trimming hooves POLL

Help Support CattleToday:

Trimming feet

• 1 We own a hoof trimming chute and trim them regularly.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 2 We have a trimmer out to do them

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 3 We only trim right before we sell them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 We never trim if they need it they hit the road

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • 5 We trim the odd one if it becomes a serious problem for them

Votes: 22 36.1%

• Total voters
I forgot to add that please only refer to your beef herd not dairy herd as that is a totally different situation..

We had one cow that as she got to aorund 5-6 the outside of the hoof grew under the sole. We trimmed her so she could walk good then sent her to the kill pen at the sale barn.

i had a simbrah cow that i had to trim her right rear hoof on when i worked her.. i reach through with pruning shears and clip the toe back,, the outer would curl over the inner. and would not wear off on its own,,,, but she raised a great terminal calf

hillsdown":2aoog60w said:
I forgot to add that please only refer to your beef herd not dairy herd as that is a totally different situation..
HD we treated the dairy cows the same way we treat the beef cows.an we would do our own hoof trimming.they only get trimmed when needed.heck weve even lost or hoof nippers. :lol:

I like how tough some of you are with your cattle. "If they need trimming they are gone". Seems like that's all I read when this subject is brought up. Maybe that works for you. I don't ship a cow just because of a simple problem I can fix. Replacements are expensive and needing an extra one because I need to fill a productive cow's slot doesn't make sense if the problem is easily resolved. I don't have many problems with feet on the beef cows and if I do it is often a cracked hoof. I pull out the angle grinder with a hoof trimming disc and trim it down to eliminate the crack. About 90% of the time I never touch that cow again for as long as she is on the place. I guess I just pamper mine too much. I should learn to be a more hard-nosed cowboy like the rest of you.

When I dairied I had a hoof trimmer come every month and trim hoofs, and doctor and wrap the really bad ones. Couldn't cull and replace $2,500 dairy cows like they were fodder. Have only trimmed one beef cow that I can remember and she had one back toe turning up and I nipped it off with hoof nippers.

It's all about numbers novaman. I don't have enough time to mess with them with the herd we are running. If I had 100 cows or less I may trim the occasional hoof to save a cow but if you have one problem that will lead to another and another and another... I will say though there's a difference between injury and just poor feet quality. An injury can be forgiven if the cow is productive or has enough to offer the operation that the benefits of keeping her outweigh the costs of the hassle.

Jake":2323jk5u said:
It's all about numbers novaman. I don't have enough time to mess with them with the herd we are running. If I had 100 cows or less I may trim the occasional hoof to save a cow but if you have one problem that will lead to another and another and another... I will say though there's a difference between injury and just poor feet quality. An injury can be forgiven if the cow is productive or has enough to offer the operation that the benefits of keeping her outweigh the costs of the hassle.
If you don't have enough time to trim a hoof do you have enough time to treat a sick animal or do you just let them die too? Seriously if you can't find a little time to take care of em why not contract a little and make time? Or is this all about running hundreds of head of cattle but make sure you have enough time to go on CT? Give me a break.

novaman":1l6w1e3d said:
If you don't have enough time to trim a hoof do you have enough time to treat a sick animal or do you just let them die too? Seriously if you can't find a little time to take care of em why not contract a little and make time? Or is this all about running hundreds of head of cattle but make sure you have enough time to go on CT? Give me a break.

Give me a break... The basis of profitable cattle ranching is in problem free cattle. Like I said if it's a forgivable INJURY I can make the time for a good cow. A poor foot to me is the same as a bad attitude, bad teats, or a bad calf it's UNACCEPTABLE!!!

AND to add to it the 5-10 minutes a day I may or may not spend on CT has little to pertain to the concepts of this arguement.

At the moment we have 42% of those responding say they trim hooves. Why perpetuate defects?

well im low numbered,,, and my cow weaned a 7 weight calf off every year so it didnt bother me too reach through and make a nip,,, and still wouldnt,,,,,,,,,,now when i get too dam old too stoop down i might be little more out, too cull one like that

alacattleman":3gvnmqbi said:
stockman12":3gvnmqbi said:
At the moment we have 42% of those responding say they trim hooves. Why perpetuate defects?
cause she weaned a calf that pressed down hard on the scales

So did the cow with balloon teats that you only had to milk out two or three times.

You'd think the cow with bad feet was the only cow that could raise a calf.

stockman12":p0ohnvpq said:
alacattleman":p0ohnvpq said:
stockman12":p0ohnvpq said:
cause she weaned a calf that pressed down hard on the scales

So did the cow with balloon teats that you only had to milk out two or three times.

You'd think the cow with bad feet was the only cow that could raise a calf.
wait,,hang on now you acting like i give a dam what you think :lol:

I agree with Jake 100%. If a cow has a bad temperment, bad bag, raises a calf that doesnt meet the standards we set, or has bad feet, she gets shipped. If its a cracked hoof we give her a year or two to prove its not an issue and if she doesnt then she is gone. If a bull gets bad feet, he is shipped and his offspring is bred to our terminal bulls and watched closely. If they dont show signs of bad feet after 3-4 years then they are put back into the herd. We want trouble free cows.

Latest posts