping cart back to the cart coral? Cleaning after my dog? Using one parking spot?"
Don't take your dog with you and you won't have to worry about the second one!

So in Oregon all the gas stations have someone there to pump your gas?

ez14.":jd21h0hw said:
Until now, yes, and in most of Oregon, it's still that way. The law change only affects certain rural areas.

greybeard":2tqj4axj said:
ez14.":2tqj4axj said:
Until now, yes, and in most of Oregon, it's still that way. The law change only affects certain rural areas.
Ok (I was honestly confused) so there was a law against people pumping their own gas?

Yes.
The Oregon state legislature didn't think most Oregonians were smart enough to do it on their own but now think those in the rural areas just might be. Not willing to chance burning down Portland, Salem or Eugene yet.

Ky hills":38f0qfxh said:
My mother would take up for them, she is 89 and has never pumped her own gas and refuses to.
She went to a full service station as long as we had one in town, now I have to go fill her car up.

My grandmother was the same way. After full service my grandfather would fill her car. By the time he was not able to all the credit card stuff had started and it was too complicated so one of us would go by and take it to town and fill it up. She never went more than a couple miles in one day.

I was at a gas station one time getting fuel and a lady pulled up on the other side of the pump. She was trying to press the button for service and ask the attendant for help... of course they were no use. I looked around the side and asked her if she needed some thing. She told me her husband had just passed and she had never pumped gas before. I tried my best to walk her thru it... Not just do it for her. The lady was maybe 60 at the max, at the time.

Hep, you weren't allowed to pump your own gas. I live in Washington and haven't seen a full service station in years. Right now I am 10 miles from Oregon. Drive across the river and I would have to stand there and wait until someone pumped it for me. The funny thing is although you couldn't pump your own gas, you could pump your own diesel. As far as I know this law change only effects the rural areas in Eastern Oregon so they don't have to have an attendant 24/7 in the low traffic areas.

Dave":30fc4680 said:
Hep, you weren't allowed to pump your own gas. I live in Washington and haven't seen a full service station in years. Right now I am 10 miles from Oregon. Drive across the river and I would have to stand there and wait until someone pumped it for me. The funny thing is although you couldn't pump your own gas, you could pump your own diesel. As far as I know this law change only effects the rural areas in Eastern Oregon so they don't have to have an attendant 24/7 in the low traffic areas.
Well, let us know when you start seeing the big fireballs in the sky to the South Dave.

You don't have to "pump" it.
Just hold the lever down and the gas comes out automatically. :nod:

Next I guess they will want to call turning on the water faucet at the kitchen sink "pumping "water. :roll:

Ryder":1momjdrl said:

Next I guess they will want to call turning on the water faucet at the kitchen sink "pumping "water. :roll:

Apologize, but you may not remember. When I was very young, dad got his gas at an old country store. You pumped a lever on the side of the "pump". It charged the reservoir on top the "pump". It was glass and graduated in gallons. Then, you used the nozzle to gravity feed the gas into your car. Thus, the term 'pump your gas'.

Bright Raven":38mm1i05 said:
Ryder":38mm1i05 said:

Apologize, but you may not remember. When I was very young, dad got his gas at an old country store. You pumped a lever on the side of the "pump". It charged the reservoir on top the "pump". It was glass and graduated in gallons. Then, you used the nozzle to gravity feed the gas into your car. Thus, the term 'pump your gas'.
The ones I used had dollar values on the glass top not gallons.

dun":2a4bqov6 said:
Bright Raven":2a4bqov6 said:
Ryder":2a4bqov6 said:

The ones I used had dollar values on the glass top not gallons.

I never seen one like that.