Hauling cattle, Own Trailer vs Hired

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
Anyone not own a trailer? I am going to pick up a bull today and I have to keep reminding myself that I need to put the sticker on the license plate before I leave. It's been in the envelope since last year, that's how much I use a trailer. So, I have thought if I shouldn't just find someone that hauls livestock and sell it. Finding a reliable source may be tricky but I haven't tried yet. I have a nice Featherlite aluminum 16 footer that just sits most of the year and I have a small herd.

If your cattle are in one location or can be herded to one location it can work. You will just need to plan ahead
and have someone dependable lined up. One less piece of equipment to maintain and license.
Reliability goes hand in hand with paying promptly and adequately.

that aluminum trailer will bring big bucks right now...id hate to be without one though..it's like a gun,when you need it ,you need it..if I sold that id find old cheapie to have on standby.....people aren't always ready to move, when you are. I like Being self sufficient ...

I don't have a trailer. I have a couple truckers I regularly use.

It would be nice to have a trailer the times I go to a sale barn and only get like 5 calves bought. Also I figure when I find lease ground and need to move calves from home to the lease, my own trailer would be nice.

It is easy to find someone with a big groundload trailer.

that aluminum trailer will bring big bucks right now...id hate to be without one though..it's like a gun,when you need it ,you need it..if I sold that id find old cheapie to have on standby.....people aren't always ready to move, when you are. I like Being self sufficient ...

Yeah this is my problem, I like being self sufficient as well. There are things when you look at them from strictly a financial perspective it may not look great but I think there is something to be said about not having to rely on others and I don't know how to put a price on it but it's definitely worth something. When we were hauling the bull home today I told my wife, "yeah, im probably not selling the trailer."

Anyone not own a trailer? I am going to pick up a bull today and I have to keep reminding myself that I need to put the sticker on the license plate before I leave. It's been in the envelope since last year, that's how much I use a trailer. So, I have thought if I shouldn't just find someone that hauls livestock and sell it. Finding a reliable source may be tricky but I haven't tried yet. I have a nice Featherlite aluminum 16 footer that just sits most of the year and I have a small herd.
It's a dilemma, isn't it?

I've owned trailers and hauled cattle for people, and paid for hauling. It would be nice if neighbors would go in together on a trailer and all be able to use it, but then there is always that one guy that is irresponsible with it. Someone always damages the trailer and won't repair it because, "it's just a trailer". But sometimes the damage is critical to safety or how it operates. The guy will loan it out to his friends and it disappears or a tire gets popped and replaced (maybe) with some old skin from a junk pile. Or else you borrow a trailer and it turns out the great looking tread on the tires is twenty years old and you pop two of them on the way to the sale barn when it's empty. The lights never work on a borrowed trailer... and probably not on your own. Brakes get used so little that the magnets get weak or they lock up on a hill and fry the shoes, drum, and put a flat spot on a tire. Why is it that you can drive a two wheel drive '68 Chevy for a hundred thousand miles on original grease and bearings... but that d**n stock trailer will burn a hub every five thousand miles with regular care?

Everyone is proud of their trailer... but I've always bought used and abused and then go through it to make everything work as it should. New floors, a little welding, regreasing, and getting the lights functional... and then I take care to back up without running into things.

I'd say sell the nice trailer and buy an old dog, either still functional or something you can repair. Cows aren't proud. The most expensive purebred will step into a POS and be just fine doing it. All they care about is how tall the grass is where they are going.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

If all I had to do was move cattle to and from the cow sale I wouldn't have a trailer. They have no issue with sending someone to get them. Heck after my heart surgery they came and helped me (did it for me) sort and load. They do it for a ridiculous cheap price. Problem is there's more to having cattle than that. You need to have a trailer.

My trailer is 35 years old now..I could sell it now ,for more than I give for it..it stays in the barn when not used ..wash it out aleast once a year..the rough cut oak floor is still in it ,that the former owner put in..I just replace a board now and then..

Well, we have 2. And we are definitely not a "large operation". The big one is essential for large loads or when I need to separate bulls on their way to the vet, hauling cull cows, moving bred heifers, etc. But a few years back, Mr TC asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told him a smaller bumper pull. Because that way I can handle the random trip to the vet, etc. by myself. Contrary to almost everyone else, it's just easier for me to hitch & back up a bumper pull.

We've let friends/neighbors borrow our trailers before (and not just the stock trailers). Not always, but sometimes they're returned in significantly worse shape & later than anticipated. It happens, pick your battles, because the same neighbors will lend a hand at a moment's notice.

I got a stock rack for my flatdeck trailer after I was charged $700 to bring 15 calves to the sale barn.. that was 10 years ago, they'd probably charge double now
Got a 20 ft Wilson a few years back, no regrets on that purchase
Dang how far was the trip? are did they charge you for both ways?

I currently own a rusty old junker 16' GN trailer that I made do with. It got to the point it wasn't safe to slam it full and hit the road so I've been borrowing a trailer and its a PITA. Trying to haul when the owner needs it, or go to pick it up and there's 5 ton of bagged feed to unload, or get back from hauling at 10pm and don't feel like washing it out that night but doing it anyway because the owner needs it back at 7am the next day. I'm grateful that he let's me borrow his trailer at a moments notice but will be glad when my new trailer arrives in about a month.

We keep a very small trailer for buying bulls, moving injured animals, few calves here and there, maybe some heifers, private treaty stuff.

When it's time to sell to the barn, they send a trailer and will send people to help load and every thing for dirt cheap.

If I have to move big groups that won't fit in our little trailet I have plenty of buddies that will bring big trailers.

I need just enough trailer for convienence. For heavy hauling I've always found it cheaper to hire it out.

I just bought my amazing 16' stock trailer bumper pull from a farm auction last week...pulled it 310 miles home...pulled straight and great even with older 6 ply tires which I'll update to 10 ply. I'm having fun reconditioning it. You know, for myself a small operation, I don't want to rely on anyone else, (wait time and money) to move my cattle...it's convenience. In addition the liability of borrowing other people equipment.....it's been my integrity... you break it you fix it better than new. ...so why borrow.

If your not hauling cattle with it and keep it washed out. It's amazing how handy a 16' trailer is. Go to the lumber yard, haul the lawn mower, help friends move, ect.
I have an absolute best to death 16' steel GN that hauls between farms and close to home. Hasn't had a sticker in 3 years. Big loads and custom work gets done with a 24' Wilson.

Latest posts