Cattle trailer floor

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan

Reaction score
Seems to me I recently read something about replacing the floor in a cattle trailer with a "poly" wood or something. We are going to have to replace the floor in our trailer and wanted to look into other options than wood. It is an older steel trailer but we like it and with new prices, don't think going with a new trailer is in the budget anytime soon. Can anyone direct me to that thread?

The problem we have with older steel trailers is the steel trailer rusting out. A good pressure treated replacement floor will outlast the rusting steel trailer. They use so much salt on the roads in the winter around here.

this is the one I remember reading

I have been thinking of just bolting 3/16" diamond plate to the wood floor then welding some rebar across every 12" for traction . My steel trailer is our pasture beater. It goes where we don't want to take the aluminium ones.

SBMF, I wouldn't spend my money on the higher cost diamond plate. The diamonds just don't stick up high enough to do much good. Welding the bar will work but it sure is adding a lot of weight to the trailer and trap a lot of moisture and manure. It will be a rust bucket before you know it.

Seems to me I recently read something about replacing the floor in a cattle trailer with a "poly" wood or something. We are going to have to replace the floor in our trailer and wanted to look into other options than wood. It is an older steel trailer but we like it and with new prices, don't think going with a new trailer is in the budget anytime soon. Can anyone direct me to that thread?
Several trailer floor replacements were under the thread "Todays project"

Thank you everyone. The Rumber flooring in the "today's project" is what I was looking for. Since @kenny thomas said it is used in some of the new trailers he delivers I am even more interested in it. 2 years average life of wood floors is just not enough with the cost of lumber now.

Some pressure treated lumber is rated for ground contact (constantly moist). 2" boards are not. Covering 2x8 pt boards with plywood, steel plate, rubber mats and such that trap moisture is not what you want to do in a trailer.

The rumber flooring is available with a raised patterned surface. It is not slick like trexx decking for a house.

I would just pressure treated wood...and then apply old conveyor belting rubber on top.... with perimeter flooring nails on the rubber belting edges only, gravity floating rubber center. That poly board is strong and tough...but if it's a smooth surface it'll be slippery as hell.
Just an FYI, there's nothing slicker than old conveyor belt after its wet. I have it in mine and frankly don't care for it because of that. The Rumber is specifically made to have good grip for livestock.

SBMF, I wouldn't spend my money on the higher cost diamond plate. The diamonds just don't stick up high enough to do much good. Welding the bar will work but it sure is adding a lot of weight to the trailer and trap a lot of moisture and manure. It will be a rust bucket before you know it.
It already is. It has been beat a lot. Rusted through the front at the bottom. The back door has been straightened at least 3 times that I can remember.
The floor is solid, but slick. I have 2x4's screwed to the floor for cleats.

Thank you everyone. The Rumber flooring in the "today's project" is what I was looking for. Since @kenny thomas said it is used in some of the new trailers he delivers I am even more interested in it. 2 years average life of wood floors is just not enough with the cost of lumber now.
I had it installed in my trailer a couple of years ago. They called it lifetime flooring. No regrets at all.

The only thing I see wrong with the raised patterned surface is that it would make it a pain to shovel out. One thing about cows is they don't seem to have to sh*t until they are in the trailer.
I've won $5 a couple times on the old mare. Put the lead rope over her back slap her on the butt as she walks into the trailer "I've got $5 says she poops in 2 minutes or less" half the time she didn't wait long enough for someone to take the bet!😂😂😂🤷‍♂️

The problem we have with older steel trailers is the steel trailer rusting out. A good pressure treated replacement floor will outlast the rusting steel trailer. They use so much salt on the roads in the winter around here.
Wash the trailer after each use and spray it down with diesel.
Last a long time.
74' Model getting its second floor last year.

Attachments

• 65FAF040-6368-4E45-9645-7BCB596C7439.jpeg
    65FAF040-6368-4E45-9645-7BCB596C7439.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 09EFADE6-7D8E-41E3-ABB8-5CAA25624240.jpeg
    09EFADE6-7D8E-41E3-ABB8-5CAA25624240.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24

Latest posts