• I breed to make CASH

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • I breed to Keep up with the jones's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I breed to the current niche

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I breed to help make my association get RICH

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I breed to get as many animals registered as I can no matter the composition.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
WalnutCrest":3bon9jbo said:
Nesikep":3bon9jbo said:
greybeard":3bon9jbo said:
options #3 and #4 are the same thing.
Options #1 and #2 are the same thing.

I picked #1, as I think I will get better returns in the long run with good cows that have long lives and are reliably productive

This.

I agree. Law of averages.

Caustic Burno":3c87shy7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3c87shy7 said:
I chose cash.

I don't really expect to pocket any money from the cattle but they do need to pay their way and cover all the overhead. So far they have done so.

I agree I can find better things to spend money on like bass or bay fishing.
The day I have to pull money out of my savings account to prop up cows there gone.
There is more money in goats here .
You just have to have fence that will hold water and a way to keep the kids from becoming varmit turds.
There must be more money in goats everywhere, slaughter kids here going for $2-2.50 a pound, and getting 3 or 4 kids per doe a year. I've questioned myself more than once about why I'm not strictly messing with goats instead of cattle.

BRYANT":1dio5243 said:
I breed for cash
the right bull on a set of off colored cows or wild sale barn cows ,what others would cull, is where I make the best money.
I know that's not for everyone but it works for me.

:nod:

Sounds like my outfit. I've got some good cows that I'll keep a few heifers a year off of. But the majority or just passing through. And they are the ones that are the most profitable.
I certainly don't have myself fooled into believing I'm going to create the perfect cow. ;-)

callmefence":122w5oji said:
BRYANT":122w5oji said:
I breed for cash
the right bull on a set of off colored cows or wild sale barn cows ,what others would cull, is where I make the best money.
I know that's not for everyone but it works for me.

:nod:

Sounds like my outfit. I've got some good cows that I'll keep a few heifers a year off of. But the majority or just passing through. And they are the ones that are the most profitable.
I certainly don't have myself fooled into believing I'm going to create the perfect cow. ;-)
I have seen some of the pictures you post and when I see them I always think them cows would fit right into my pasture and blend in real good.
I posted the other day some pictures of some of my cows, don't know if you seen them or not, but I posted a pic of a ''passing through cow'' that I have raised 5 calves out of that was just some ones ol cull.

Clodhopper":3drrlwp1 said:
Caustic Burno":3drrlwp1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3drrlwp1 said:
I chose cash.

I don't really expect to pocket any money from the cattle but they do need to pay their way and cover all the overhead. So far they have done so.

The day I have to pull money out of my savings account to prop up cows there gone.
You just have to have fence that will hold water and a way to keep the kids from becoming varmit turds.
There must be more money in goats everywhere, slaughter kids here going for $2-2.50 a pound, and getting 3 or 4 kids per doe a year. I've questioned myself more than once about why I'm not strictly messing with goats instead of cattle.
Self respect and higher fencing costs is why I don't have goats.

Brute 23":39oos3wg said:
I can't tell you how many times I have seen some one sell off a great set of inherited comercial cows to chase the Black Angus dream. :bang: Makes me wish I was as the sale barn that day.

I think this young man did alright selling his commercial cows and buying top of the line Angus genetics.
http://www.friendshipangus.com
The farm is always open to guest, and I'd suggest stopping by if your ever in the vicinity. Good folks and great cattle.

True Grit Farms":2agqabsc said:
Brute 23":2agqabsc said:
I can't tell you how many times I have seen some one sell off a great set of inherited comercial cows to chase the Black Angus dream. :bang: Makes me wish I was as the sale barn that day.

I think this young man did alright selling his commercial cows and buying top of the line Angus genetics.
The farm is always open to guest, and I'd suggest stopping by if your ever in the vicinity. Good folks and great cattle.

Looks like he's doing well..Sold you anything yet?

callmefence":1nn8yp7c said:
True Grit Farms":1nn8yp7c said:
Brute 23":1nn8yp7c said:

Nope I'm to cheap, I get out bid on everything I want. When the bidding goes past 3 calves I'm out.
Pretty cows are nice to look at, but the money's in buying thin pairs at the barn. I see you've figured that out also.

True Grit Farms":3vwdzgvi said:
Brute 23":3vwdzgvi said:

Is that you?

True Grit Farms":s7fq0vt2 said:
callmefence":s7fq0vt2 said:
True Grit Farms":s7fq0vt2 said:

Nope I'm to cheap, I get out bid on everything I want. When the bidding goes past 3 calves I'm out.
Pretty cows are nice to look at, but the money's in buying thin pairs at the barn. I see you've figured that out also.

Thin pairs are good but thin breds are even better. As long as you got the grass.

greybeard":904illh8 said:
Clodhopper":904illh8 said:
Caustic Burno":904illh8 said:
Or dealing with the predators... everything likes to eat a young kid.

greybeard":27tp0chm said:
Clodhopper":27tp0chm said:
Caustic Burno":27tp0chm said:
That's funny, but true. For some reason goat herders don't get much respect.

I believe the proper term is "Goat Farmer" :lol: That use to be a joke when I was younger. We would call each other goat farmers.

Have several friends that run a lot of goats. It's a real PIA. High input costs between fencing and the mortality rates. Way too much for a lazy guy like me.

Brute 23":1s9uos58 said:
I believe the proper term is "Goat Farmer" :lol: That use to be a joke when I was younger. We would call each other goat farmers.

Have several friends that run a lot of goats. It's a real PIA. High input costs between fencing and the mortality rates. Way too much for a lazy guy like me.

I have a friend (well, "friend" is a stretch ... a guy I like a lot and have known for several years but don't see or talk to often) who raises sheep with his cattle.

He told me that it took several years of dying before he got in the sheep business. He doesn't worm or vaccinate, but his flick looks great. He's developed a strain that's fairly impervious to his environmental pressures. The only help he gives them is with two herd dogs.

WalnutCrest":32vp3hql said:
Brute 23":32vp3hql said:

I have a friend (well, "friend" is a stretch ... a guy I like a lot and have known for several years but don't see or talk to often) who raises sheep with his cattle.

He told me that it took several years of dying before he got in the sheep business. He doesn't worm or vaccinate, but his flick looks great. He's developed a strain that's fairly impervious to his environmental pressures. The only help he gives them is with two herd dogs.

That's interesting. Im a big fan of natural selection. :)

Brute 23":3p9jo9t5 said:
True Grit Farms":3p9jo9t5 said:
Brute 23":3p9jo9t5 said:

Is that you?

I'm guessing not. Don't be impressed by fancy websites and shiny cows. There is no correlation between those two and the amount of money in his bank account. Its just as easy to loose money on 5 head as 500.... 100ac or 100,000 ac.

Brute 23":2c8cuvda said:
Brute 23":2c8cuvda said:
True Grit Farms":2c8cuvda said:

Is that you?

I'm guessing not. Don't be impressed by fancy websites and shiny cows. There is no correlation between those two and the amount of money in his bank account. Its just as easy to loose money on 5 head as 500.... 100ac or 100,000 ac.

You could be right, time will tell.

True Grit Farms":24pvenrp said:
Brute 23":24pvenrp said:

Did you see their lot 1 bull sell at the last sale? His look and numbers were a pretty hot topic with a couple of local registered breeders.

J&D Cattle":lbayjzcj said:
True Grit Farms":lbayjzcj said:
Brute 23":lbayjzcj said:

Did you see their lot 1 bull sell at the last sale? His look and numbers were a pretty hot topic with a couple of local registered breeders.

Most likely breed pimps trading dollars.
Happens all the time.
You want to find the true value of a bovine run it through the salebarn.
They are all hamburger at some point.

Latest posts