Treating maggots on summer calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have four young calves from heifers with impaired tongues. The wife used dog shampoo on the first one. :idea: Then I caught the other three since they were getting raw around the tail head - - injected wormer and dusted them with poultry powder.

Is there a better treatment?

Where the infection is. If on outside soap and water. In a wound medication for wound after using either or to remove maggiots.

Guarantee they have scours and the flies have laid eggs ,thus the look of "maggots" . :!:

Clean their bottoms with peroxide and TREAT for scours . Check the dams to make sure they have milk and give the calves an anti inflammatory for their swollen tongues.

I thought the calves were not cleaned by their mothers and the flies were breeding in some left over birthing fluids. I am right on at least one of the calves. He had maggots all along his back bone and ended up being a shampoo bottle calf. Went to the fair petting zoo last week, so it turned out OK for him.

One of the others is pretty thin and slow -- I thought she was not getting much milk and it has been hot... Should have picked up on possible scours but we vaccinate (in early spring) and did not problems with the early calves. Does it seems odd to have scours on pasture in July???

Stocker Steve":37pqgrob said:
Does it seems odd to have scours on pasture in July???
If you've had a lot of rain doesn;t seem odd at all. That's when our worst scour problem happened last year

dun":14hprzvc said:
Stocker Steve":14hprzvc said:
Does it seems odd to have scours on pasture in July???
If you've had a lot of rain doesn;t seem odd at all. That's when our worst scour problem happened last year

I think you nailed it. We were very wet last fall and have been averaging over an inch a week this summer. Now the vaccine effect is down and it is hot and the flies are bad - - cows are busy making mud holes.

Latest posts