Transporting cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018 said:
From what DOT told me you conducting interstate commerce is the key point, he said same truck hauling a horse for trail riding or a RV didn't need a DOT number.

Think of it this way, is there money changing hands? I am not sure if gifts between family members would count. But, based on what I learned this weekend if you are crossing State Lines and are over 10,000 lbs, you may need a DOT number.

JMJ Farms said:
tom4018 said:
JMJ Farms said:
I'm fixing to transport 21 head from Florida to Georgia. I've got the Trich tests and health certificates but no DOT number. Hope this doesn't cause an issue. It shouldn't since they are "MY" cattle that I'm transporting. Guess we will find out soon enough.
From what DOT told me you conducting interstate commerce is the key point, he said same truck hauling a horse for trail riding or a RV didn't need a DOT number.
So if you're buying a herd of cows, and moving them across state lines to your farm, not resell, is that interstate commerce?
According to them yes. Even if you just had pasture across the state line and were hauling them there for the summer. No change of ownership even.

So is farm equipment considered a ag product? I regularly haul my tractor and roller at the same time and cross over state lines. Iam sure together they are way over 10000 lbs.

pricefarm said:
So is farm equipment considered a ag product? I regularly haul my tractor and roller at the same time and cross over state lines. Iam sure together they are way over 10000 lbs.
Yes, but the VA DOT officer from Glade Springs said he hauled his tractor to TN without one.

pricefarm said:

Kenny may correct me on this, but it was my understanding that it does not depend on the product, but the weight. If your total weight is over 10k, you are supposed to have a DOT number and name on the vehicle.

sstterry said:
pricefarm said:

Kenny may correct me on this, but it was my understanding that it does not depend on the product, but the weight. If your total weight is over 10k, you are supposed to have a DOT number and name on the vehicle.

A couple years ago DOT told me what matter was the weight rating on the truck. So a 3/4 ton with a rating under 10,000 the DOT number would not be required but would with a 1 ton. Was also told the driver needed a medical card and all the required safety equipment. Kenny may have more up to date info.

Tom, KY had more restricted rules in state than the others. But then it seemed KY had an F tag that almost let you by with anything. And our trailers have to have a license plate and KY didn't until I think he said 48,000 lb.

kenny thomas said:
Tom, KY had more restricted rules in state than the others. But then it seemed KY had an F tag that almost let you by with anything. And our trailers have to have a license plate and KY didn't until I think he said 48,000 lb.
They also said the mileage rule applied even in state. Our trailers are not licensed or registered.

basically any for profit operation needs dot if over 26k...whether racing or cows or a big rv ....no signage and tell them is not for profit only a hobby will get you by most of the time

dieselbeef said:
basically any for profit operation needs dot if over 26k...whether racing or cows or a big rv ....no signage and tell them is not for profit only a hobby will get you by most of the time

I think there is an exemption if you are traveling to and from shows. It seems I read that somewhere.

I have spent the past hour or so researching this and this is what I have found.

As defined in 49 CFR 390.5, a "covered farm vehicle" (CFV):

Travels in the State in which the vehicle is registered or in another State,
Is operated by an owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or by a family member or employee of the owner or operator
Transports agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch
Has a license plate or some other means specified by the State that identifies it as a farm vehicle
Is not used in for-hire motor carrier operations (but for-hire operations do not include use of a vehicle owned and operated by a tenant farmer to transport the landlord's portion of the crops under a crop-share agreement)
[From § 390.39] Is not transporting hazardous materials that require placarding, and either of the following:
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of 26,001 or less, in which case the CFV exemptions in § 390.39 apply anywhere in the United States
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of more than 26,001 pounds and travels within the State where it is registered or, if traveling out of the State where it is registered, stays within a 150 air miles of the owner or operator's farm or ranch

It should be noted that, based on my review, that even if you are a CFV your are not exempted from the DOT number requirement if your gross weight is 10,001 lbs or greater that operates across state lines (interstate),this varies from state to state.You are exempted, as a CFV from the CDL, Medical Card and ELD requirements and several others like the mandatory 30 minute break if you have livestock or live bees on board.

I know very little about this... so take it for what it is worth.

sstterry said:
I have spent the past hour or so researching this and this is what I have found.

As defined in 49 CFR 390.5, a "covered farm vehicle" (CFV):

Travels in the State in which the vehicle is registered or in another State,
Is operated by an owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or by a family member or employee of the owner or operator
Transports agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch
Has a license plate or some other means specified by the State that identifies it as a farm vehicle
Is not used in for-hire motor carrier operations (but for-hire operations do not include use of a vehicle owned and operated by a tenant farmer to transport the landlord's portion of the crops under a crop-share agreement)
[From § 390.39] Is not transporting hazardous materials that require placarding, and either of the following:
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of 26,001 or less, in which case the CFV exemptions in § 390.39 apply anywhere in the United States
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of more than 26,001 pounds and travels within the State where it is registered or, if traveling out of the State where it is registered, stays within a 150 air miles of the owner or operator's farm or ranch

It should be noted that, based on my review, that even if you are a CFV your are not exempted from the DOT number requirement if your gross weight is 10,001 lbs or greater that operates across state lines (interstate),this varies from state to state.You are exempted, as a CFV from the CDL, Medical Card and ELD requirements and several others like the mandatory 30 minute break if you have livestock or live bees on board.

I know very little about this... so take it for what it is worth.
You are correct.

Latest posts