skyhightree1":6m8g0ntk said:
Fenceman looks good

I beat the bears and got some

ResizedImage_1434285556405_zps019bad62.jpg

ResizedImage_1434285557024_zps67ea2fb6.jpg

ResizedImage_1434285557454_zps48647b3e.jpg

ResizedImage_1434285557878_zpsc4a936f3.jpg

ResizedImage_1434285555943_zpsd36b3f0d.jpg

Bears ? Man I'm glad we don't have those things around here.
And I worry about birds pecking mine :lol2:

fenceman":1ou7j0lx said:
[Bears ? Man I'm glad we don't have those things around here.
And I worry about birds pecking mine :lol2:

I can send you a few bears if you want :D

cow pollinater":1ou7j0lx said:
If you prune those trees you'll get a lot better fruit.

I will probably do that this year.

Piles got bigger

And another batch tonight
Top hand is starting to grip about the mess
I guess I better call it good with this

You should make a youtube vid of your jam and jelly making--it might go viral and you'd make a fortune off the ads and hits. 8)

(How do you like the glass top oven range? I find mine does not seem to work well on the lower settings--low and simmer)

greybeard":3bpi1ryn said:
You should make a youtube vid of your jam and jelly making--it might go viral and you'd make a fortune off the ads and hits. 8)

I hate the pos. I can't wait till it breaks. Your not supposed to put cast iron on it. How can you cook without cast iron.?
Every chance I get I use cast iron trying to duck it up.
The top hand wanted it and she gets what she wants. She's terrified of fire. Goes and stays at her mother's when we're burning brush. :lol2:

(How do you like the glass top oven range? I find mine does not seem to work well on the lower settings--low and simmer)

Got the quotes all twisted up somehow. I can screw up anything.Except that stove.

I'll second the recommendation on grafting - it ain't rocket science, just simple carpentry.
The fruit trees are easy, easy, easy. Nut trees a bit tougher...but may be worth the effort.

Those pecans, if seedlings, will take 15-20 years to come into bearing (that's been my experience)... but if you graft them over to good named varieties that are proven to produce in your area, you'll cut the time to bearing in half - and nut size/quality will be predictable...with seedlings, it's a crapshoot.

skyhightree1":208u3vur said:
Looks like the bears nor will I get any peaches

ResizedImage_1438087710004_zpsfdee04ae.jpg

ResizedImage_1438087710887_zpsecbb8138.jpg

Same here Sky. My first year getting a crop from my white peach and nectarines and we got a horrible case of brown rot! Every stinking piece of fruit rotted on the branch.... I am super sad.
However, my Asian pear and Maxi pear looks great so far! The Hardi Asian pear tree is 5 years old, and this is the first year it has produced fruit. It looks great, along with the Maxi... First year for the Maxi also. The pears will not be ripe for another month, and I drool each night I walk by the trees and see the yummy fruit hanging...
Oh, and my HoneyCrisp apple tree has ONE Apple on it this year, that tree is just two years old!

it stinks we do have a pear tree but havent checked that one i know we got enough black walnuts to last for years though.

these pears were on the ground beneath the tree I figured they would be nice and ripe... WRONG there hard as a rock.. Any tips on how to get these things to ripen and get soft id like to make jelly out of them or something.

ResizedImage_1441496753956_zps21551f35.jpg

skyhightree1":1g0m22tt said:
these pears were on the ground beneath the tree I figured they would be nice and ripe... WRONG there hard as a rock.. Any tips on how to get these things to ripen and get soft id like to make jelly out of them or something.

ResizedImage_1441496753956_zps21551f35.jpg
Put them in a paper sack all together.

My mom makes a pear preserve, using hard pear chunks. Cooking them softens them up. It is great on a hot buttered biscuit.

Thaks HD I will do that I may try the preserves like that. I may have to use a feed bag cause stores here use plastic. FM usually in previous years they were soft when hit the ground.

skyhightree1":14j62947 said:
Thaks HD I will do that I may try the preserves like that. I may have to use a feed bag cause stores here use plastic. FM usually in previous years they were soft when hit the ground.
Musta had some wind when it rained....... :mrgreen:

Hard pears never really get soft on the tree. Those do look a bit green to me. They should be better when they begin to turn a little more yellow and will get sweeter and jucier. I hate a mushy overripe pear.

I figured that bear of his been shaking his tree again. The little hard green pears grow wild around here, well feral anyway. Grandma used to ripen them in a paper bag and for what it's worth. She would always put a old banana or Apple in with them?

Yea these never get yellow it is a wild tree. :lol2: fm is right the bear had been getting all the lower lying ones not sure how in the he 11 he eats them

Latest posts