Transporting cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
We have had discussions before about transporting cattle across state lines. At the Cumberland Cattle Conference today we had State Police DOT officers from VA and KY and a Federal DOT person also.
A few things we learned was that any and all trucks and trailers with a combined weight of 10,000 lb or more need a Federal DOT number and a name on the truck if you are hauling cattle or any other ag product across any state line.
It doesn't matter even if the trailer is empty if the combined weight is 10,000 or more.
A health certificate is needed when crossing any state line also unless:
1- the cattle are going to an approved slaughter facility
2- the cattle are going to a livestock market or buying station.
Some states require more such as a trich test on breeding age cattle.
In state rules seem to be different with each state but new rules seem to be coming also. Especially with the health certificate.

What is a "covered farm vehicle" (CFV)?
PreviousNext
As defined in 49 CFR 390.5, a "covered farm vehicle" (CFV):

Travels in the State in which the vehicle is registered or in another State,
Is operated by an owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or by a family member or employee of the owner or operator
Transports agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch
Has a license plate or some other means specified by the State that identifies it as a farm vehicle
Is not used in for-hire motor carrier operations (but for-hire operations do not include use of a vehicle owned and operated by a tenant farmer to transport the landlord's portion of the crops under a crop-share agreement)
[From § 390.39] Is not transporting hazardous materials that require placarding, and either of the following:
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of 26,001 or less, in which case the CFV exemptions in § 390.39 apply anywhere in the United States
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of more than 26,001 pounds and travels within the State where it is registered or, if traveling out of the State where it is registered, stays within a 150 air miles of the owner or operator's farm or ranch. This is the most current reg that I can find, from 2014, so your information may be correct.This is from the fmcsa site.

If a person has farms in other states transporting cattle between them could be a problem it sounds like.

These are under 10k. We might see people going back to transporting cattle this way as not to many years ago that was the norm, until people started getting the goose-necks.

Cattle%20in%20pickup.jpg

jltrent said:
If a person has farms in other states transporting cattle between them could be a problem it sounds like.

These are under 10k. We might see people going back to transporting cattle this way as not to many years ago that was the norm, until people started getting the goose-necks.

For folks like you and Kenny that are on the cusp of three states, I can see where that could be a real problem. Particularly if you have or use land that might only be a few miles away, but in a different state.

sstterry said:
jltrent said:

For folks like you and Kenny that are on the cusp of three states, I can see where that could be a real problem. Particularly if you have or use land that might only be a few miles away, but in a different state.
Hmmm...guess you register your trailer in 3 states and change plates at the border..... :hide:

I'm fixing to transport 21 head from Florida to Georgia. I've got the Trich tests and health certificates but no DOT number. Hope this doesn't cause an issue. It shouldn't since they are "MY" cattle that I'm transporting. Guess we will find out soon enough.

JMJ Farms said:
I'm fixing to transport 21 head from Florida to Georgia. I've got the Trich tests and health certificates but no DOT number. Hope this doesn't cause an issue. It shouldn't since they are "MY" cattle that I'm transporting. Guess we will find out soon enough.

What we were told, is that it is about the weight and not the ownership.
Edit- I will defer to Kenny in that I did have to leave a few minutes early.

snoopdog said:
What is a "covered farm vehicle" (CFV)?
PreviousNext
As defined in 49 CFR 390.5, a "covered farm vehicle" (CFV):

Travels in the State in which the vehicle is registered or in another State,
Is operated by an owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or by a family member or employee of the owner or operator
Transports agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch
Has a license plate or some other means specified by the State that identifies it as a farm vehicle
Is not used in for-hire motor carrier operations (but for-hire operations do not include use of a vehicle owned and operated by a tenant farmer to transport the landlord's portion of the crops under a crop-share agreement)
[From § 390.39] Is not transporting hazardous materials that require placarding, and either of the following:
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of 26,001 or less, in which case the CFV exemptions in § 390.39 apply anywhere in the United States
Has a GVW or GVWR (whichever is greater) of more than 26,001 pounds and travels within the State where it is registered or, if traveling out of the State where it is registered, stays within a 150 air miles of the owner or operator's farm or ranch. This is the most current reg that I can find, from 2014, so your information may be correct.This is from the fmcsa site.

Snoopdog, according to the DOT that only covers the CDL license exemption.

JMJ Farms said:
I know you will get your health paperwork checked at the FL state line but let us know if DOT is mentioned. Even the VA DOT officer stated that TN usually didn't bother anyone near the VA state line because it is common to see Farmers hauling across the line.
But KY gave us a fit for a while at the 25E tunnels but it's 40 miles either direction to the next spot to get into KY.

The DOT number is easy to get online and initially free. There is a cost per year to keep it and I think they stated $70. But it also opens you up to their inspection. The VA DOT actually offered to come do a 2 hour presentation for us soon so we could better understand it. I will post more then.
It almost seems that unless your hauling often it's worth taking a chance. But maybe not.

A neighbor had a lot of tobacco he was taking several loads to Danville Kentucky to sell. He was stopped and required to have a identifying sign on his truck or be fined. I saw it on his truck and ask why and that is what he said.

I don't see how they have the man power to do what they are asking. Sit for an hour at the TX/OK border along Interstate 35 and see how many pot loads cross not to mention folks like me hauling a gooseneck load. I don't know anyone with a regular truck and trailer that has a DOT number or has ever been stopped and asked for one.

bird dog said:
I don't see how they have the man power to do what they are asking. Sit for an hour at the TX/OK border along Interstate 35 and see how many pot loads cross not to mention folks like me hauling a gooseneck load. I don't know anyone with a regular truck and trailer that has a DOT number or has ever been stopped and asked for one.

Funny you mention that I 35 location as the only time I've ever seen any type of enforcement there besides the highway patrol is the Texas Animal Health Commission when the Duncan, OK pig sale is concluding. Everyone of those guys has a truck with a trailer pulled over.

kenny thomas said:
JMJ Farms said:
I know you will get your health paperwork checked at the FL state line but let us know if DOT is mentioned. Even the VA DOT officer stated that TN usually didn't bother anyone near the VA state line because it is common to see Farmers hauling across the line.
But KY gave us a fit for a while at the 25E tunnels but it's 40 miles either direction to the next spot to get into KY.

Ten4 Kenny. Will let y'all know how it goes.

Oregon says I need a DOT number but I don't need to have it on the vehicle unless it is a semi. Washington any commercial vehicle capable of hauling 16,000 pounds needed a DOT number on the vehicle and farmers were included as commercial. Oregon you can get an ag except drivers license to and don't need a CDL to haul ag products. Washington if the vehicle has farm plates you don't need a CDL. Health papers are required to haul interstate. A brand inspection is required to haul between the two states. In Nevada you are supposed to get a brand inspection any time you haul critters even within the state. Have a friend who worked at a sale yard in Nevada. Hauled a horse in to work and back home every week and was supposed to get a brand inspection every time. There is an annual inspection that you can get. Surprise, it cost a lot more.

JMJ Farms said:
From what DOT told me you conducting interstate commerce is the key point, he said same truck hauling a horse for trail riding or a RV didn't need a DOT number.

tom4018 said:
JMJ Farms said:
From what DOT told me you conducting interstate commerce is the key point, he said same truck hauling a horse for trail riding or a RV didn't need a DOT number.
So if you're buying a herd of cows, and moving them across state lines to your farm, not resell, is that interstate commerce?

JMJ Farms said:
tom4018 said:
JMJ Farms said:
So if you're buying a herd of cows, and moving them across state lines to your farm, not resell, is that interstate commerce?

Yep, you bought them across state lines and are bringing them back. There is a whole line of Supreme Court cases that deal with this. This is exactly how they enforced the discrimination laws of the 60's.

Latest posts