Red Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know where you live but you could also consider trying out the South Poll Cattle. They are a composite breed that is 25% Senepol(which was bred from Red Poll cattle). They are rising in popularity recently and do well on grass.

Yesterday was our county fair. Our red poll heifer was second to the same heifer that best her a month ago. Judges comments were that he really liked how long and extended she was and that she is super sound just not yet fresh enough. The other heifer was way fatter. Mine isn't exactly skinny. 784 pounds at 11 months. We will just keep growing her, breed her in june, and show in the fall. We are not discouraged. I would rather have mine than the other.

darcelina4 said:
Yesterday was our county fair. Our red poll heifer was second to the same heifer that best her a month ago. Judges comments were that he really liked how long and extended she was and that she is super sound just not yet fresh enough. The other heifer was way fatter. Mine isn't exactly skinny. 784 pounds at 11 months. We will just keep growing her, breed her in june, and show in the fall. We are not discouraged. I would rather have mine than the other.

Seem to being doing good with her. Do you have any pics of the heifer?

I run a small herd of registered red poll more of a beef line than dairy. No udder issues in my cattle. I have some really nice cattle and usually get a high percentage of fancy calves. Best advise I have is if you buy red poll and expect good genetics and want a good return of investment then spend the money and buy the best you can afford heifers are gonna cost you $1500-2000 for high quality and bulls run anywhere from $2500-5000. You will get what you pay for in this breed.

smartin0022 said:
I run a small herd of registered red poll more of a beef line than dairy. No udder issues in my cattle. I have some really nice cattle and usually get a high percentage of fancy calves. Best advise I have is if you buy red poll and expect good genetics and want a good return of investment then spend the money and buy the best you can afford heifers are gonna cost you $1500-2000 for high quality and bulls run anywhere from $2500-5000. You will get what you pay for in this breed.

Any pics of your cattle? What is your stud name. I just had a little calf by m-m hoosier classic, a bull from your side of the pond.

I would also like to hear a little more about the red polls that you have smartin0022. We have the reg bull, that came from a friend who raised them but his age forced him to get out a few years ago. Have a couple of cows that are 1/4 and maybe a couple of 1/2 ones still. I would have to look it up. I like that they are out grazing in the sun when the blacks are in the shade. I am rather tired of the "black is the only color" mentality, and the people who bought out the stockyards here have been getting better prices for the "colored calves" if they are nice. Might want to breed a few again....

farmerjan said:
I would also like to hear a little more about the red polls that you have smartin0022. We have the reg bull, that came from a friend who raised them but his age forced him to get out a few years ago. Have a couple of cows that are 1/4 and maybe a couple of 1/2 ones still. I would have to look it up. I like that they are out grazing in the sun when the blacks are in the shade. I am rather tired of the "black is the only color" mentality, and the people who bought out the stockyards here have been getting better prices for the "colored calves" if they are nice. Might want to breed a few again....
My bull was MF MR 303 a direct son of Carl's 303 Boy. I bought him from Millers Farm in Simpsonville really nice bull was Champion red poll bull at Ky state fair and 2018 Beef Expo Grand Champion. All my cows are daughters of JF Wildcat off of Dolls Red Polls in union KY(very good cattle that will thrive on grass). I dont know how to post pics its said they arent of this domain or something I can send them to someone thru text who knows how to post.

You might have to be a little more "seasoned" to post. I think maybe like 5 or 10 posts before it will let you. I don't have a smart phone or a digital camera so am Sh@t out of luck to post pics.... am in the process of buying a house with internet service that actually works ( different area so different elec co. that is providing it) and might get a digital camera. Got an old 35 mm SLR that uses "FILM".... a digital would make it alot better.... I will have to get the papers from my son on the red poll to tell you the breeding. They are more of the dual type though, not alot of butt. Super disposition though.

I do definitely like the disposition of the reds. I am not colorblind though Angus really have a genetic advantage over all other breeds IMO. They just have better marketing and more data mostly due to shear #'s. I own an Angus bull out of SAV Resource that I used as an outcross and he is an excellent bull. I liked MF 303 better but that's because I raise red polls. I'm raising a bull calf off my 303 bull now to replace him with very clean fronted, deep and long with good feet and he moves the way one should. The worst thing in the red poll breed IMO is the lack of proper data. Once we get more and better data on the cows, calves BW, WW, CE etc, I think Reds will continue to have a place in the beef industry especially into the commercial market for people who desire more docile cattle and better milking replacement heifers. They also have a tenderness gene that is excellent for Farm to Table.

Glad to see some more interest in Red Poll. I have not gotten to purchase any yet, but still interested in the breed and want to get out and see a few. I don't think there are many in Alabama

Cada22 said:
Glad to see some more interest in Red Poll. I have not gotten to purchase any yet, but still interested in the breed and want to get out and see a few. I don't think there are many in Alabama
Check out Phil Wyrick down in Arkansas he has the largest herd in the country as far as I know, his farm is Esquire Cattle Company he has a website. Also there is a Facebook page American red poll public group lots of breeders use it to market red poll cattle and discuss the breed. If there is a breeder in Alabama you can probably find them through the facebook page.

Some nice animals there. I have two animals here from separate American bulls and both have a similar style to your animals. Quite different to our Australian breeding and even more different to British breeding.

I had Red Poll cattle for about 20 years, and the herd I have now has a lot of Red Poll influence. Smartin0022 must be from Kentucky or nearby since the breeding of his cattle is very similar to mine and I know the breeders he refers to.
Loved their disposition, not dead-heads but curious and almost affectionate. They were easy to work with and halter break.
I was hoping my girls would take to showing cattle and i choose them for this reason.
Well, the girls are grown and I got tired of leaving money on the table when I took them to the yards. Used a couple of Charolais on the red polls and kept the buckskin heifers. This added some muscling and growth and kept the good disposition. I now breed them to Angus bulls and get about half shiny blacks and half smokes out of them.
Still have some udder issues pop up that came from the Red Polls, the main one being large tits the new calf won't nurse.

They are good on grass, excellent quality beef, very maternal and fertile. I would term them soft cattle though that thrive best when well cared for. I wish I could find some heifers worth the money. I would probably breed them to a black bull though and get all black calves that top the market and display the hybrid vigor Red Poll crosses are noted for.