Trees fruit/nut

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":mdryi67c said:
Thaks HD I will do that I may try the preserves like that. I may have to use a feed bag cause stores here use plastic. FM usually in previous years they were soft when hit the ground.
I think it has to be paper to get the right combo of breathing and holding the gases.

skyhightree1":3u0lr3a4 said:
these pears were on the ground beneath the tree I figured they would be nice and ripe... WRONG there hard as a rock.. Any tips on how to get these things to ripen and get soft id like to make jelly out of them or something.

ResizedImage_1441496753956_zps21551f35.jpg

Sky, those kinda look like Keifer pears and if so, they never get soft. They are great canning pears because they stay firm. Just because they are hard (crisp) doesn't necessarily make them bad. I have several pear trees and they are all Keifer and they are delicious to eat, crisp like some apples and really juicy.

On the subject of blueberries what do you use to bring the soil into a Ph range where blueberries will grow. My soil is almost neutral (6.5-7.0) and I've tried everything to bring it into the 4.5 to 5.0 range from ammonium sulfate to sulfur and nothing seems to move it. One of the nurseries in my area told me to use epson salts but I haven't tried that yet. I do have 6 blueberry plants in tubs that are thriving. They were planted last spring as bare rooted cultivars and are now over 6' tall. I used molasses to fertilize after the plant root system was established and that seemed to make them take off. I would like to transplant them but I don't think I can until I figure out a way to get the soil to the right Ph.

lavacarancher":jmrm5cmn said:
skyhightree1":jmrm5cmn said:
these pears were on the ground beneath the tree I figured they would be nice and ripe... WRONG there hard as a rock.. Any tips on how to get these things to ripen and get soft id like to make jelly out of them or something.

ResizedImage_1441496753956_zps21551f35.jpg

Sky, those kinda look like Keifer pears and if so, they never get soft. They are great canning pears because they stay firm. Just because they are hard (crisp) doesn't necessarily make them bad. I have several pear trees and they are all Keifer and they are delicious to eat, crisp like some apples and really juicy.

On the subject of blueberries what do you use to bring the soil into a Ph range where blueberries will grow. My soil is almost neutral (6.5-7.0) and I've tried everything to bring it into the 4.5 to 5.0 range from ammonium sulfate to sulfur and nothing seems to move it. One of the nurseries in my area told me to use epson salts but I haven't tried that yet. I do have 6 blueberry plants in tubs that are thriving. They were planted last spring as bare rooted cultivars and are now over 6' tall. I used molasses to fertilize after the plant root system was established and that seemed to make them take off. I would like to transplant them but I don't think I can until I figure out a way to get the soil to the right Ph.

Yes they are good we made preserves with them my son ate them like apples not sure how but he did. I used epson salt pine needles mixed into the soil. I would tell you this leave them in there until you can get soil straight. I need to try more salt and ammonium sulfate to see if mine produce this year im going to start putting it down now. I should have kept mine in the containers.

Sky, see if your local nursery has ag molasses or gardening molasses. Mix about one cup of molasses/gal of water and pour around the plant. Like I said it made mine come alive.

lavacarancher":1awbdtb0 said:
Sky, see if your local nursery has ag molasses or gardening molasses. Mix about one cup of molasses/gal of water and pour around the plant. Like I said it made mine come alive.

I will thanks for the tip :tiphat:

lavacarancher":3olctx9l said:
y.

On the subject of blueberries what do you use to bring the soil into a Ph range where blueberries will grow. My soil is almost neutral (6.5-7.0) and I've tried everything to bring it into the 4.5 to 5.0 range from ammonium sulfate to sulfur and nothing seems to move it. .. I would like to transplant them but I don't think I can until I figure out a way to get the soil to the right Ph.
Don't bother with the old myth of pine needles--they don't have enough acid in them to make any pH difference at all--even when green and fresh off the tree.

Use peat moss on the blueberries. It has a pH of 4.0

Sky, what were two varieties of figs? One had to be brown turkey.

My blueberried died since no peat moss on them ill plant more and see what happens next year. GP I cant remember but will look today.

We had to replant our fruit trees last year. With a couple years of drought, the grasshoppers ate the leaves, then fruit and left the pit on the limb, then stripped the bark......and that was that.

That's a pretty good variety, sky. All any nursery around here ever has is brown turkey and/or celeste and there's nothing wrong with them but I wanted more variety, so last year I mail ordered two black jack figs and two of those Italian honey figs. The honey figs I got are reportedly Sicilian in origin. The black jacks had a few figs on them last year but the top growth froze or otherwise died back over the winter. They're growing back from the roots now. The honey figs had no figs last year but weren't hurt at all by frost this past winter. The honey figs should bear some fruit this year and I'm looking forward to trying some out.

Nice I bought one of each but the honey fig has lil figs on it already. I am not sure what I would do with a ton of figs but I think I can figure it out. What did you do with yours ?

skyhightree1":2jsym1m7 said:
Nice I bought one of each but the honey fig has lil figs on it already. I am not sure what I would do with a ton of figs but I think I can figure it out. What did you do with yours ?
I just eat them fresh off the tree. My mom used to make fig preserves which were very good on toast or biscuits.

Never was a big fig eater but my Mother (and Father) loved them as preserves. As a kid I remember eating fig preserves over hot, fresh biscuits with fresh cream right off the top of the milk crock.

We planted a walnut about 15 years ago.. To date I think we've gotten about 5 walnuts off it..

We planted an oak about 4 years ago, it's making LOADS of acorns already

Most of my other fruit trees with the warm snap we had and they started blooming then we got 12 inches of snow killed them and they had no fruit.. However I will have no shortage of walnuts

IMG_20161002_103958550_zpsw6lwodob.jpg

Latest posts