Hauling cattle, Own Trailer vs Hired

Help Support CattleToday:

Anyone not own a trailer? I am going to pick up a bull today and I have to keep reminding myself that I need to put the sticker on the license plate before I leave. It's been in the envelope since last year, that's how much I use a trailer. So, I have thought if I shouldn't just find someone that hauls livestock and sell it. Finding a reliable source may be tricky but I haven't tried yet. I have a nice Featherlite aluminum 16 footer that just sits most of the year and I have a small herd.
I can't imagine not having at least a small trailer. I sold my very old 16' W-W bumper pull and traded up to an 18-foot Boss GN. It can handle 8 cows if they are not too big, but most times seven is best. That said, I don't have enough trailer to all all my calves to town in the spring, so I like to hire a guy whenever I can. The thing about hiring a ride is that you also get an extra "hand." when loading. The difference in selling my old bumper pull and upgrading to the GN was about $1,300. Still, I'd like another bumper pull -- so handy, and once in awhile hooked it up to my wife's Suburban. Old rancher friend once advised me to move cattle with a semi whenever possible. He said those guys and their goosenecks charge you too much. Don't have a pot-load operation right now, but will always remember his advice.

I would like yall's opinion on hauling cattle in hot weather. I've got to pick up a couple of yearling longhorn steers and right now it's been between 100 and 104 deg F. It is only about a 90 minute run but I can only pick them up in the afternoon. Would you just wait till this heat spell breaks (and if it does we are talking 95 deg) to get them? There is no hurry to pick up. Monday it's supposed to be 111 So it's been crazy hot here.

I would like yall's opinion on hauling cattle in hot weather. I've got to pick up a couple of yearling longhorn steers and right now it's been between 100 and 104 deg F. It is only about a 90 minute run but I can only pick them up in the afternoon. Would you just wait till this heat spell breaks (and if it does we are talking 95 deg) to get them? There is no hurry to pick up. Monday it's supposed to be 111 So it's been crazy hot here.
I would think if the trailer has a tarp and open sides you would be fine. I really like the metal top solid sided trailers but it gets so hot here I'd worry about overheating the cattle. On the flip side I hauled a couple bulls 250 miles in 20* weather. I was worried about thier business freezing off but they handled it just fine.

I haul cattle in heat like that all the time. The trailers are regular pipe sides with tarps and our cattle are use to the heat.

Things like being stopped, stacking tight, etc will make the heat worse on them.

I've got a 14ft of my own if i
Need a bigger one I borrow from
A family member. I have thought about Buying Us a larger one but they ain't cheap and I've got access to one anything I need it