South Poll vs Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading on the Beefmaster and South Poll breeds. I'm looking to introduce genetics that help with heat tolerance and grazing endophyte infected fescue. Any particular experience or preference in achieving these goals? It seems like the South Poll wouldn't be a bad bet but they are practically non existent in my area. The Beefmaster seem more accessible but wasnt sure about the Brahman influence.

Don't know what your cow herd base is but a slick haired, southern bred Victor Domino Polled Hereford bull from a herd developed on fescue pastures for decades will work for heat tolerance and the fescue issues.

mrvictordomino said:
Don't know what your cow herd base is but a slick haired, southern bred Victor Domino Polled Hereford bull from a herd developed on fescue pastures for decades will work for heat tolerance and the fescue issues.

Wonder where a fella could find a critter like that?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
mrvictordomino said:

There might be a few in KY :cowboy:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
mrvictordomino said:

Probably have to get in line!

mrvictordomino said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
mrvictordomino said:

There might be a few in KY :cowboy:

Well if the OP wants to learn more could he PM one of us?

mrvictordomino said:

I primarily have baldies right now with a few angus. I raise my own replacements but sometimes will buy a few here and there.

Certainly some variation within the breeds, but you should consider your end market goals. The beefmaster is more likely to give you more milk and growth, whereas the South Poll is more likely to produce moderate to small framed, low-input, maternally focused offspring. I own neither, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm familiar with both breeds. Certainly great cattle in both breeds, if you choose wisely. I decided to experiment with Senepol across my Angus for more heat tolerance, rather than the two you are considering. However, Mr. Victor Domino does have some nice Herefords, I will attest.

How have the Senepol Angus cross worked out? My goals are low input cattle but also cattle that can do better in my climate, which is hot and humid for about all of the growing season. Our winters are cold but nothing like up north. Our cold spells usually dont last long. I'm getting more into grass finishing but still sale some commercially as well.

NCboy34....I will let you know about the cross in the coming years...first calves due in early March. You should come down and visit considering your goals. I've been doing this for coming on a decade (Deep Grass Graziers). Making progress but still honing the genetics.

Somebody else chime in if they have experience with the SenAngus cross.

Got some senepol, angus and senagus. I have a senagus heifer that I need to preg check now she has come along pretty nice so far. Shes around 17-18 mo old. Got a few senagus steers due to process early dec, so I will no more about carcass and quality then. the steers are filling out pretty good so far. Theres no argument that the senagus do inheret some heat and fly tolerance. The straight senepol heifers ive kept in the past, they just don't seem to be very hardy. They end up going down hill looking like crap and not breeding back. Ive had several senepol cows that didn't cut the mustard either , poor doers. im fairly low input, not a lot of extra handouts. They may have done fine for someone pampering more than me.

I am not sure precisely where you are located ( am on the other side of the Mountains from you) but Teddy Gentry runs about 3,000 head of South Poll's in Fort Payne, AL.
It is funny you brought this up, I was just watching some Greg Judy vids on pasture and came here to see what the Board's thoughts on the South Poll breed.

Latest posts