Top seed/broadcasting clover

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I top seeded/broadcast white & red clover last Saturday and we had good freezing both Saturday and Sunday nights. I still have some to do can I get by if I just have one night of good freezing when I broadcast?

It really takes a bunch of freeze/thaw cycles to work real well. That's why for this area they tell you to do it in early February

We seeded some Sunday and had a very hard rain yesterday walked out tonight could not find the first exposed seed. But always remember it can't germinate in the bag and it loses germination every year.

We topseed clover in with our fertilzer every year. We try to do it early in the year, but due to the weather, have waited until the grass has started to grow so we didn't rut up the pastures on occasion... to the naked eye- a difference was never noted.

kfacres":2k4m6izs said:
We topseed clover in with our fertilzer every year. We try to do it early in the year, but due to the weather, have waited until the grass has started to grow so we didn't rut up the pastures on occasion... to the naked eye- a difference was never noted.

A difference in?

How much clover seed per acre,
and what kind of catch do you get with the fertilizer buggy application?

Stocker Steve":1p1iip45 said:
kfacres":1p1iip45 said:

A difference in?

How much clover seed per acre,
and what kind of catch do you get with the fertilizer buggy application?
sorry, I jacked up my account- so had to get a new one.

No difference noted in stand of new clover with time of application-- in all honesty the year that we didn't get it spread until Mayish-- we had the best stand of clover I've ever seen from interseeding it in.

The seeding rates will vary with what kind of pasture you have growing- and the quality of it. Anywhere from 6-10# will work- depending on how much grass, what kinds, how many weeds, your fertility, your goals, etc.

With a buggy application, or a fert truck like we have- you will want to drive slow and use a narrow spreader width, the reason is that the clover seed will not fly as good as the granular fertilizer does-- and so I've found that when we spread on a 60' width-- the clover seed only gets spread on the 30' center.

The best way to spread something like this-- is to get a true spread-- which just drops the fert or seed straight down. This is also what we recommend for seeding the fluffy warm season grasses-- with a carrier of about 30# potash.

I preach interseeding red clover or other legumes into your pastures every year-- is the best source of investment one can make.

One thing I forgot to mention- that poundage- is in PLS.

I bet it will come up. It would have been a little better planted earlier.

Latest posts