Planting trees using an auger

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have 100 tubestock trees to plant. That's a lot of holes to dig. What are everyone's thoughts on using my post hole auger to make the holes for the trees?

If there's enough soil moisture for 'glazing' of sides of hole, you'd be well-advised to use a spade to score or otherwise break that up, but, yeah, I'd use the auger.
Don't plunge any deeper than needed to get your seedlings in the ground at about the same depth they're growing in the tubes.

You gonna mulch and keep 'em watered? This is a hot, dry time of year to be planting out young stock.
Plenty of rain here right now, but we'd gotten pretty dry...and it could shut off again till late fall, for all you know...

Lucky_P said:
You gonna mulch and keep 'em watered? This is a hot, dry time of year to be planting out young stock.
Plenty of rain here right now, but we'd gotten pretty dry...and it could shut off again till late fall, for all you know...

I think he's from the land down under so this might be his autumn to our early summer.

I like to wait until the driest and hottest part of the year. Work my butt off sweating using a shovel plant than wait a few day come back and weed kill every I just planted on accident. 🤣😎 Gives me something to do when I get caught up on other projects. 🤣😂😅🤬😠👏🏽 Haha

Hi all. Certainly am a proud Australian. Still the best place in earth. I didn't want to lead any answers but yes I was worried about glazing the sides of the holes I have heard if you do that roots can't escape. It's winter here now. After 3 years of drought every man and his dog is planting trees. Replacing dead and new.

How is the Vegemite? :lol2:

Lol thanks for the question, Vegemite is a very important staple here. Vegemite ontoast for breakfast and Vegemite and cheese sandwich for lunch. Lol How is your president Mr Trump. Lol I will stock with the Vegemite. 😎

Add a stiff metal piece to leave the walls marred. Should be easy to add where a bit goes and then take if off when finished. But only go as deep as needed or the trees will settle into the holes.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Lucky_P said:

I think he's from the land down under so this might be his autumn to our early summer.

We are bi polar opposite, so we are in winter, but it is a big land.......it has been damp so far, so drought may have broken...

OzssieDave19 said:
Hey guys. I have 100 tubestock trees to plant. That's a lot of holes to dig. What are everyone's thoughts on using my post hole auger to make the holes for the trees?

Hi Dave, I would, except in my ground, it gets down about 6 inches before you have to bar,.....

I am thinking of a hydraulic one so I can do holes without breaking my current hole digger and using a bar and water over many hours...

I would dig them deep in my ground, like for a post, so the roots can get a good hold, too many just fall over and have roots on top nearly, you can bar the sides too to loosen them, if you have good soft deep topsoil, well, a good post hole spade is easy enough and would not bother with hole digger..

We have planted many trees using a hand auger with an 8 inch bit. Depending on the tree we usually dig three holes in a triangle and then dig it out. We always backfill. All of this loose dirt around the tree will help it get better estabished.

If they are small enough you can use a dribble bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQ1Uuq48ew

I can't see any reason for not using it. It's a good machines that was invented to make our gardening easier. I think you can change some holes after it, if you don't like the result.

One of our neighbors used tractor auger for holes to plant 100 blueberries. It formed a bucket that the roots couldn't get through. After seeking help they pulled the remaining live ones. Last I knew they saved 10.

Always gotta have 'glazing' of walls of holes when augering holes in wet clay soil. If it's happening, you've gotta take the time to rough up the sides with a shovel/spade.

I plant a lot of pecan trees and I dig the holes with a 3 pt auger. As Lucky_P said you need to make sure to score the sides of the hole and make sure you water in the tree well to get all the air pockets out as you fill in the hole around the tree.

Latest posts