Toyota farm truck?

Help Support CattleToday:

I only have the one place right now. I leave my four wheeler at the barn and use it from there vs the truck normally. It was down a while back and I borrowed Dads utv. For spraying and heavier hauling it was great, but for what I normally do, running around and checking, fixing fence, etc I prefer the four wheeler because I don't have to go to the fence gaps to get to the next pasture, much faster. I lean forward with a standoff insulator, hook the hot wire, raise it up and drive under it, then let wire slip out of the insulator. Wouldn't have enough slack to do that with a utv with ROP cage on it. I can get a lot of places through the woods that a utv can't go, either for height or being able to manipulate the center of gravity. Love a four wheeler, wish my Grandpa had one when he was doing it. Once used to it, we wouldn't be able to get him off it. He walked a gillion miles on that place looking for calves.

I could not get by without my Mule. No way could I use a small truck in the pastures.

I would not mind a small truck for going town or hauling small loads. Just can't justify the added expense.

See a lot of Tacomas around here for utility work but need a larger stronger truck for hauling. Think Nissan is coming out with a larger one this year with Cummins engine but haven't seen one yet.

ATV STANDS FOR? ________ _____ ______
RTV STANDS FOR? ________ _____ ______
UTV STANDS FOR? ________ _____ ______

City Guy":1u01r398 said:
ATV STANDS FOR? ________ _____ ______
RTV STANDS FOR? ________ _____ ______
UTV STANDS FOR? ________ _____ ______

Im not sure exactly what they stand for but in general.

All Terrain
Recreational
Utility

atv is usually referring to 4 wheelers. RTV are like the Razors and the other pretty sporty stuff. Utility vehicles are the Mules, Gators, Rangers, Kubotas...

farmboy80":o5kv840m said:
Going to be looking for a 3/4 ton truck. Just curious why you don't see any Toyota or Nissan farm trucks. Is it just because there foreign? Or are there other reasons?
I am not sure why really but yu really dont see them used that much in the cattle business nor the oilfield. I had an 01 Tundra that would pull like a bat out of hell loaded down with 2 suzuki samurais and 4 heeling gear. I had I Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl/5spd/2wd....prolly best truck I ever had. I used it on my winch up bale buggy and it lift the back axle of truck u of the ground, then trailer would break over. The new Tundras have the power to pull, I do not think they have the weight to handle the load. my only example is towing a 12k off shore boat with no trailer brakes. THe Tundra 4 door 4x4 with 5.7 had the power to pull it, just not the rear to stop it. The boat would push the truck. Same boat on my F250 crew cab 4x4, no issues and my 250 is a gasser

farmboy80":2a6af0q1 said:
Going to be looking for a 3/4 ton truck. Just curious why you don't see any Toyota or Nissan farm trucks. Is it just because there foreign? Or are there other reasons?

I wouldnt use the smaller Toyo or Nissan as a pull truck but as a run around the ranch work truck they work great. We kind of use the pick to the tool for the job mentality. We have a 1 ton pull truck that we use for pulling the goose neck trailers for auction, go pick up fertilizer and cubes etc. We also have several atvs and a utv for when it makes sense. We have a 2012 Toyo 4x4 that dad likes to use and I have a 2006 Nissan 4x4 that I use for general ranch work. They are both outfitted with all usual ranch tool boxes and heavy bumpers and since this is South Texas we have very generous levels of slime and 10ply tires. The smaller 4x4 trucks are great in the pastures and can even get into portions of the working pens when needed. They are light and smaller that the big 1 ton and much easier on the landscape and cost much less to operate. The big trucks with the big heavy front ends love to sink in the mud or sand and get stuck way more often than the smaller Toto or NIssan. At times I use the atvs or the utv but to be honest whenever I take one of those it seams that I always wish that I had the truck with all my tools, or it rains and I miss the windows and the heater or AC... it is south Texas after all and we can have all four seasons in less than six hours ;)

But with that said I am a large man and prefer to be in a big truck..... until I have to cross muddy creek or a sand field.

Latest posts