Transportation question

Help Support CattleToday:

Did the cows come from across the border? If so they have some requirements they have to follow and be inspected. Also they will probably have horns which may effect how many you can safely ship regardless of the weight.

I'm not even sure if they will do it at Eastland but it is a good place and good people. Cattle from here going to Colorado get unloaded at a place just west of Kansas City that's designed just for that. 1.5 hours was $300 I think. But that may have went up. The trucking companies can answer all those questions as to where and how much. It's possible to haul them straight through if they have 2 drivers. Maybe 1 driver with a toothpick. Lol
Mapquest says 22 hours. Corriente are tough, and might could make it ok. I am going to call Capitol tomorrow and talk to them. I have 2 weeks or so to figure it out.

Did the cows come from across the border? If so they have some requirements they have to follow and be inspected. Also they will probably have horns which may effect how many you can safely ship regardless of the weight.
They better have horns! They are Corriente heifers and cows. They come out of Chihuahua and they can be crossed over, inspected and released the same day. My friend is a cattle broker from Chihuahua, and he has gotten me cattle before. And for the last 4 or 5 years I send him 2 or 3 Chianina bulls a year that he sells in Venezuela and Brazil. Been getting $2500 each from him for these 900-1000 lb young bulls. Now he wants 9 or 10, He will trade me 100 Corrs at $250 each. it costs him about $44 per cow to get them inspected, documented, etc. So, we are talking trading 100 Corrs at $25k, for 10 Chianina bulls at $25k. I will only have about $15=$18k in the bulls, but now I found out it wil costs me $6k to get them here, plus $1000k to get the bulls there. I can still come out ahead. I'd be trading $18k in bulls plus $7k both ways in shipping.

I'm not even sure if they will do it at Eastland but it is a good place and good people. Cattle from here going to Colorado get unloaded at a place just west of Kansas City that's designed just for that. 1.5 hours was $300 I think. But that may have went up. The trucking companies can answer all those questions as to where and how much. It's possible to haul them straight through if they have 2 drivers. Maybe 1 driver with a toothpick. Lol
What town west of KC is that?

It was in Salina KS. But I was just told tfat the older guy that owned it died and it's closed also.
My wife's sister lives in that area. I didn't know there was anything like that there, but there's a lot I don't know.

It would make sense for something like that to be there, two interstates meet there.

I could get a load to you for $4.50 a loaded mile. My trailer is 53 ft, could probably load around 75 hd depending on weight.
Thanks, midTN Brangus, I will keep that in mind. That would run me about $6800. We have about decided to go get them ourselves in 3 trailers, if I can find 3 more bulls like he wants . Me, my grandson, Scott and his grandson, and Scott's brother Robert and his son. They all want to see that border crossing place in El Paso, It will cost us about 750 gallons in fuel, a bout 4000, plus food for 6 people for 3 days. I found 2 horses to deliver to El Paso which will pay about $3k. I have found 7 Chianina bulls , but having a hard time finding the other 3 at the price I want to give. Scott's brother has three 19 -20 months old that are 3/8ths Brahma 3/8ths Chianina and 1/4th Charolais. I got a call in to George ( he pronounces it Whore Hay) to see if they will work. If so, we gonna leave Sunday to be in El Paso at 10 AM or so. George will have the Corriente herd there when they open Monday, and our cows will be passed through and ready to go by the time we get there. If all goes well, we will be back before dark Tuesday. In the past, mostly because of how it worked out with our hunting, we calved the Kudzu Corriente herd in February , and weaned them a week or so before Labor day. With these, we gonna breed them in late January til mid-February, for Oct-Nov calves, which we will wean and sell about end of April 1sr of May. That is depending on those 100 Cors are all open. No telling how many may be bred, and how far along, but at the approx $150-$160 net costs I will have in them, I can make it work for the year or so it may take to get them all calving when we want them too.

Anybody think about this, to get cattle across the border is very by the book. But there are thousands of illegals crossing the border and getting put on a plane or bus and ending up who knows where.
Yeah but those cattle could be carrying diseases or be stolen………..wait a minute……..

When I was at the Graham School a few years ago there was a young man there that operated a large ranch in Mexico. In talking with him about his operation I swear he said any heifers they sent over the border had to be spayed. Maybe that was for a particular deal he had working but I found that pretty interesting.

Yeah but those cattle could be carrying diseases or be stolen………..wait a minute……..

When I was at the Graham School a few years ago there was a young man there that operated a large ranch in Mexico. In talking with him about his operation I swear he said any heifers they sent over the border had to be spayed. Maybe that was for a particular deal he had working but I found that pretty interesting.
I hadn't considered that but now that you mentioned it all I have seen were spayed.

Yep, any originating in a Mexican state other than Chihuahua do.

You will usually pay a rate per mile plus a fuel surcharge, plus a layover or stop off charge if you will feed the cows for a few hours. Your best bet is find a backhaul rate, that is guy from the East looking for load to get back home. In a dry van, we pay 0.65/mile FSC Then again, a cattle rig may priced as an all in rate.

Thanks, midTN Brangus, I will keep that in mind. That would run me about $6800. We have about decided to go get them ourselves in 3 trailers, if I can find 3 more bulls like he wants . Me, my grandson, Scott and his grandson, and Scott's brother Robert and his son. They all want to see that border crossing place in El Paso, It will cost us about 750 gallons in fuel, a bout 4000, plus food for 6 people for 3 days. I found 2 horses to deliver to El Paso which will pay about $3k. I have found 7 Chianina bulls , but having a hard time finding the other 3 at the price I want to give. Scott's brother has three 19 -20 months old that are 3/8ths Brahma 3/8ths Chianina and 1/4th Charolais. I got a call in to George ( he pronounces it Whore Hay) to see if they will work. If so, we gonna leave Sunday to be in El Paso at 10 AM or so. George will have the Corriente herd there when they open Monday, and our cows will be passed through and ready to go by the time we get there. If all goes well, we will be back before dark Tuesday. In the past, mostly because of how it worked out with our hunting, we calved the Kudzu Corriente herd in February , and weaned them a week or so before Labor day. With these, we gonna breed them in late January til mid-February, for Oct-Nov calves, which we will wean and sell about end of April 1sr of May. That is depending on those 100 Cors are all open. No telling how many may be bred, and how far along, but at the approx $150-$160 net costs I will have in them, I can make it work for the year or so it may take to get them all calving when we want them too.
So are you there yet?

Latest posts