Trees fruit/nut

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Some of the trees I bought a couple years ago now are starting to bear fruit.... The pecan trees will have pecans in about 20 years probably.

plum
ResizedImage_1433089103932_zps17123548.jpg

ResizedImage_1433089102256_zps3a0f7850.jpg

pecan trees
ResizedImage_1433089103558_zps96a398c8.jpg

ResizedImage_1433089101722_zps4955825d.jpg

Blueberries
ResizedImage_1433089102676_zpsb449ee74.jpg

JW IN VA":xe7gxs9c said:
If I had planted an orchard when I first wanted to the trees would be very mature.

I am wishing I planted more... What I really wish is that the cherry tree was producing.

torogmc81":xe7gxs9c said:
Do you have the right soil for blueberries Sky? Be interesting to see if they make it.

Seems to be the right soil they have been producing for almost 2 years now and they gain more blueberries each year. I need to plant more bushes but will do so in the fall.

I have pear trees bearing right now, but have never been able to keep the tree rats, coons, and possums out of them. Last year, I saw the pears about ready thought "I'll come back in a few days and get them", and when I went back up there, I found one half gnawed little nub left under the trees and nothing on the branches. Picked clean.

greybeard":38kmotgz said:
I have pear trees bearing right now, but have never been able to keep the tree rats, coons, and possums out of them. Last year, I saw the pears about ready thought "I'll come back in a few days and get them", and when I went back up there, I found one half gnawed little nub left under the trees and nothing on the branches. Picked clean.

Yea, My main issue here on these would be insects. However on my other older trees the bears seem to think the fruit is there's and clean me out quickly.

FourSquareFarm":etuf46hm said:
Looks yummy! Nice work Sky....I hope to put an orchard in this fall.

Thanks my other trees I planted at another place are loaded but those are the ones the bears normally get

Blueberries like acidic soil. I have my two Blueberries in pots (old protein cattle tubs) so I can control the soil easier. They are on their first year producing from planting this Spring. I'm not a big potted plant person, but so far they are doing good.

This plum tree already had a 5 gallon bucket pulled of it. Peach look like their going to be good to. As long as the birds don't peck em to bad.

fenceman":bdduudcm said:

This plum tree already had a 5 gallon bucket pulled of it. Peach look like their going to be good to. As long as the birds don't peck em to bad.
Don't let my wife see that......she was excited we got a soups bowl full of plums off our tree. :?

1982vett":30jsjrx0 said:
fenceman":30jsjrx0 said:

Don't let my wife see that......she was excited we got a soups bowl full of plums off our tree. :?

I wish I could take credit for it . The amazing little tree was planted by my grandfather. I remember when he planted the orchard. He had a wet box of what looked Like dead sticks he had got from a nursery over in Belton. It is the best orchard I've ever been around. I've planted several potted tree's from the big box stores, with disappointing results. The amazing little plum tree is actually on the decline. It's had a hard fight with bores and lost several limbs. It'll be a sad day when it goes. I considering trying to start some replacements from seed. But we have several wild plums on the property. I would think there would be a big chance of any offspring being crosses, and not as productive.idk

Fenceman, planting plum seeds will almost certainly not yield a clone or even a reasonably similar tree. But, if you will Google something like "plum tree propagation" I'm sure you will find many articles that will show you how to propagate plums using the softwood cutting method (also consider the semi-hardwood method). I've had success rooting cuttings from Methley plum trees in years past and I'd almost bet that your grandfather got some Methley cuttings and used that method of propagation. Good luck.

Arnold Ziffle":356vgwel said:
Fenceman, planting plum seeds will almost certainly not yield a clone or even a reasonably similar tree. But, if you will Google something like "plum tree propagation" I'm sure you will find many articles that will show you how to propagate plums using the softwood cutting method (also consider the semi-hardwood method). I've had success rooting cuttings from Methley plum trees in years past and I'd almost bet that your grandfather got some Methley cuttings and used that method of propagation. Good luck.

Hey Arnold! Where you been keeping yourself?

I'd agree. Study up on grafting. Dig up some of those wild plums and get them growing. Then select some cuttings and put them on the wild plum.

Here's what we made last night. Going to do it again tonight. You can't buy jelly like this. Last year when we went on vacation. I packed a jar of my homemade plum jelly. :lol2:

fenceman":1mqd2pr4 said:
Here's what we made last night. Going to do it again tonight. You can't buy jelly like this. Last year when we went on vacation. I packed a jar of my homemade plum jelly. :lol2:

That looks good.

Latest posts