trimming hooves POLL

Help Support CattleToday:

Trimming feet

• 1 We own a hoof trimming chute and trim them regularly.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 2 We have a trimmer out to do them

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 3 We only trim right before we sell them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 We never trim if they need it they hit the road

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • 5 We trim the odd one if it becomes a serious problem for them

Votes: 22 36.1%

• Total voters
alacattleman":3aoalis0 said:
wait,,hang on now you acting like i give a dam what you think :lol:

No I don't really think you care about what I think. After all you don't even care if you have defective cattle. Breed those genetic defects all you want.

stockman12":1htg5f0r said:
alacattleman":1htg5f0r said:

No I don't really think you care about what I think. After all you don't even care if you have defective cattle. Breed those genetic defects all you want.[/quote] attaboy now your talking ,, if you knew the real story are read my first post you would know better :cowboy:

I read your first post. It still doesn;t make any difference. If you have a calf that is a heifer and is terminal in your eyes and you sell her you only gave the feet problem to someone else unless you took the heifer clear to the packer. If you clipped the cows feet and took her to the sale you only dumpped her off on another unsuspecting guy.

stockman12":2bl16wpe said:
I read your first post. It still doesn;t make any difference. If you have a calf that is a heifer and is terminal in your eyes and you sell her you only gave the feet problem to someone else unless you took the heifer clear to the packer. If you clipped the cows feet and took her to the sale you only dumpped her off on another unsuspecting guy.
she went too the killer she was 15 years old... your one of those hotshot type that like too jump on here and pretend like you you know it all... well by all means let'er rip
:p

stockman12":20h98nke said:
alacattleman":20h98nke said:

No I don't really think you care about what I think. After all you don't even care if you have defective cattle. Breed those genetic defects all you want.

Since when did every foot problem become "genetic"?? Probably 75% or more are man made and/or environmental. Is your pompious, know it all attitude heriditary or environmental?

Not the case. I just choose to not make excuses for genetic defects. I wouldn't want to pawn them off on an unknowing buyer and the word gets around that he got slipped a genetic defect. Oh sure maybe I might sell a good cow along the way, but if I start making excuses for my cows then that can be a neverending highway of excuses.

You can breed all the defects or excuses you want, it's not for me to say about your cows. I have my own standards for mine.

TexasBred":2p0flot0 said:
stockman12":2p0flot0 said:
alacattleman":2p0flot0 said:

Since when did every foot problem become "genetic"?? Probably 75% or more are man made and/or environmental. Is your pompious, know it all attitude heriditary or environmental?

They might not all be genetic but I ain't going to piddle around trying to figure it out. Cull em all out and the chances of having that genetic problem in your cows is exterminated. I've got better things to do than worry if she is or if she isn't.

Is your pompious, know it all attitude heriditary or environmental?

It is environmental, it comes from dealing with people that will sacrifice the cattle industry and themselves for a few bucks. Keep lowering the bar, it will be easier for you to step over.

They might not all be genetic but I ain't going to piddle around trying to figure it out. Cull em all out and the chances of having that genetic problem in your cows is exterminated. I've got better things to do than worry if she is or if she isn't.

Guess that makes management decisions much easier...more expensive but much easier. Everything is the cow's fault and none of it is management.

TexasBred":3vwsnmn8 said:

Guess that makes management decisions much easier...more expensive but much easier. Everything is the cow's fault and none of it is management.

Just because you or your neighbor might have a management issue on long feet doesn't mean I do

Kinda sounds to me like someone bought a cow with bad feet at the sale barn, and wants to take it out on everyone that raises anything with hooves.

You could be right that someone bought a cow with bad feet at a salebarn. I don't buy cows at a salebarn so it couldn't be me.

Keep lowering the bar, it will be easier for you to step over.

stockman12":2b085cbd said:
You could be right that someone bought a cow with bad feet at a salebarn. I don't buy cows at a salebarn so it couldn't be me.

well let us know when its too low that you bump your head little man :cowboy:

alacattleman":1iromhde said:
stockman12":1iromhde said:

You misread me again, remember I was the one that was trying to raise the bar, you were the one lowering it.

smileywavehat.gif

stockman12":17r15gba said:
alacattleman":17r15gba said:
stockman12":17r15gba said:

You misread me again, remember I was the one that was trying to raise the bar, you were the one lowering it.
:cry2:

stockman12":3iv6i86n said:
TexasBred":3iv6i86n said:

Just because you or your neighbor might have a management issue on long feet doesn't mean I do

For someone that doesn't have a problem with it you sure seem competent in trying to teach everyone about it. I have no cattle with feet problems. Had one over the years....she had one long toe on one back foot......trimmed in the chute.. The long toe was caused by Man...acidosis. Not genetic. :!:

Guess that makes management decisions much easier...more expensive but much easier. Everything is the cow's fault and none of it is management.[/quote]

Just because you or your neighbor might have a management issue on long feet doesn't mean I do[/quote]

For someone that doesn't have a problem with it you sure seem competent in trying to teach everyone about it. I have no cattle with feet problems. Had one over the years....she had one long toe on one back foot......trimmed in the chute.. The long toe was caused by Man...acidosis. Not genetic. :!:[/quote] yeah right,,,, whatever. admit it you got low standards and thats it.. do us all a favor and get out of the cattle business :p
:cowboy:

Hot topic. I've only trimmed hooves on a cow that we bought who foundered back in her show days. Otherwise they either break off in the summer or the cow gets shipped.

Good post for the dairy guys to argue on... :lol:

Seriously, if I shipped everything that had gone lame this year I'd have maybe a quarter of my herd left. No bulls.

This be what I do with sore feet: http://cowcalfandvet.wordpress.com/2009 ... -trimming/
I've had the vet in a couple of times - but I figured it's not a time saver, because I have to be there anyway so unless it's one I can't fix up or need assistance to handle, I might as well do them myself. We don't do regular trimming - I've heard of dairies in Britain that check and trim every foot, yearly or six monthly.
Guess I ought to have shipped that cow - she's got no ear tags.

Latest posts