Tractor size for disc mower?

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
I am shopping for a disc mower before my next cutting and need a little help. I have a Kubota M5640 tractor with a FEL and water in the tires. Its 56hp. I was using a 7' Kuhn that just isn't worth fixing anymore and had to finish with my sickle. I stopped by the local tractor dealer to price some cutters today and they carry Krone cutters. I was looking at a AM 243 S that is 7'11" and 1146lbs. The salesman that sold me the tractor last year is trying to tell me I can pull a AM 283 S that is 9'2" and 1333lbs. (Maybe because he has them there already). The advertised HP requirements are 55. I could handle the 7' Kuhn no problems but I'm not sure about the 9' Krone. I will be cutting Bermuda and Bahia grass and it isn't super hilly here. Any advice on which you would go with?

Wonder if he would bring it out and let you try it on your tractor? I know it's not much help to you but I cut with an 8' disc mower on a 7040. Lots of hills here. I don't think I would want to drag the 9' in real thick stuff here. I think my tractor would feel kinda light with the 9'.

fitz

i have a TN 65 NH about the same size as yours. I use a 8ft kuhn but its all it wants i wouldnt want a 9ft for mine it would be to much it may do it but id think on hilly ground the 9ft would slow you down.

fitz":leinctgf said:
Wonder if he would bring it out and let you try it on your tractor? I know it's not much help to you but I cut with an 8' disc mower on a 7040. Lots of hills here. I don't think I would want to drag the 9' in real thick stuff here. I think my tractor would feel kinda light with the 9'.

fitz
You are helping. Your tractor is heavier than mine.

bse":26b5po8o said:
i have a TN 65 NH about the same size as yours. I use a 8ft kuhn but its all it wants i wouldnt want a 9ft for mine it would be to much it may do it but id think on hilly ground the 9ft would slow you down.
It may work but I was thinking the same thing. If I have to slow down the extra foot isn't helping.

bse":1vg1eroe said:

Friend has a cabbed TN75 with fluid and weights on rears. He is running a 9'. That tractor is a lot heavier than the Kubota.
I remember the dealer suggested he bring the mower home and try it 1st to make sure the tractor would handle it. I think I would go with the 8'.

fitz

Had a 70 horse ford that would slow down with my 8ft old model krone in thick grass, my 9540 would not blink , I would stick with the 8ft.

That tractor must have been worn out. My 5000 pulls same size Gehl disc mower just fine.

ive got the MX5100 HST wich is about the same as your kubota.an i to thought about getting a disc mower for it.an i decided if i did the 8ft would be all it wanted.now with a caddy itll be easier to pull as the weights on the caddy.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go with the 8 footer. I would rather be informed by some folks with experience than a salesman.