Watering trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
We have the best pecan crop in 4 years, and have had zero rain for over 60 days. Starting to water the pecan trees now-just a hose putting a spot of water between 2 trees for an hour-but I know tap water is nothing like that from the sky. I swear it has even killed plants, due to the chlorine in it. What to do? Praying for a hurricane that will drag across central Texas….

Hp, Back in 2011 in East Texas, many of the white and red oak trees put on a historic acorn crop. The ground crunched as you drove or even walked along, breaking the acorns. A state biologist later told me it was nature's way of reproduction. Not his exact words, but something along the lines of 'A tree somehow 'knows' it's being stressed and may not survive and like all other living things, makes one last stab at reproduction to try to carry on."

Sure enough, a lot of those old oaks did die, especially the white oaks most noticeably in the spring of 2013. Beginning at the tops. It took several years for some but they eventually did die and I never saw another acorn crop that big.

What kind of pecans do you have?
Do you sell any to the public?

Hp, Back in 2011 in East Texas, many of the white and red oak trees put on a historic acorn crop. The ground crunched as you drove or even walked along, breaking the acorns. A state biologist later told me it was nature's way of reproduction. Not his exact words, but something along the lines of 'A tree somehow 'knows' it's being stressed and may not survive and like all other living things, makes one last stab at reproduction to try to carry on."

Sure enough, a lot of those old oaks did die, especially the white oaks most noticeably in the spring of 2013. Beginning at the tops. It took several years for some but they eventually did die and I never saw another acorn crop that big.

We have 4 trees, all different varieties but definitely not native. We gave away more than we knew what to do with a few years ago, this year should have been an even better year. Had zero last year. Holler at me in November, if we get any, we could meet up in Belton for a drop off

Attachments

• 8F155A2A-B748-4F30-BCF2-7AFBD681F45D.jpeg
    8F155A2A-B748-4F30-BCF2-7AFBD681F45D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
We went without rain for 90+ days last summer with 90deg or better. We used a cistern to water the trees 5 gal per tree every couple days. The trees made it but very little fruit. Not much better this year. The garden didn't make it, any of it.

We lived in Tyler during the 2011 drought-we were cutting up 100 year old oaks in 2012 and 2013 after they fell. Devastating loss then too

Holler at me in November, if we get any, we could meet up in Belton for a drop off
Will do!! I've been to Tyler and Whitehouse Tx many times in my life. Brick roads. Always had relatives there until 2019 when the last ones moved away and went to live in Canton Tx for some strange reason.

As a boy in the mid-late 20s, my father had a newspaper route (bicycle) in Tyler. Said most of it was red clay roads that turned to sticky yuck when it rained.

We have used 5 gallon buckets with tiny holes drilled in the side next to the bottom with well water. I used the smallest bit in a cheap Harbor Freight set, not sure what size, but tiny. Filled them once or twice a day from a tote on a trailer. That kept little trees alive during a drought for me.

Not his exact words, but something along the lines of 'A tree somehow 'knows' it's being stressed and may not survive and like all other living things, makes one last stab at reproduction to try to carry on.

I have noticed that in extremely dry years that I will see tons of aspen suckers coming up way out in the hayfields. Same theory here as to why.

This is how heavily our trees are loaded. Getting a little rain today thankfully

Attachments

• B603201A-90BE-42FB-868A-3A41E96D66EC.jpeg
    B603201A-90BE-42FB-868A-3A41E96D66EC.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 1BF0861E-EEC4-444F-AFF2-8432577896E9.jpeg
    1BF0861E-EEC4-444F-AFF2-8432577896E9.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 8
  • 3484D671-7AB3-4B7B-9467-AF3F59F96E85.jpeg
    3484D671-7AB3-4B7B-9467-AF3F59F96E85.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts