Transportation question

Help Support CattleToday:

You got that right, boss man! It just occurred to me while reading this account about those 10 that might be bred to the Mexican fighting bull. A lot of the nay-sayers on here, those that don't know shyte from shinola about Corriente, Corriente x Angus crosses, (probably never seen one live), or just cattle in general say that they think these cross bred calves have " axe asses", meaning too narrow a rear end, I guess. Well, IF that fighting bull puts more bulk on those calves, like those cattle themselves have. And IF they are as hardy, disease and parasite and worm free as the Corrs are. And IF they don't get any taller than pb Corrs, And IF they thrive on the kinda forage Corrs do. And IF they are as cheap, you might ought to see George about getting 1 or 2 of those bulls. I think there is even a ranch in Texas or New Mexico that breeds them and keeps the registry. Or hell, if one of these 10 are bred to that bull, and has a bull calf, don't cut it..keep it. a Corr momma cow built like UGA....see where I am going.

I know youare in the studio tonight mixing the boys' new album. I am about to turn in now, and you won't get back til 2 or 3 AM! Let me know what you think on here or FB , or call me tomorrow.
Scott said when he took a roll out there tonight, that the big blue roan from the green tag herd...the 10 exposed to the Mexican fighting bull.....came up to the feeders with a new black calf! He said he hadn;t seen her since Sunday night, and now we know why!! I kinda hope the other 9 aren't open now, and are bred the same way. Looks like 1st of March, Bo is gonna use my rig to carry that Dash for Cash/ Mr. Jess Perry filly to that trainer in Ruidoso. I think it is about 90 miles from El Paso or something like that. I am gonna get George to get up to 20 head from the farm with the fighting bull, and Bo will bring them back. And guess who I decided ought to go with him?!!!! 😜

Scott has been putting the hay on our new bird-hunting wagon (with the dog box off) and pulling it with our mules over to the big pasture where all of the new cows and the black bulls are. Our 4 heifers from the original herd we sold this spring are over there and have all calved. Between them and the bulls running up when they hear the wagon, the new cows are settling down pretty good. When he has help he gets someone to ride over there as well, and just ease around amongst the cows when they start eating. This just may be the tightest calving window we ever got come fall. He says every time he goes over there, the bulls all have a cow they are breeding or trying to.

The new heifers up in the Kudzu patch are a different story. We bushogged some roads in and around our prime quail spots, and every day Scott has driven the wagon on them to help get the vegetation worn off the tracks. He said he has seen more deer and coyote than those heifers...never seen one yet, actually. We gonna hunt this weekend on horseback, and while we are there we gonna try and find them. They are still in there, or at least some of them are. We can see tracks where they have gone into the front part of the arena where the salt and minerals are. He said he put a roll of peanut hay out between the arena and the pond to see if they will start coming around. It is times like this that I hate living 3 hours away. But once gnat season comes, I get over it! :)

Not this weekend but the next, gonna carry my rope horse down with me, and we gonna tag that half Mecican fighting bull calf, the 4 calves from our heifers, and any more of those "open" cows that may calve between now and then. The 10 cows from the ranch that were exposed to the Mexican fighting bull had green tags, the 20 form the other had yellow tags, and the 70 from George's place have blaze orange. We gonna tag their calves with the same color tags. We used blue on ours, so will keep on with blue for their calves.

The black bulls have been with them 10 days now. we gonna keep them another 30 days, then send them home. I am afraid when they get these cows bred they may start eying our mare mules! LOL

Scott has been putting the hay on our new bird-hunting wagon ( with the dog box off) and pulling it with our mules over to the big pasture where all of the new cows and the black bulls are. Our 4 heifers from the original herd we sold this spring are over there and have all calved. Between them and the bulls running up when they hear the wagon, the new cows are settling down pretty good. When he has help he gets someone to ride over there as well, and just ease around amongst the cows when they start eating. This just may be the tightest calving window we ever got come fall. He says every time he goes over there, the bulls al have a cow they are breeding or trying to.

The new heifers up in the Kudzu patch are a different story. We bushogged some roads in and around our prime quail spots, and every day Scott has driven the wagon on them to help get the vegetation worn off the tracks. He said he has seen more deer and coyote than those heifers...never seen one yet, actually. We gonna hunt this weekend on horseback, and while we are there we gonna try and find them. They are still in there, or at least some of them are. We can see tracks where they have gone into the front part of the arena where the salt and minerals are. He said he put a roll of peanut hay out between the arena and the pond to see if they will start coming around. It is times like this that I hate living 3 hours away. But once gnat season comes, I get over it! :)

Last edited:
Saturday went very well. Got a lot of quail, limited out on rabbit, dogs ( beagles and bird) worked flawlessly. We had Scott's wife follow us with the mule team and wagon...just wanted to see how they did with the gunfire, etc. and they did super. We did find the heifers... pine stand in the very back northwest corner of the place. I just rode up to Torro ( one of our 2 corr bulls we rotate each year). I call him Torro because he is short and black, and has horns like the Mexican fighting bulls have) and draped a rope around his horns,and started leading him out toward the open pasture, and down it for a while. Those heifers all eventually lined out behind him, and we counted all of them when we got them all in the open. All were there.

We got back to the front, put the bird dogs out and the mules up, and decided to ride over and look at the rst of them across the road. We are riding our gaited hunting horses..no QHs down there at the time. Our 4 last years heifers with their new calves were hanging by the round bale in the dove field, and those were easy to heel and just step off and work them.. 3 heifers and a bull calf, so we only had to tag 4 and band one.
The big blue roan with the horns that stick up like a Fla Scub or Pineywoods took off for the cotton field pasture when we got close to the heifers that we were tagging their calves. After we were done, we rode over to the pasture that cow had run to. 100 acre pasture, fenced-in row crop land. Almost a perfect rectangle with nary a tree nor bush nor ditch in it. Basically a 100 acre arena., and that bitch standing square in the middle of it. Again, we were on gaited horses...not a prayer in the world of catching her, and those horses wouldn't know how to handle one that big on a rope. We were able to get close enough to the calf to ssee he was a heifer, so didn't need anything but a tag. so we left them alone. Will carry my cow horses down next weekend and we will get it then. Noticed 2 more of the green tagged cows that looked like they might come in any day, so might have 3 to do Saturday.

Last edited:
How are the calves looking? Are these out of the fighting bulls?
Only one by the Mexican fighting bull is that one out of the blue roan cow (supposed to be open) The other 4 are heifers left from 2021 crop, and they arte bred to our Cor bull. The one sired by the Mexican bull, for now, looks just like all the pure corrs do. She is solid black, too.

That's neat. Those heifers from 2021 are pure corriente or half? Will these be ropers?
No. I don't keep half breeds, I sell them for $750 and up. We put a Corr bull in with our herd, after we pull the Brangus bulls we have had in with them for 45 days. Any that got missed will be bred by the Corr bull. Some years none..one year 10, 2021 we had 4. Bull Corr calves we will steer, and yes, these go to teamropers, or I might take some home to rope. When a cow has a Corr heifer, we add it to the herd.

How are the calves looking? Are these out of the fighting bulls?
By the way, that Chianina x Brahma heifer I had,that got tagged by our Corr bull when I was in the hospital last spring? And I sold her to the man I bought the 80 Brahmas for? It calved yesterday. Bull calf. And Wayne said it was a mousy grey with red and black roaning, very minimal spots. I called Scott and told him, and I told him I was sorry I traded him such a sorry calf on that gun deal/ But I reminded him that HE was the one that put our Corr bull in with them! He said " Well, we will wean the thing in June, and feed the hell out of it til opening day, then BBQ him on a spit for one of the items at our cookout that Sat night. I have never cooked anything any bigger than a rabbit or squirrel that way, so I dunno. I think it will be a lot of work, a long hot day roasting it, and neither one of us knows how to do it. I am leaning towards grinding the whole thing into beef sausage to grill like you brats, etc.

Last edited:
By the way, that Chianina x Brahma heifer I had,that got tagged by our Corr bull when I was in the hospital last spring? And I sold her to the man I bought the 80 Brahmas for? It calved yesterday. Bull calf. And Wayne said it was a mousy grey with red and black roaning, very minimal spots. I called Scott and told him, and I told him I was sorry I traded him such a sorry calfon that gun deal/ But I reminded him that HE was the one that put our Corr bull in with them! He said " Well, we will wean the thing in June, and feed the hell out of it til opening day, then BBQ him on a spit for one of the items at our cookout that Sat night. I have never booked anything any bigger than a rabbit or squirrel that way, so I dunno. I think it will be a lot of wrok, a long hot day roasting it, and neither one of us knows how to do it. I am leaning towards grinding the whole thing into beef sausage to grill like you brats, etc.
Cook it in the ground like a pig...

I have never seen a beef cooked like this? HAve you ever done it? Or seen it done? I am gonna ut this on the coking thread and see is anyone has? Thanks for the idea, Murray
I've only heard stories.

Good friend who's long gone now used to talk about cooking of all kinds years ago.

I don't figure that standing over a smoky fire, hacking your lungs up, attempting to brush the steer to keep it moist in the woods in September in the heat is a winning strategy for a man not one year out from heart problems that can cause one to be more easily fatigued and prone to other issues, so I'd say that knocks the spit out unless you can fetch young help that drinks a lot of water.

I don't figure that standing over a smoky fire, hacking your lungs up, attempting to brush the steer to keep it moist in the woods in September in the heat is a winning strategy for a man not one year out from heart problems that can cause one to be more easily fatigued and prone to other issues, so I'd say that knocks the spit out unless you can fetch young help that drinks a lot of water.
I won't be standing by a fire hardly at all. Or doing much of the work at all. That MC I told about on the other thread, that comes every year just to eat that night, but pays the whole $250 ? Well, last year it was just 5 weeks after my heart surgeries, and it was rough. The Prez was concerned about how I looked, and they didn;t let me touch a thing the rest of the night. and he told me that this year there will be two prospects there from when I get there Friday morning til I leave Sunday. He said their orders will be that I am not to pick up a thin, not even a stick of firewood, and I will not be allowed to prep, or cook, or do much of anything other than sit by a large fan under a pop=up! LOL
Now, that ain't gonna happen, but this last year I am learning that I have to listen to my body and respect limits. I plan on sticking around a while longer, good Lord willing.

Not going down this weekend...I am going to this sale to help support these kids. tonight. I go every year and help them out...watching the bidding and doing what I can to help these kids get top dollar for them. I may buy the Chi-Angus and/or the black Simm heifers . We decided to not tag calves this weekend. Next Saturday Robert is coming after the bulls we used, and the man buying the 18 black Corrs is coming to get them. We gonna take both of them on a quail hunt that morning, using our new quail hunting wagon and mule team, then grill them some lunch. I had wanted to talk to Robert about keeping one of those bulls. He uses black Simm, Chi-angus and Brahma in developing his "new breed". I do not need them...don't have a place for them, really, but I am thinking I may see if Robert wants them in exchange for the bull of his I want. Yeah, I will probably have to pay more than they are worth, and the value of the heifer/heifers will most likely be more than the bull's. But, I know whose kid shows the Simms, and whose grandkids show the Chi-angus. One is a large corporate insurance client, and the other is President of one of the banks that I use sometimes to get those company signature notes from. You know...the loans that some people on here say you can't get?:)
I bought his one year when he was in high school and showed one year.

Last edited:
Well, got some things done this weekend down there. Robert came to get his bulls, and brought me another Chianina x Charbray to carry to El Paso next week or two. He left one of the black bulls with us til planting time in April, just in case one of the Mexican Corrs does have a calf between now and then. Client met me down there Saturday and picked up the 18 black corrs @$800 each, guaranteed bred to those black bulls. ( Another reason I wanted to keep one...just in case one of them got missed and we needed to rebreed her. ) I now have 82 out of the 100 I bought, and I have $1600 in them. $19.50 a head! And in 15 months, we will wean 83 500+lb black polled calves off of them. About $700-$750 each.

Next week or so, before March 1st, Bo is gonna take his horse to Ruidoso, that Chi bull to El Paso, and bring back the 15 head George put together for me. These will be solid black Corr cows bred to a black Mexican fighting bull. These a little higher...$325 each. $4875. Trading the bull in on them at $2k, and I bought it for $1200. So will have about $4075 in them. Bo is carrying my trailer and his truck, and fuel should run about $1500 -$1600. I am paying $1k of it, so that brings me to $5075 in 15 cows. ...$338 per head. So, their first Brangus calf will only bring twice what their mommas cost, instead of 3 times like the others. The man who bought those 18 black ones last week offered me $900 a head for these I am getting. I told him I dunno.....have to wait and see. I could sell him six I guess and have 9 left over with zero cost in them and a $325 profit already. See, that is why I like these so much...you'd have to put forth a continuos, concerted effort to not make money with them. And even then there is no guarantee you wouldn't make a profit.

I am just glad I ain't going back this time. Seems like every day I get a month older. That trip last month liked to have killed me to death!

Latest posts